Apple's Mac sheds marketshare in Q2, sinks to 5th place amid worldwide sales slowdown

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2016
Apple's share of the global PC market took a substantial hit during a challenging second quarter, dropping the company down to fifth place among the world's top computer manufacturers, according to preliminary numbers from market research firms Gartner and IDC.

Source: Gartner

Gartner reports Apple's worldwide marketshare remained steady at 7.1 percent during the second quarter of 2016, though year-over-year shipments dropped to 4.6 million units, down from 4.8 million in 2015. The 4.9 percent sales contraction was the worst performance put in by a top-five vendor, but in line with a 5.2 percent decline in overall PC shipments, the firm said.

Asus replaced Apple in the No. 4 spot on a 1.3 percent uptick in worldwide shipments over the same three-month period. The Taiwanese producer shipped 4.7 million units for the quarter.

"One of the ongoing problems in the PC market has been the price hike in selected regions due to the weakening local currency against the U.S. dollar," said Gartner analyst Mikako Kitagawa. "The price issue has impacted the EMEA, and Latin America regions for the past year. However, PC shipment declines became rather modest in the second quarter compared to previous quarters, which suggests a fading currency impact."

Despite being down 2.2 percent year-over-year, Lenovo managed to ship 13.2 million units in quarter two, good enough to retain its lead with a 20.5 percent share of the global market. HP came in second with 12.3 million units shipped, while third place Dell saw the quarter's biggest gains with a 3.1 percent year-over-year bump on shipments of 9.8 million units.

Acer rounded out the top six with a 6.9 percent share of the market on 4.4 million units shipped.

Apple's U.S. results were even more dismal, with Gartner tracking a 9.3 percent year-over-year decline on 1.9 million units shipped, again the worst performance of any top-five vendor. Mac dropped to fourth place behind Lenovo, which saw U.S. shipments grow 9.2 percent to 2.2 million units. Dell shipped an estimated 4.1 million computers to surpass HP as the domestic market leader, while Asus brought up the rear with 751,000 shipments.

Source: IDC

Apple fared much worse in IDC's numbers, which placed Mac's worldwide marketshare at 7.1 percent last quarter on 4.4 million shipments, down 8.3 percent from 2015. Like Gartner, IDC saw Asus usurp Apple for fourth place with an estimated 4.5 million computers shipped, up 5.4 percent from the year ago quarter.

Lenovo's marketshare slipped 2.3 points to 21.2 percent, but the Chinese company led the pack with 13.2 million units shipped. HP jumped 5.1 percent on 12.9 million shipped units and Dell came in third with an estimated 10 million shipments and 16 percent marketshare.

For the U.S., Apple retained its fourth place spot ahead of Acer on IDC's tracker with 1.9 million shipments, down 7.6 percent year-over-year. HP shipped an estimated 4.5 million units to lead Dell's 4.4 million, while Lenovo came in third with 2.4 million units shipped. All top-five manufacturers except for Apple recorded double-digit gains from the year ago quarter.

Apple's sales lull could lift this fall, when the company is expected to refresh its popular MacBook line of products. Particularly, a hotly anticipated MacBook Pro revamp with OLED touchbar and slim form factor is predicted to launch in the fourth quarter. Other rumors suggest Apple plans to expand its MacBook thin-and-light series with a 13-inch model some time in the third quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring new Macs with Intel Sky Lake and standard ports for all Apple devices: Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) and SDXC with extra pins supporting maximum 300 MB/s read/write speed.
    pbrstreetgration alentropys6Sgoldfishtokyojimu
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Dude, you're getting a Dell?
    xzucaliration alentropyslatifbp
  • Reply 3 of 71
    apophisapophis Posts: 36member
    Apple isn't helping things by taking so long to release updates to its Mac hardware lines. Mac Pro (a joke by now). MacBook Pro and no recent updates to the Air. At least show you care or change colors of the Airs and sales will increase. The Mac Pro needs to be redesigned again as it's limited upgradability makes it age even quicker than before. Go back to a box with removable drives and graphics cards - it's what pros need and want.
    lord amhranxzuration alkermit4krazyentropys6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 4 of 71
    The army is upgrading their computers and HP and Dell meet DISA requirements. 
  • Reply 5 of 71
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple keeps shredding ports from the Macs.  Forget about the market share.  Many people wants this port and that port. Macs does not have DVD drive anymore.  That will cut off at least 5%of buyers.  
    larrya
  • Reply 6 of 71
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Very sorry to see this, but not surprised. The last time I recall Apple doing anything really impressive with the Mac was when they introduced the 5k iMac, but that's been a while now. The laptop lineup is stagnant; the Mac Mini and Mac Pro are pathetic. I just don't get it. 
    king editor the grateentropys6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 7 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple sunk from 7.1% worldwide share to 7.1%. Such a huge drop. Next year they may even sink further to 7.1%. D00med!
    manfred zornpscooter63ration allolliverjvmbstevehequality72521baconstangmonstrositychia
  • Reply 8 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple is never going to be #1 in marketshare, so who cares. Making a nice profit is what matters, not making cheap junk and selling it to cheap people.

