WiFi lock

Posted:
in Genius Bar
There's no lock next to my WiFi network, so I'm assuming it's wide open.  i've been searching online for a way to lock it, but either the answers don't go far enough or they don't pertain to El Capitan or I can't find the items they say to click.  Can anyone help me install a password and lock the WiFi? 
I'm technically challenged so please make it simple.

Thanks. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    sequitur said:
    There's no lock next to my WiFi network, so I'm assuming it's wide open.  i've been searching online for a way to lock it, but either the answers don't go far enough or they don't pertain to El Capitan or I can't find the items they say to click.  Can anyone help me install a password and lock the WiFi? 
    I'm technically challenged so please make it simple.

Thanks. 
    The lock is encryption that is set on the router. If you open system prefs > network > wi-fi, click Advanced then TCP/IP tab. That will show the router address, which will be something like 192.168.0.1.

Copy/paste that router address into a web browser and hit return. That should bring up the router's configuration page. You need a login and password. If you haven't set a login up yourself, it will either be the default login for the router model or it may have been setup by the internet service you have. Sometimes the login will be written on the router itself.

If you can't find a login, the router typically comes with a small pin-hole that will do a factory reset and that will reset it to use the router's default login. These default logins are listed online or in the manual for the router model you have so search for the router model and look for the default login.

Once you can login, there will be a wi-fi settings tab that will allow you to enable wireless encryption/security. If you have older computers, sometimes they won't support the stronger encryption settings but you can try enabling encryption and see how it works out. Set a password key for it and remember what the key is. It doesn't have to be a complicated password, it can just be a name followed by a number. You'll have to type it in on each device you connect to wi-fi. 6 letters plus 2-4 numbers should do. Then save the settings and the router will apply them and you'll have to connect to the router again using the password.

If you set some settings that prevent you from connecting to the router, the factory reset pin-hole is a backup you can use.