iOS 10 to offer voicemail transcription, new API for third-party VoIP apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Looking to improve the calling functions on iOS devices, Apple on Monday announced iOS 10 features like voicemail transcriptions, and a new API for third-party VoIP apps, allowing them to behave more like regular iPhone calls.

The transcription function will try to interpret what a caller says in text form, sometimes eliminating the need to play back a message. These transcriptions can also appear in iOS 10's improved notifications, saving the trouble of even unlocking a device.

The new VoIP API will firstly allow third-party apps like WhatsApp to display incoming calls on the lockscreen as if there were from Apple's own Phone app, including standard "Remind Me" and "Message" options. Third-party apps can appear on a person's iOS contact page.

Apple has meanwhile collaborated with Cisco, enabling calls to a work VoIP number to reach a personal phone.

Finally, where supported, iOS 10 will try to gauge whether an incoming phone call is spam, displaying an alert while it's still ringing.

iOS 10 is launching today as a developer beta. A public beta will arrive in July, followed by a final release in the fall, presumably shortly before new iPhones ship.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    "Finally, in China, iOS 10 will try to gauge whether an incoming phone call is spam, displaying an alert while it's still ringing."

Can we get this in the U.S. too, pleeeeeease?
    edited June 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 2 of 3
    moracmorac Posts: 22member
    mike1 said:
    "Finally, in China, iOS 10 will try to gauge whether an incoming phone call is spam, displaying an alert while it's still ringing."

The article is wrong.  This isn't limited to China.  iOS 10 will allow third party apps to hook into the phone app and show "caller id" info. 

Think of an app like Truecaller, which currently adds a contact to your contact list that contains thousands of suspected spammer numbers.  Rather that doing that, the app can interact directly with the phone app. That's assuming this all works correctly.  I would hate to have an app that breaks the phone.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mike1 said:

yeah, i get robocallers weekly. theyre typically spam for Google business listing agents or loans for my small business. its annoying. i always block them but there are always new numbers.