17" imac investment - now or when?
August 6, 2002 1:25PM
edited January 2014
i want to buy an 17" imac within the next 2 months (or so - better earlier than later...)
should i wait for possible speed bumps, new bus speed or bigger cache soon?
ps: no, i don't want a powermac.
Reply 1 of 9
August 6, 2002 2:12PM
I dont think the iMacs will get an update until MWSF. Personally, I wouldnt buy a machine with a 100Mhz bus, agp 2x, etc which was introduced in 1999. Wait, that new 17'' iMac is agp 2x or 4x?
Reply 2 of 9
August 6, 2002 2:16PM
[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
Reply 3 of 9
August 6, 2002 2:23PM
I actually just went there to check up on it, wont a GF4MX be slightly wasted on 2X?
Reply 4 of 9
August 6, 2002 3:16PM
usefull information please.
ps: i still don't want a powermac.
dear apple: i want a combo drive for the 17" imac!!
Reply 5 of 9
August 6, 2002 4:56PM
I honestly see one of two things happening, iMac-wise:
1. A pre-holiday bump/rev (October or November) to get it closer to the GHz range (especially if these new Power Macs come out of the gate at 1.2GHz-or-higher speeds) and to spur sales.
2. The no-brainer MWSF 2003 update.
I honestly don't know. I could see it go both ways. I'd LIKE to think that Apple wouldn't let an entire YEAR go by without updating their 15" iMacs!
Which brings up another point (and a good one too): since they were unveiled six months from each other, it's highly likely that the 15" and 17" iMacs will not be on the same update/revision schedule.
If THAT'S the case, then I could very well see the 15" models being updated/revved sometime this fall (DEFINITELY be time for it...9 months or so!) and perhaps the 17" model gets tweaked in Frisco.
If the above has any validity to it, you're probably safe getting a 17" iMac now. Will probably be January before they're updated. AND, don't forget...this is Apple. IF the 17" iMac is updated/revved in Frisco, you know damn good and well it'll be February (maybe even March?) before it's actually out in any quantity.
Look how long it took to get the 15" LCD iMacs going and out in the streets!
And, does ANYONE here have their new 17" iMac that was unveiled last month?
Reply 6 of 9
August 6, 2002 5:03PM
thank you for your posting - honest and helpful.
Reply 7 of 9
August 6, 2002 6:36PM
Paul, I understand what you're saying about the 15" and 17" iMacs possibly not being updated at the same time, but do you really think Apple will have the 15" iMac closer to 1GHz (933 MHz?) while the more high end, more expensive 17" model at only 800 MHz?
Reply 8 of 9
August 6, 2002 6:40PM
Good point. Probably not. So what do they do, then?
They JUST announced the 17" (it's not even shipping yet!), so they're not going to bump it anytime soon, right? The EARLIEST they would probably rev it would be in 4-5 months (right before the holidays). They'd probably do the 15" models as well, for the reason you stated.
But that would mean the 15" iMacs went almost a YEAR with no updates.
Possible I guess (and, in light of Apple and some of the chuckleheaded things they do, probably not that far off base).
But you're right...it would be goofy to have a 900MHz-1GHz 15" iMac at $1799 and still only have the 17" model at 800MHz.
Who knows. Honestly, I don't even think THEY know sometimes!
Reply 9 of 9
August 6, 2002 7:55PM
If rumor surrounding the asian fab developments is correct, that means that 166Mhz MPX Apollos starting at 1167 are coming, but [huge optimism]not to powermacs![/huge optimism] Powermacs will get a new Hip7 .13u G4/5/somethingorother 7500?
Hmmm a 166Mhz bus, Ghz plus 17" iMac? Yes please.
[reality] Moto sucks dieuretic anus, and that hopped G4 is the best they've got so the powermac will be the only comp to see it.