What's better? 100 pounds of feces or 1 pound of pure gold? Which would you rather have?

pscooter63weathersration allollivermonstrositychialatifbpjony0
  • Reply 9 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    appex said:
    Bring new Macs with Intel Sky Lake and standard ports for all Apple devices: Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) and SDXC with extra pins supporting maximum 300 MB/s read/write speed.

Baloney. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the slowdown in PC sales worldwide
    jony0
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Gartner had the Mac gaining market share relative to the PC market (Apple down 4.9%, PC market down 5.2%). IDC shows Apple actually losing market share for like the 2nd time in the last 10 years or so. I expect something big coming to the MacPro line at a minimum, perhaps the entire Mac line with the next iOS/macOS release in September.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Step up your game, Timmy.  We need faster processors, and a MacBook Pro that has 32GB installed memory.  There are many of us who can't do all their work on a tablet, like you apparently can.
    kermit4krazy19836Sgoldfish
  • Reply 12 of 71
    lkrupp said:
    appex said:

Baloney. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the slowdown in PC sales worldwide
    I agree with appex's remarks, it would cause me to upgrade my 2013 MBP 15.   But certainly you make a good point by blurting "Baloney".  Or at least I'm sure someone out there agrees with your eloquently stated argument.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 13 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

blastdoor said:
    Very sorry to see this, but not surprised. The last time I recall Apple doing anything really impressive with the Mac was when they introduced the 5k iMac, but that's been a while now. The laptop lineup is stagnant; the Mac Mini and Mac Pro are pathetic. I just don't get it. 
    Nonsense and nothing to with the worldwide slowdown in PC sales. It’s just your ilk looking for an excuse to bloviate and repeat your spoon fed meme about innovation. There is no spec war or innovation dearth, only people leaving PCs behind for smartphones and tablets, something the “real work can only be done on a PC” crowd couldn’t understand if their lives depended on it. Accept the truth of why PC/Mac sales are down worldwide instead of trying to explain it with your PC bias.
    edited July 2016 lolliverRayz2016baconstangai46
  • Reply 14 of 71

Apple's Mac sheds marketshare in Q2, sinks to 5th place
    Apple was in the same 5th place last quarter... according to Gartner.  And they had the same 7.1% market share then too:

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3280626

So I'm not seeing the "sinking" to 5th place or the "shedding" of market share.
    edited July 2016 lostkiwiration allolliverstevehRayz2016baconstang
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Just more hand wringing yap, yap, yap all around.

Apple will release its new machines when it's ready and not a moment sooner. It's always been this way, always will be—to their credit!
    fastasleeplolliverequality72521baconstang
  • Reply 16 of 71
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Excuse me but IDC is known for espousing total BS when it comes to Apple so anything they say is irrelevant as it is simply estimated guessing on their part.
    lostkiwiration allolliverretrogustobaconstangmonstrosityai46
  • Reply 17 of 71
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    I'm not surprised sales aren't growing anymore. Macs are no longer good value for money. This is partly due to the dollar being strong, (though it's cheaper for Apple to manufacture products so that offsets it quite a bit), and partly because Apple's become even more greedy, with no cheap Macs available. The Mini used to be great value, now you get a slow, expensive small computer for twice the price of a PC. The Mini was a great lure to the Apple ecosystem.

Another reason is because the Macs they do have are updated so rarely without a mid-cycle price drop. Who in their right mind would buy a MBP that's not been updated through two generations of Intel chips, is over a year old and costs just the same as release day? Granted processing speed isn't following Moore's law anymore but it's not halted completely. You can get a same spec PC with a 3 year warranty for half the price of a Mac with a 1 year warranty.  

Part of of the cost was always justified by Windows' perpetual failings, but - unfortunately for us & Apple - it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. 

Oh and don't get me started on the also stagnant Mac Pro.

[Edit]: Christ this forum's editor is f*cking awful. Jumps around everywhere and can't quote properly, ugh.
    edited July 2016 kermit4krazymobiusentropys1983xzu6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 18 of 71
    I'm not buying anything Apple for some time. This company has left me feeling salty. P.S. Long time Mac User. Since the 80's
    kermit4krazyentropys1983cnocbuixzu6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Just plug into our projector, doh did not bring the adapter.
    Wifi is down just plug into our ethernet, doh did not bring the adapter.
    Buy a magazine, the sample images for the tutorial are on the DVD, doh!
    Go to get files of fire wire drive, doh did not bring the adapter.
    upgrade ram ... doh its soldered in.

go on a trip i have a bag full of damn adapter cables and bulky dvd drive.

my old old mac book pro had NONE of these problems, a nicer keyboard and I could swap out a flat battery to keep working away from a power point.

aside from performance my new mac book pro is an inferior more expensive machine.

the only thing keeping me now is the OS.

larryakermit4krazyentropysbaconstangcnocbuielijahgxzu6Sgoldfishtokyojimu
  • Reply 20 of 71
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    While I'm no fan of outfits like IDC I find this headline quite disingenuous. The headline makes it sound like a general slowdown in the industry yet the chart only shows Apple, Lenovo and whatever the heck other is with declines. Apple's decline is no doubt due to people waiting for new MPBs and an updated Mac Pro (which hasn't seen a significant update since 2013). 
    ration almonstrosity