Apple TV adds Comedy Central, MTV and VH1 shows to universal search

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2016
As part of a continued buildout of Apple TV services, Apple this week integrated programming data for Comedy Central, MTV and VH1 into tvOS universal search, allowing users to easily surface content hosted by those apps.

Apple announced the new compatibility through its Apple TV support website, noting immediate availability for fourth-generation Apple TV owners in the U.S.

Universal search was first introduced alongside Apple's latest set-top streamer last year. The system ties in to Apple TV's Siri voice recognition module to deliver indexed results based on both spoken and text search inputs from anywhere in the tvOS user interface. As an example, a search for Comedy Central show "Tosh.0" will return a results page with viewing options for all apps and services through which that content is available.

Initially, universal search was limited to iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, Showtime and HBO, but Apple slowly built out support as the product matured. Third party developers were offered access to special universal search APIs shortly after the fourth-generation Apple TV launched. PBS was the first to take advantage of the feature in January, offering data for the tvOS versions of PBS and PBS Kids.

Prior to today's additions, Apple most recently integrated content from A&E, the Cooking Channel, DIY, Food Network, FYI, HGTV, History, Lifetime and the Travel Channel in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
     Third party developers were offered access to special universal search APIs shortly after the fourth-generation Apple TV launched. PBS was the first to take advantage of the feature in January, offering data for the tvOS versions of PBS and PBS Kids.

Prior to today's additions, Apple most recently integrated content from A&E, the Cooking Channel, DIY, Food Network, FYI, HGTV, History, Lifetime and the Travel Channel in June.
    So within this article it states both that Apple has been adding in support and that it's up to third party providers to add in support through the Universal Search API's. I'm assuming that the initial support was done with the cooperation of Apple prior to the API's being made available and that after that the more recent apps have gained the feature due to the developers of those apps implementing the API's. Or does it require both the developer to add in the API's and then Apple to integrate the content of those apps into their own universal search database? 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Hooray. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    Still waiting to be able to Siri search all of my movies in iTunes.  For me, that's far more important.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I don't use this function at all. AppleTV needs more content. Where's the promised FoxSportsGo app?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Another nail in the STB's coffin!

Tell you cable provider that you don't want their STB.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ZooMigoZooMigo Posts: 35member
    Yay, more stuff I can't use. I've cut the cord, and you need a cable/satellite subscription to access any of this. How about something we really want, like a la carte channels. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    ZooMigo said:
    Yay, more stuff I can't use. I've cut the cord, and you need a cable/satellite subscription to access any of this. How about something we really want, like a la carte channels. 
    I'd like alacarte events. I'd pay $.99 for the occasional NFL football game. Or NHL hockey game. I suspect others would pay the same for MLB or NBA, or soccer.

A TV App developer that comes up with a ad content control system will rule the world. Download an app, and then you're given the option to sign up for an account that allows the user/viewer to select ad content. If it is the provider's choice of ad, it is free. If you can pay a small fee to block it with a blank screen or local content. Or...if you select some preferences, the advertisers pay you a nominal amount to your account to redeem...somehow. Some technical stuff would need to be added, like a response from a human now and then to be sure it isn't being used to mine for fees. Ready go