CBS All Access, Showtime streaming services each hold 1 million users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Streaming services CBS All Access and Showtime Anytime collectively have more than two million paid subscribers, CBS's chief executive boasted during his company's quarterly results conference call.

"CBS All Access and Showtime OTT have surpassed two million subscribers, about evenly split," CEO Les Moonves said during the results call on Thursday. "That's well ahead of where we'd thought we'd be this early in the game."

Moonves also credited the subscription revenue for exceeding estimates for the company's quarterly earnings.

CBS launched All Access for iOS in October of 2014 for $6 per month, and provides subscribers on-demand access to a large portion of the CBS programming library, as well as live programming streams of local CBS stations in 124 markets.

The CBS-owned Showtime's over the top service debuted in July 2015, and costs $11 per month. Showtime is known for movies, as well as unique programming "Homeland," crime dramas "Dexter" and "Weeds," and other shows like "Californication" and "United States of Tara."

A CBS All Access Apple TV app is now available for the fourth generation Apple TV, as well as on the third generation model after an October 2015 update to the device. Recent episodes of currently running programs are generally made available the day after the original broadcast.

CBS All Access will be the venue for weekly "Star Trek: Discovery" episodes in 2017, after the premiere airs on conventional broadcast channels.

Moonves was the primary source of initial reports of an Apple-driven "over the top" television streaming service. In October 2014, Moonves claimed that Apple was in the process of negotiating with all of the networks about streaming services.

In February 2016, Moonves noted that conversations had stopped between Apple and the broadcast networks. A report on Thursday claimed that the discussions were scuttled by Apple's aggressive negotiating tactics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I am so freakin' unimaginably psyched for this new Star Trek TV series!! *almost* psyched enough to consider a CBS All Access subscription. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'd legally get my hands on this show.

I now have a deep and personal understanding of the value of exclusive content to a network/service. When you love something so much that you would do anything to get your hands on it, that is an incredibly powerful lure to sign up for a service.
    afrodrilatifbp