No more Game Center app? Terrible idea.

Posted:
in General Discussion
The removal of a centralized app makes game achievements effectively meaningless, and destroys the concept of a universal gamerscore. This, to me, shows that Apple doesn't understand gamers and gaming culture. 

The reason social gaming networks like PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live are so popular, is because game
achievements are publicly visible, and in a totalized format. Getting these achievements, and adding to your overall score or level, is a massive motivator for gaming, and makes the games even more fun. In-app achievements mean nothing, since nobody else can see/compare them.

This is a massive step backwards for gaming on th  iOS platform. I encourage anyone who cares, to contact Apple and provide feedback about this change. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    makes game achievements effectively meaningless
    Does… anyone else want to be the one to tell him?  :p
    gamers and gaming culture. 
    Now you’ve made me upset.

Gamer. It is a description of someone who plays a video game. It is not an identity. It is not a culture. Leftists have destroyed the world with “about me” identities. A delusion in which you think a word like ‘gamer’ has meaning. Where everything is just some description of something that no one is, just something found on the Internet. They give these words so much power because to them it is everything. It is your privilege. Your life and actions mean nothing. All that matters is those few words. “I am a pansexualfluid mongoose lesbian with my transpandaotherkin headmate Emperor Augustus, who is a Mexican trans* MtF.”

All this bullshit… A gamer is someone who plays video games. That is it. It isn’t silly political nonsense. It is me, coming home and relaxing with a strategy game or challenging myself with something else. It isn’t politics.

Everyone’s media serves a purpose. Sometimes it is comedic, sometimes action, sometimes erotic. Women sexualize men. It happens. Watch any romcom. We all seek the same things. Our media serves a purpose. Often when someone shouts that something is objectifying women, they are moaning about bad writing.

A gamer is not an identity. They made “nerd/geek” into an identity you could just name yourself and get magical identity points. A “girl gamer”. The Big Bang Theory did this. 2007 was the year that everything changed. A subculture became popular. Companies capitalized on it. It flooded with people. The new people were not fans of the old, but claimed they were “fans” who wanted it to change. How can you be a fan of something you hate? Companies only know one thing: economics. They only bow to pressures when it hurts their image not to. Journalists jumped on talking about controversy, as it sold well.

• Reply 2 of 5
    I don't know what drugs you're on, or which medication you've been neglecting, but you can shove you're nonsensical, self-righteous, condescending diatribe up your ass. 

Personality disorders are treatable, albeit not curable. Get help.
    singularity
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Ryzaerian said:
    Personality disorders are treatable, albeit not curable.
    Of course they’re curable. Just abandon leftist teachings and predicate your thoughts on objectivity. Identity politics is bullshit, moral relativism is bullshit, and equality is a false god.

EDIT: Yeah, the site does that every once in a while. If your post doesn’t commit after the first time you hit Save Comment, just wait a minute or so and reload the page (make sure to put your posts’s text into your clipboard first so you don’t lose it) because it probably did post. Hitting it again will only multi-post.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 4 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ryzaerian said:
    The removal of a centralized app makes game achievements effectively meaningless, and destroys the concept of a universal gamerscore. This, to me, shows that Apple doesn't understand gamers and gaming culture. 

The reason social gaming networks like PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live are so popular, is because game
    achievements are publicly visible, and in a totalized format. Getting these achievements, and adding to your overall score or level, is a massive motivator for gaming, and makes the games even more fun. In-app achievements mean nothing, since nobody else can see/compare them.

This is a massive step backwards for gaming on th  iOS platform. I encourage anyone who cares, to contact Apple and provide feedback about this change. 
    Game Centre was never a very good version of the centralized achievements though, and the more casual nature of most iOS games made that kind of achievement structure a little redundant. While having a single view of all achievements was kind of nice, games that are serious about them can build their own interfaces.

Also, :D at TS. Give it a rest dude, you'll give yourself an aneurysm if you let The Big Bang Theory get you so worked up.
    singularity
  • Reply 5 of 5
    makes game achievements effectively meaningless
    Does… anyone else want to be the one to tell him?  :p
    Now you’ve made me upset.

Gamer. It is a description of someone who plays a video game. It is not an identity. It is not a culture. Leftists have destroyed the world with “about me” identities. A delusion in which you think a word like ‘gamer’ has meaning. Where everything is just some description of something that no one is, just something found on the Internet. They give these words so much power because to them it is everything. It is your privilege. Your life and actions mean nothing. All that matters is those few words. “I am a pansexualfluid mongoose lesbian with my transpandaotherkin headmate Emperor Augustus, who is a Mexican trans* MtF.”

All this bullshit… A gamer is someone who plays video games. That is it. It isn’t silly political nonsense. It is me, coming home and relaxing with a strategy game or challenging myself with something else. It isn’t politics.

Everyone’s media serves a purpose. Sometimes it is comedic, sometimes action, sometimes erotic. Women sexualize men. It happens. Watch any romcom. We all seek the same things. Our media serves a purpose. Often when someone shouts that something is objectifying women, they are moaning about bad writing.

A gamer is not an identity. They made “nerd/geek” into an identity you could just name yourself and get magical identity points. A “girl gamer”. The Big Bang Theory did this. 2007 was the year that everything changed. A subculture became popular. Companies capitalized on it. It flooded with people. The new people were not fans of the old, but claimed they were “fans” who wanted it to change. How can you be a fan of something you hate? Companies only know one thing: economics. They only bow to pressures when it hurts their image not to. Journalists jumped on talking about controversy, as it sold well.

To be fair here, no matter how or what you think about the word 'gamer' it really doesn't matter. You are right in the sense that the word doesn't inherently describe an identity or culture, nor was it intended when the word was thought up. But that's the thing with languages, with time, and with a different use, words are enscribed with meanings, sometimes far from what originally intended for the words.

You may argue that there is no culture or identity attached to the word. But if the public uses it in such a way to describe either themselves or their culture and norms they are abiding by, the semantic meaning of that word will change.
    singularity