Possible Apple 'iPhone 7' video shows functional camera

Posted:
in iPhone
A new video attributed to the same Chinese repair shop as photos published earlier on Thursday depicts a device alleged to be an "iPhone 7" actually functioning, and running Apple's camera test application.

AppleInsider has confirmed that the software shown running in the video is the Apple camera test application from an unknown version of the Switchboard test suite previously shown as installed on the device.

In a brief segment at the end of the two tests appear to have failed, or not completed. The video is not of sufficient resolution to make out the text on the tests marked with a clear red "x."

The video does not utterly confirm that the device in custody is the new iPhone 7. While the camera test suite depicted appears to be from Apple's Switchboard, it matches that as seen in the prerelease version of the iPhone 6.

AppleInsider is not familiar with Switchboard versions beyond the one that was used for the iPhone 6, and the interface in the video is identical to our previous limited experience with the test software. Given no apparent change in the interface, the possibility remains that the video depicts an iPhone 6 that has been transplanted into a mockup case running the iOS 8-based version of Switchboard. New iPhone case fabrications currently proliferate in the Chinese marketplace, but all seem to be from the same source of data.

As with the pictures from early Thursday, there are no physical differences on display in the video that have not already been disclosed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I hope this isn't it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    cali said:
    I hope this isn't it.
    Yes, I also hope it looks like what you want it to look like.
    topper24hoursnolamacguySpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 16
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    There are too many images now of "headphone-jack-free" iPhones that it seems to be pretty much a given at this point.  I though the first unofficial pictures of the iPhone 6 were a hoax, I didn't think Apple's design team would have allowed non-color matched antenna bands (or even antenna bands at all).  But I was wrong and those first images indeed matched up with the final product.  We've seen enough pictures of the "2 speaker" underside of this next iPhone's shell that it's no longer deniable.  There will not be a headphone jack on this iPhone.  Even though I still think it is going to be very controversial once the final product is released and the mainstream media starts harping on the lack of a headphone jack.  Though a very compelling argument by Apple could offset some of the controversy.  There will still be complaints, as one cannot please everyone.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 4 of 16
    lmagoolmagoo Posts: 49member
    The iPhones that show multiple holes on each side of the Lightning connector are obviously fake....there will only be one hole opposite the speaker for a Mic....not another speaker....
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I hope this didn't turn out to be true. This camera is really ugly.  
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lmagoo said:
    The iPhones that show multiple holes on each side of the Lightning connector are obviously fake....there will only be one hole opposite the speaker for a Mic....not another speaker....
    there's nothing "obvious" about that being a fake. the iPhone 4 had identical mesh grills on either side despite only one being a speaker and one a mic. 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    lmagoo said:
    I would bet otherwise. Two speakers.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 16
    jahajajahaja Posts: 23member
    I find it ridiculous how people comment so negatively on the removal of the 3,5 mm.

I think Apple has put all its efforts this year on sound and music by the dual speakers but more significantly by the new connection for headphones. It is all, I believe, with the intention to increase sound quality. Maybe some kind of internals upgrade as well to achieve all this? I bet sound can be greatly improved from current standards, and once people experience the difference, nobody will want anything else.

The second thing they've done is to give the phone better water resistance. This, too, is gonna be a great sales argument for a lot of people.

Failure you say, success I bet.
    williamlondonDarth Sidux1983
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jahaja said:
    I find it ridiculous how people comment so negatively on the removal of the 3,5 mm.

I think Apple has put all its efforts this year on sound and music by the dual speakers but more significantly by the new connection for headphones. It is all, I believe, with the intention to increase sound quality. Maybe some kind of internals upgrade as well to achieve all this? I bet sound can be greatly improved from current standards, and once people experience the difference, nobody will want anything else.

The second thing they've done is to give the phone better water resistance. This, too, is gonna be a great sales argument for a lot of people.

I'm with you, a lot of brouhaha over nothing, but some people aren't happy if there's nothing to complain about, especially tech-types who ironically are some of the most resistant to technical progress or technical change of any sort, all whipped into a fury by a tech press that has nothing better to do than be negative.
    jahaja
  • Reply 10 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    jahaja said:

I bet sound quality can't be improved from the current situation.  Show me the iPhone reviews that state the audio quality from an iPhone was anything less than stellar.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    lmagoo said:
    Someone has not be paying attention...

Rumors for months on end, and tons of "factory" prototype leaks have hammered on that there would be NO headphone jack. Instead the iPhone will use the  Lightning connector for audio and add two speakers (and the mic could be in there alongside their holes).

I mean it's not like this is new, this has gone beyond AI, even in mainstream outlets like The Verge:
    http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/6/21/11991302/iphone-no-headphone-jack-user-hostile-stupid
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 16
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    sog35 said:
    I can't believe how clueless Tim Cook is.

So we basically get the SAME PHONE shell for three years in a row!  Are you serious. This is pathetic.
    Why, what exactly do you want in your shell?

Or are you that shallow that you don't care about updated cpus, cameras, etc and only want some shiny new design that will just look different?

edited August 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    sog35 said:

So we basically get the SAME PHONE shell for three years in a row!  Are you serious. This is pathetic.

Spending Billions on R&D and they can't even come up with a updated shell?
    Why? Even Samdung, HTC, Sony, ect can come up with updated shells at least every 2 years, and some every year.

I'm so pissed off right now. 
    What are you - 12? Why do you want a new shell just for the sake of being different? That will last of all of 5 minutes. What is important is the functionality of the new phone. If it does not deliver though I can use my 6+ for at least another couple of years before I need to upgrade - it has been, and continues to be, a fantastic phone. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 16
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:

Spending Billions on R&D and they can't even come up with a updated shell?
    Why? Even Samdung, HTC, Sony, ect can come up with updated shells at least every 2 years, and some every year.

I'm so pissed off right now. 

so where are your designs, The billions they are spending are not on phones it most likely on things we have yet to see. In reality there is no reason to change a design if it work. It is like redesigning a tire year after year, when it functionally work and does what it is suppose to do. I personally rather Apple spend money where it counts, not on the shell of the thing that holds what is important. BTW if you go back and look at the Apple lawsuit with Samsung all the designs we have see the last 9 years were all the various prototypes that Apple originally considered prior to the originally iphones  These design are 10+ plus years old at this point. Even though you may think it is new they are actually old to Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jahajajahaja Posts: 23member
    cnocbui said:
    jahaja said:

I bet sound quality can't be improved from the current situation.  Show me the iPhone reviews that state the audio quality from an iPhone was anything less than stellar.
    Well thats usually what folks say before new technology is introduced. Innovation comes from creativity, which starts with imagination.