Microsoft throwing developer party at Apple's WWDC, says its iOS apps set 'gold standard'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft wants to inject its own software and services into the agenda for Apple's Worldwide Developers conference next week, hoping to lure attendees to an offsite afterparty with the promise of drinks and prizes.




Microsoft estimates WWDC 2016's opening day will conclude at about 5 p.m. Pacific next Monday, June 13, at which point the Windows maker will kick off its own afterparty, taking place at Twitter headquarters a block from the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco.

To appeal to iOS developers, Microsoft has planned free food and drinks, as well as prizes such as an Apple Watch Sport or Xbox One console. All developers are welcome, even if they are not attending WWDC.

Engineers from Microsoft-owned Xamarin will offer one-on-one sessions with developers, offering guidance on using the Xamarin Test Cloud to guarantee the consistency of apps across platforms.




Microsoft recently opened up the SDK for Xamarin, an iOS and Android-compatible test tool that was once priced at $999 for business users. To Joe Silverman, owner of New York Computer Help, that was a "surprising" move from the Redmond, Wash., software giant.

"If they can create lots of code, games, and programs to be sold, everyone wins in the end, including, dare I say it, Microsoft," Silverman told AppleInsider on Tuesday.

In promoting the event, Microsoft said that apps such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneDrive are "setting the gold standard on iOS." The company said next week's event will showcase to developers how Microsoft is "reinventing itself on iOS."

To date, Microsoft has developed and published nearly 80 iOS apps, ranging from Word and One Drive to games based on its Halo and Age of Empires franchises. While the company's own Windows Phone platform has struggled, its call to iOS developers could help push not only adoption of the Xamarin development tools, but also integration with Microsoft's software and services ecosystem.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Not inaccurate, and they've held parties before. 
  • Reply 2 of 24
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    I believe they are in fact setting the "bloat" standard, which MS may have then painted a sort of gold color.
    jbdragonlolliverelijahgpscooter63hypoluxa
  • Reply 3 of 24
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 743member
    i guess the iPhone funeral march was a bit premature....
    jroyjony0jbdragonlollivercalimacky the mackyRayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 24
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    AppleInsider said:

    Microsoft recently opened up the SDK for Xamarin, an iOS and Android-compatible test tool that was once priced at $999 for business users. To Joe Silverman, owner of New York Computer Help, that was a "surprising" move from the Redmond, Wash., software giant.

    "If they can create lots of code, games, and programs to be sold, everyone wins in the end, including, dare I say it, Microsoft," Silverman told AppleInsider on Tuesday.

    Of course MS wins...   That's why the purchase and opening up of Xamarin is such a good strategic move.  If MS can attract developers to start using Xamarin tools and MS services on the back end to target Android and iOS, than guess what - you might as well support the UWP as well.   You then have access to a few hundred million more users and likely more in a year or two - through access to Windows 10 desktops, laptops, and tablets as well as Xbox, Windows 10 for IoT, HoloLends, and even windows 10 mobile.

    This is all part of MS's play to win developers. 
    crowley
  • Reply 5 of 24
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    smart
  • Reply 6 of 24
    'Gold Standard?'  Really?

    I don't think I've ever seen anything MS produces worthy of a 'Gold Standard.'
    cali
  • Reply 7 of 24
    webmongerwebmonger Posts: 23member

    Who is judging members of the gold standard anyway? whatever that means..

    Use Xamarin and watch how long it takes till it only works on microsoft platforms.

    edited June 2016
  • Reply 8 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 1,945member
    MS may have somewhat decent iOS software, but their Mac software is horrendous.  Lync is a bag of hurt.
    edited June 2016 jbdragonlolliverewtheckman
  • Reply 9 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,421member
    'Gold Standard?'  Really?

    I don't think I've ever seen anything MS produces worthy of a 'Gold Standard.'
    Just because THEY think it's "gold standard" doesn't mean others do.
    lollivercali
  • Reply 10 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Within 10 years I see Microsoft returning to what it always should have been: a successful software development firm that makes products for Apple computers running OS X (XI) and other computers running *NIX in its infinite flavors.
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 24
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,315member
    'Gold Standard?'  Really?

    I don't think I've ever seen anything MS produces worthy of a 'Gold Standard.'
    Ron Paul must be doing their marketing. I think the world has moved beyond the gold standard.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 1,934member
    gumbi said:
    AppleInsider said:

    Microsoft recently opened up the SDK for Xamarin, an iOS and Android-compatible test tool that was once priced at $999 for business users. To Joe Silverman, owner of New York Computer Help, that was a "surprising" move from the Redmond, Wash., software giant.

    "If they can create lots of code, games, and programs to be sold, everyone wins in the end, including, dare I say it, Microsoft," Silverman told AppleInsider on Tuesday.

    Of course MS wins...   That's why the purchase and opening up of Xamarin is such a good strategic move.  If MS can attract developers to start using Xamarin tools and MS services on the back end to target Android and iOS, than guess what - you might as well support the UWP as well.   You then have access to a few hundred million more users and likely more in a year or two - through access to Windows 10 desktops, laptops, and tablets as well as Xbox, Windows 10 for IoT, HoloLends, and even windows 10 mobile.

    This is all part of MS's play to win developers. 
    Microsoft has been trying this for awhile.  It's why they pushed Windows 10 or to everyone for free . Really push it into people.  They want one app that runs on Windows computers, their phones and the Xbox One.  I really don't see this working.  They keep trying, but Windows phone is almost dead.  It's the whole chicken and egg thing.  App developers aren't going to waste their time creating apps when there's so few users, and few people will buy a Windows phones because there's so little app support.

    Many of the apps I use are not on Windows phones.  Just having the major top 10 apps like Netflix, just doesn't cut it.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Any devs who attend this and/or move to Xamarin should have their dev account revoked. Apple should personally attend this event to gather a list.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    jkichline said:
    I think the world has moved beyond the gold standard.
    And look how well that worked for them. /s
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I used the MS keyboard for a few days and just deleted it. My iPhone has nothing MS.
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 24
    The Office for iPad apps actually are pretty good- except for the fact that they can't do the basic task of sending their documents to another app (i.e.- "Open in...") For schools using an LMS this is a huge pain point- students need to send their documents to their LMS (Schoology, Edmodo, etc..) to turn it in.
    zimmermann
  • Reply 17 of 24
    doggonedoggone Posts: 169member
    Dumbasses
  • Reply 18 of 24
    ruurdruurd Posts: 3member
    Microsoft is a drug peddler. Free party and booze - if you're hooked they will bleed you dry.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 208member
    'Gold Standard?'  Really?

    I don't think I've ever seen anything MS produces worthy of a 'Gold Standard.'
    I find Office 365 on Mac and iOS very good.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,173member
    Outlook is pretty good too. Bet it's not xamarin though.  
Sign In or Register to comment.