Elon Musk expects 'Apple Car' to be late to market, estimates volume production by 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
Speaking at Re/code's Code Conference, Tesla founder Elon Musk restated assumptions that Apple -- not Google -- will one day be an automotive industry contender, but said the mythical project is already a "missed opportunity."

Musk was interviewed by Re/code's Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, who went down the inevitable "Apple Car" rabbit hole about halfway through Wednesday's onstage appearance.

When asked about potential competition in the self-driving car space, Musk, as usual, voiced his support for Apple's as-yet-unannounced efforts. But he couldn't resist the opportunity to put in a small jab.

"I think it's great they're doing this, and I hope it works out," he said. "It's just a missed opportunity. It's a couple years...they'll make a good car and be successful."

In Musk's estimation, Apple should have committed to its electric vehicle project sooner, adding that "Apple Car" production is unlikely to start before 2020. The guess lines up with rumors last year which claimed Apple's car would enter manufacturing by 2020, an aggressive timeline for a company taking its first crack at a notoriously cutthroat heavy industry.

While Musk anticipates a so-called "Apple Car," he doesn't see the same for Google. Through its X Labs, Google has already logged more than 1.5 million miles on its self-driving car platform, though industry watchers believe the internet search giant plans to license any technology gleaned from the project to a major automotive manufacturer. Musk agrees.

Apple is widely speculated to be developing an electric, potentially self-driving, car under the auspices of a secret project codenamed Titan. AppleInsider first uncovered evidence of Apple's automotive facilities in Sunnyvale, Calif., last year. Since then, the company has reportedly expanded the operation to include hundreds of engineers, software developers and industry experts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting but I see zero demand for self driving cars.   Now more variety and better pricing in electric cars, that could be a big win.  
    mike1brucemcjosha
  • Reply 2 of 82
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    The future is self driving cars. You won't own a car but just hail one via an app/other method. It will come to you. Drive you to your destination and then drive off. 
    techprod1gyicoco3techloverjony0bdkennedy1002lostkiwifreshmaker
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Here's the problem, Elon.

Apple was also "late to the market" in the phone and tablet game and looked how that turned out.

edited June 2016 applesauce007slprescottlatifbppalomineradarthekattechprod1gybrucemcpatchythepiratejony0cwingrav
  • Reply 4 of 82
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    In the not too distant future, people will roll their eyes about self-driving cars, and will not understand how anyone could buy a car that you have to drive yourself. Silly idea, to have a self-driving car, when you can use your time much better, while the auto-motive car drives to its destination without any more input from its passengers than, well, the destination. Does anyone think the aeronautics industry urgently needs to move to planes that people have to fly themselves to their desired destination? Flying for a little fun, or as hoppy, OK. But not for your every day commute in a crowded airspace. Same for cars.
    techprod1gydoozydozenXavalon
  • Reply 5 of 82
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macapfel said:
    In the not too distant future, people will roll their eyes about self-driving cars, and will not understand how anyone could buy a car that you have to drive yourself. Silly idea, to have a self-driving car, when you can use your time much better, while the auto-motive car drives to its destination without any more input from its passengers than, well, the destination. Does anyone think the aeronautics industry urgently needs to move to planes that people have to fly themselves to their desired destination? Flying for a little fun, or as hoppy, OK. But not for your every day commute in a crowded airspace. Same for cars.
    I can't wait. I'll just sleep for the whole journey.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 325member
    I can't wait to get rid of my cars. And to not see parked cars everywhere. And to lose all the signs on streets to direct traffic. And the silence everywhere. Can't wait for this future.
    palominelatifbpradarthekatnolamacguytechprod1gyiqatedojony0cwingravpropodjosha
  • Reply 7 of 82
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    I would rather have an Apple car than a Tesla. 
    Apple has higher quality standards than Tesla.
    Apple's car wouldn't have all the flaws that Tesla has.  The flaws are so numerous, Consumer Reports was forced to place Tesla on its not-recommended list.

Musk's Apple remarks show his sour grapes attitude.
    mejsriclatifbpradarthekatcalijony0doozydozenlostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 82
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Apple's car wouldn't have all the flaws that Tesla has.  The flaws are so numerous, Consumer Reports was forced to place Tesla on its not-recommended list.

Cars are far more complicated than anything Apple makes.   Some of the best manufactures on the planet still have flaws in every model they introduce.   
    irelandlord amhranaylkdoozydozenlostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 82
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Prediction: "You're sitting in it wrong."

doozydozenfreshmakeranton zuykov
  • Reply 10 of 82
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    jonl said:
    Prediction: "You're sitting in it wrong."

