Apple TV universal search integrates content from A&E, History, Food Network, more

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Tuesday announced expanded support for Apple TV's universal search feature with the addition of nine new channels, including popular networks DIY, Lifetime and the Travel Channel.

Quietly announced through a Support Pages document, Apple TV universal search now integrates show data from A&E, the Cooking Channel, DIY, Food Network, FYI, HGTV, History, Lifetime and the Travel Channel. The multi-app Siri search feature is currently limited to fourth-generation Apple TVs operating in the U.S.

As with previous universal search additions, indexed content will be presented as viewing options on dedicated show pages. For example, a Siri search for the recent "Roots" remake returns a dedicated show page with viewing options from iTunes, Hulu and History. By indexing content on its servers, Apple allows users to search for shows even if the host app is not installed on their device.

Universal search was introduced alongside the latest Apple TV hardware as a tentpole Siri feature. Users are able to search for shows and other media from anywhere in the tvOS interface through text, dictation or Siri voice request.

The search function was initially limited to iTunes, Netflix, HBO, Hulu and Showtime, but Apple later widened support by opening API access to third party developers. PBS was one of the first providers to jump on board, though uptake has been relatively slow.

Earlier this month content from Bravo, E!, SyFy and USA was added to the list of supported channels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Ok Apple, now bring this all together in a searchable shows guide, somewhat like Tivo's OnePass and you will have a "killer app" on your hands!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Loving the fact that the Siri search results now include Apps you don't have installed (in the tvOS beta).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Is there a "Junk Food Network"? I'm sensing a missed opportunity here...
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    Really hope expanded support for this is rolled out in international markets soon. Here in Australia it's only supported for Netflix and iTunes. All of the terrestrial/free to air networks now have an AppleTV app with catch up episodes available for most of their programming.
    kevin kee
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    lolliver said:
    Really hope expanded support for this is rolled out in international markets soon. Here in Australia it's only supported for Netflix and iTunes. All of the terrestrial/free to air networks now have an AppleTV app with catch up episodes available for most of their programming.
    I am in Australia and I have ten and nine networks on my AppleTV for catchup programs, such as Masterchef. The network tends to create an app for a program, I hope this won't become a habit or it will be a clutter-mess. But still, I love my AppleTV. It just need more quality channels.
    lolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 11
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    Everything but being able to Siri search your entire movie library and not just those that have been purchased from Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    TurboPGT said:
    Loving the fact that the Siri search results now include Apps you don't have installed (in the tvOS beta).
    That's not new, it always has done that.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    kevin kee said:
    lolliver said:
    I am in Australia and I have ten and nine networks on my AppleTV for catchup programs, such as Masterchef. The network tends to create an app for a program, I hope this won't become a habit or it will be a clutter-mess. But still, I love my AppleTV. It just need more quality channels.

I have Ten, nine, Seven, ABC and SBS apps installed on my Apple TV. The ABC and SBS apps seem to work flawlessly but the three commercial channels have had a few minor issues. Fortunately they haven't been creating separate apps for individual programs on the AppleTV app store but I do wonder if they deliberately hamstring their catch up TV offerings to encourage viewers to stick with the traditional live via the air option. Their AppleTV apps are a far better experience than their websites are at least. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rfrmac said:
    Everything but being able to Siri search your entire movie library and not just those that have been purchased from Apple.
    Great new api's for searching - How about the ability to search your local iTunes library. Im not even fussed about using Siri to do it. With over 1400 movies on my mac server searching for movies via AppleTV is a pain in the butt. And dont even get me started on the trying to use the remote on a large library.
    stompy
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    pemberto said:
    rfrmac said:
    Great new api's for searching - How about the ability to search your local iTunes library. Im not even fussed about using Siri to do it. With over 1400 movies on my mac server searching for movies via AppleTV is a pain in the butt. And dont even get me started on the trying to use the remote on a large library.
    Consider investing in a BT keyboard.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    pemberto said:
    rfrmac said:
    It'd be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I think the fact that I can currently do a Siri search and play a movie purchased from iTunes is all that Apple thinks is necessary. I wouldn't say Apple have ever done extra work to help customers play back movies converted from physical media.

mike1 said:
    Consider investing in a BT keyboard.
    Apple's new remote app for AppleTV isn't out yet, maybe that will help with some search and text input issues. Also, if Plex.tv ends up with Siri search (there's nothing about Siri on Plex.tv since WWDC, but here's hoping), I'd probably move all my content to Plex before I'd resort to a BT keyboard.