Watch: Apple Lightning EarPods for 'iPhone 7' supposedly appear in new video

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
A new video shows a what is said to be a functional set of authentic Apple Lightning EarPods -- an accessory that could be packed in with any future iPhone lacking an analog headphone jack.




The video creator does demonstrate functionality by controlling the iPhone 6 audio playback with the remote attached to the cable, as well as playing back audio through the buds adjacent to the camera microphone. However, the video never shows the entire cable in frame at once.



Reports started circulating in November 2015 that Apple would eschew the analog port, in favor of the digital Lightning interface on the next major iPhone update. A follow-on supply chain source produced a mock-up reportedly sourced from pre-production sample data in April 2016 that also had no headphone jack.

Multiple sources have claimed that they are in possession of the official Apple Lightning earbuds since November, none verifiable at this point. Additionally, at the end of July, a questionable report surfaced demonstrating the existence of what was called a legitimately Apple-built Lightning-to-headphone adapter.

While the provenance of all the "iPhone 7" rumors to this point are unclear, they all have commonalities. None of the sources show significant departures from the iPhone 6 family design language, and none of them have a headphone jack.

The next major iteration of the iPhone is expected to be announced in early September.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 72
    MacBAirMacBAir Posts: 48member
    Hi!

    So, what's the consensus, here? I think that the transition to wireless is the way to go, but if they sell lightning headphones they must include a lightning port on Macs as well.
    A part of me tells me that they will sell lightning headphones and we will have a 99$ option for wireless. That would be shameful, me thinks.

    These days it seems that it is all for current profit margins, even if impacts the platform on the long run.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    I think the picture of what we'll get is coming into focus this week. Lighting EarPods bundled, BT EarPods sold separately. Happy with that. I've been using wired headphones in the car while driving for lyft, and have come to hate them with a passion. Tangled wires, distance restrictions, etc. I'll be buying BT headphones regardless of what Apple does but I'm waiting to see what they offer.
    TurboPGTDeelronnolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 72
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Apple Lightning EarPods (included)
    Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm Adapter ($19)
    Apple Bluetooth AirPods ($79)
    hodarsricelkruppbadmonkthepixeldoc
  • Reply 4 of 72
    MacBAir said:
    Hi!

    So, what's the consensus, here? I think that the transition to wireless is the way to go, but if they sell lightning headphones they must include a lightning port on Macs as well.
    A part of me tells me that they will sell lightning headphones and we will have a 99$ option for wireless. That would be shameful, me thinks.

    These days it seems that it is all for current profit margins, even if impacts the platform on the long run.
    Or, the wired lighting headphones that will probably be bundles are what 90% of people will want anyway. They're not a charity. Selling BT earbuds that cost theee times what the wired headphones cast and cutting into their margins would be stupid.
    TurboPGTSolinolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 72
    Article says 'watch' and 'video'. Where the heck is the video?
    srice
  • Reply 6 of 72
    MacBAirMacBAir Posts: 48member
    MacBAir said:
    Hi!

    So, what's the consensus, here? I think that the transition to wireless is the way to go, but if they sell lightning headphones they must include a lightning port on Macs as well.
    A part of me tells me that they will sell lightning headphones and we will have a 99$ option for wireless. That would be shameful, me thinks.

    These days it seems that it is all for current profit margins, even if impacts the platform on the long run.
    Or, the wired lighting headphones that will probably be bundles are what 90% of people will want anyway. They're not a charity. Selling BT earbuds that cost theee times what the wired headphones cast and cutting into their margins would be stupid.
    I don't agree with you. Their move has to bring advantages to end users, otherwise what's the point?
    Just like I read on Daring Fireball, this seems like Apple declaring war on wired headphones.

    As such, bundling BT devices (that instead of costing 3 or 4 dollars to make might cost 5 or 6) should be a priority. They could also have another [paid] option for higher fidelity products.