"Your opening the doors wrong"
  • Reply 11 of 82
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member

Have you looked closely at many Apple products lately?  I would say they're filled with flaws, bugs, and shoddy design (along with slow development speed). It's not the same company it was several years ago, and I doubt that a logistics guy like Tim Cook can lead Apple into a major new venture like cars without a lot of mistakes. 

Tesla has had a tremendous head start, has a lot of credibility in the market and has a CEO who has very strong product and strategic instincts, which is not something you can seriously say for Tim Cook. 

That Musk has good instincts and has the organizational power to make big, bold bets makes him able to move Tesla quickly in important directions (like Jobs could). Tim Cook has the organizational power but not the instincts, and that will slow Apple down, and be a burden against Tesla. 

mobius
  • Reply 12 of 82
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Through its X Labs, Google has already logged more than 1.5 miles on its self-driving car platform, though industry watchers believe the internet search giant plans to license any technology gleaned from the project to a major automotive manufacturer. Musk agrees.
    Wow. A whole mile and a half. 
    irelandlarryalatifbpking editor the gratecalipscooter63JinTechtdknoxdoozydozenanton zuykov
  • Reply 13 of 82
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    snova said:

Through its X Labs, Google has already logged more than 1.5 miles on its self-driving car platform, though industry watchers believe the internet search giant plans to license any technology gleaned from the project to a major automotive manufacturer. Musk agrees.
    Wow. A whole mile and a half. 
    But only 3 accidents!
    king editor the gratecalijax44doozydozenlostkiwianton zuykov
  • Reply 14 of 82
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    For Musk, a "missed opportunity" means lost bragging rights of being first. I believe Apple defines opportunity in terms of profit. Despite substantial government subsidies for those who buy his cars, Mr. Musk had not turned a profit yet. The frequent comparisons he draws between his own operations and Apple demonstrate Musk's insecurities.
    radarthekatcalianton zuykov
  • Reply 15 of 82
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

Apple has a higher quality when it comes to design and hardware.  In software and services it is a mixed bag: some items are great, others are definitely not so great (iCloud , Apple Music App, Numbers, ...).  Apple has currently no experience in the mechanical aspect of cars (how  will it behave on the road).  It remains to be seen if Apple will be able to fulfill the expectations in that part
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 16 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Hate the way Recode do a WSJ on it and wait ages to release the actual full interviews with the people you're actually interested in. Just slap up the interview on YouTube after it's recorded and put an ad in front of it if necessary.
    edited June 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 17 of 82
    wizard69 said:
    Interesting but I see zero demand for self driving cars.   Now more variety and better pricing in electric cars, that could be a big win.  

Zero demand? They don't exist yet. Think an app and service whereby you could arrive at an airport in a foreign land and a car is waiting especially for you can you get in and without pause it takes you to your hotel and doesn't rip you off. Then, optionally, after differ you call a car and it takes you around this unfamiliar city and gives you an audible tour with monuments and POI appearing on the giant display in front of you. It could even send to your phone a list of places and things to do it feels you may be interested in the following day. You could wake up the next day and if you need a car it'd be waiting for you and if you don't it could provide you with walking directions right on your phone and other  relevant information.

All without ever needimg to rely on a human. You probably save costs and had an improved experience.
    edited June 2016 caliicoco3
  • Reply 18 of 82

Here's the problem, Elon.

Apple was also "late to the market" in the phone and tablet game and looked how that turned out.

So 53% of first movers don't fail? That's above half. Phones and tablets sucked before iPhone and iPad. Tesla cars don't suck. I think there's room for many players in the car space. Be thankful for the competition. One obvious area to me where Apple can improve upon Tesla is integration with an existing ecosystem and design. Tesla is not bad at design, but they are nowhere near Apple in that dept.
    edited June 2016 lord amhrandoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 82
    bellsbells Posts: 140member

You lost me at Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports is interesting to read but many of its recommendations are flawed especially with cars and electronics. 
  • Reply 20 of 82
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    lukei said:
    The future is self driving cars. You won't own a car but just hail one via an app/other method. It will come to you. Drive you to your destination and then drive off. 
    You forgot that lots of people live in the suburbs and also that a lot of people like to drive cars. I'll have to be dead before Silicon Valley prys my car from me.
    tmaylord amhrancalipscooter63crimguyanton zuykov