    Let's wait and see. People won't accept adapters, not being able to charge and listen to some music and so on. And why should they, if it brings no tangible advantage?
    tmayrogifan_newbaconstangHabi_tweet
  • Reply 7 of 72
    MintzMintz Posts: 18member
    TrueNorth said:
    Article says 'watch' and 'video'. Where the heck is the video?
    Video is on MacRumors site... or here:
  • Reply 8 of 72
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

    View from a far, a bit over the top I know but... enjoy! ---

    90% only use Apple earbuds anyways, don't need a 3.5 mm jack --- piss on the other 10%(and all there existing hardware and plus the can buy the special adapter for $$)

    90% of the time users don't charge their battery while listening to music --- piss on the other 10% that need to

    90% only need x amount of much battery life anyways --- piss on the other 10% that do

    90% will figure out non-schemorphic(sp) interface--- piss on the other 10% that cant figure everything out

    90% don't use Pro software anyways --- piss on the 10% that do (and by the way are usually the biggest free 1%'ers cheerleaders for Apple)

    90% only need (fill in the blank) ... piss on the other 10%

    My recollection of the old Apple was that they were fairly uncompromising in regards to the user experience, pissing off 10% was not acceptable too often.

    We now seem to have a steam roll of '90/10 compromises' for the user where in some manner every one gets --- 'pissed on'!.

     

    baconstangbadmonk
  • Reply 9 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,449member
    MacBAir said:
    Hi!

    So, what's the consensus, here? I think that the transition to wireless is the way to go, but if they sell lightning headphones they must include a lightning port on Macs as well.
    A part of me tells me that they will sell lightning headphones and we will have a 99$ option for wireless. That would be shameful, me thinks.

    These days it seems that it is all for current profit margins, even if impacts the platform on the long run.
    Blathering nonsense. Customers will accept the change just like they did the removal of the optical drive, the deprecation of Firewire, the fact that you can’t use a standard microphone unless you have a preamp, the list goes on. When things happen we always hear from the incensed luddite crowd swearing they are leaving the platform for good. Never happens. And this has been going on for forty years now so get a clue.
    TurboPGTtmaywilliamlondonDeelronnolamacguyfastasleepbrucemcRayz2016badmonkthepixeldoc
  • Reply 10 of 72
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    boeyc15 said:

    View from a far, a bit over the top I know but... enjoy! ---

    90% only use Apple earbuds anyways, don't need a 3.5 mm jack --- piss on the other 10%(and all there existing hardware and plus the can buy the special adapter for $$)

    90% of the time users don't charge their battery while listening to music --- piss on the other 10% that need to

    90% only need x amount of much battery life anyways --- piss on the other 10% that do

    90% will figure out non-schemorphic(sp) interface--- piss on the other 10% that cant figure everything out

    90% don't use Pro software anyways --- piss on the 10% that do (and by the way are usually the biggest free 1%'ers cheerleaders for Apple)

    90% only need (fill in the blank) ... piss on the other 10%

    My recollection of the old Apple was that they were fairly uncompromising in regards to the user experience, pissing off 10% was not acceptable too often.

    We now seem to have a steam roll of '90/10 compromises' for the user where in some manner every one gets --- 'pissed on'!.

     

    You mean the old Apple that had hardly any customer base and made extremely niche products that worked ONLY for the 10% and pissed off the other 90%? To this day people still think you can't open an Excel file on a Mac.


    edited August 2016 tmaynolamacguyjcs2305Habi_tweet
  • Reply 11 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,030member
    sog35 said:
    Its also very impractical to have such a huge plug. Many people have their phones in landscape view and the jack will get in the way.
    Then those people either haven't been using iPhones or mo
    ved to BT headsets, because this has been the case with all of Apple's headphones. At least with using the Lightning port, it's in the center, which I say is inarguably better when I'm holding it in landscape mode.



    edited August 2016 TurboPGTjcs2305Rayz2016
  • Reply 12 of 72
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

    Its also very impractical to have such a huge plug. Many people have their phones in landscape view and the jack will get in the way.
    Admittedly it is much broader than the 3.5mm plug, but as you can see in the screenshot below, it is only slightly longer by perhaps a millimeter or two. There is presumably some chips and stuff inside. Clearly the advantage is that it will provide lossless audio quality. I'm hardly disappointed with the size or the functionality, however I would have preferred they kept the legacy audio jack as well since I own some really expensive headphones and once you plug in an adapter it would obviously be quite a bit longer overall.

    Deelronbaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,030member
    Personally, I don't use any of the included headphones from Apple. I find them to torturous on my ear-cartilage, even the newish EarPods. I also moved to BT a long time ago, but have a couple backup pairs of in-ear phones around. I guess I'll have to buy an adapter. Not the end of the world, and if they use that internal and edge space to move the technology forward in other areas, I'm all for it.
    edited August 2016 macseekerroundaboutnow
  • Reply 14 of 72
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I'm glad I'm happy with my 6S and don't need a new phone this year.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    TurboPGT said:
    Apple Lightning EarPods (included)
    Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm Adapter ($19)
    Apple Bluetooth AirPods ($79)
    I don't doubt you're right but the message people will get is Apple removed the headphone jack to upsell people on wireless earbuds. I think people are getting tired of the constant upsell. 
    cnocbuibaconstangentropys
  • Reply 16 of 72
    MacBAirMacBAir Posts: 48member
    TurboPGT said:
    Apple Lightning EarPods (included)
    Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm Adapter ($19)
    Apple Bluetooth AirPods ($79)
    I don't doubt you're right but the message people will get is Apple removed the headphone jack to upsell people on wireless earbuds. I think people are getting tired of the constant upsell. 
    Exactly! Can you blamer them/us?

    What practical advantage would a regular user get from the transition? Nothing, just more upsell.
    rogifan_newcnocbuibaconstangentropys
  • Reply 17 of 72
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

    lkrupp said:
    MacBAir said:
    Hi!

    So, what's the consensus, here? I think that the transition to wireless is the way to go, but if they sell lightning headphones they must include a lightning port on Macs as well.
    A part of me tells me that they will sell lightning headphones and we will have a 99$ option for wireless. That would be shameful, me thinks.

    These days it seems that it is all for current profit margins, even if impacts the platform on the long run.
    Blathering nonsense. Customers will accept the change just like they did the removal of the optical drive, the deprecation of Firewire, the fact that you can’t use a standard microphone unless you have a preamp, the list goes on. When things happen we always hear from the incensed luddite crowd swearing they are leaving the platform for good. Never happens. And this has been going on for forty years now so get a clue.
    Let's bookmark this and see if you're right. If Apple included wireless buds in the box at least they could market it as a transition to wireless. But moving it from something ubiquitous to a non-proprietary connector says what exactly? Especially when none of Apple's laptops ship with this connector and their newest laptop ships with USB-C. Are new MBPs going to ship with lightning? Or will people be expected to buy an adapter (that will probably be $10 more than it should be)? And will you be able to listen to audio and charge your device at the same time (which a lot of people do) or is that just another inconvenience people will accept because, Apple.
    edited August 2016 baconstangentropysHabi_tweet
  • Reply 18 of 72
    TurboPGT said:
    Apple Lightning EarPods (included)
    Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm Adapter ($19)
    Apple Bluetooth AirPods ($79)

    I'm guessing that's pretty close, but probably 20 bucks short on each.
    cnocbuientropys
  • Reply 19 of 72
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 561member
    MacBAir said:
    Hi!

    So, what's the consensus, here? I think that the transition to wireless is the way to go, but if they sell lightning headphones they must include a lightning port on Macs as well.
    Lightning on PCs is not required, as long as Apple adds a lighting to jack adapter to the iPhone Box – which they most likely would do, so people can use lighting headphones on their PCs as well.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    volcan said:
    sog35 said:

    Its also very impractical to have such a huge plug. Many people have their phones in landscape view and the jack will get in the way.
    [...]Clearly the advantage is that it will provide lossless audio quality. I'm hardly disappointed with the size or the functionality, however I would have preferred they kept the legacy audio jack as well since I own some really expensive headphones and once you plug in an adapter it would obviously be quite a bit longer overall.


    Explain to me how this  'Clearly... will provide lossless audio quality.'   



Sign In or Register to comment.