T-Mobile One resurrects unlimited wireless data for iPhone, starting in Sept.

Posted:
in General Discussion
T-Mobile has unveiled a new data plan called T-Mobile One, featuring no data caps, but subscribers will experience streaming video restricted to DVD-quality and 2G tethered data without additional fees.

The plan features unlimited 4G data, calling, and text messaging. The first line on a plan costs $70 per month, with a second line for $50. Additional lines after the second are $20 a month. Tablets can be added to T-Mobile One plans for $20 per device. Customers who opt out of auto-pay services see a $5 per line fee assessed.

Other traditional T-Mobile benefits are included, like data roaming in Mexico and Canada, "carrier freedom" programs where T-Mobile helps cover the cost of switching data plans, and the T-Mobile Tuesday customer bonus program.

Every video service is streamed at standard definition. Higher definition video is available, but at a $25 per line cost.

Mobile Hotspot functionality is limited to 2G speed, and is also unlimited. Full speed data tethering packages will be available, at unspecified cost.

T-Mobile customers using more than 26GB of high-speed data per month may still see data traffic prioritized to 3G or 2G speeds, at specific times and places that the network sees high network demand. There is no cap for full-time throttling implementation.

"I hope AT&T and Verizon try to follow us," said T-Mobile CEO John Legere. "In fact, I challenge them to try."

T-Mobile claimed during a conference call announcing the initiative that 99 percent of its customers have retained the "Binge On" media streaming. The company noted that its free media streaming service offer, that also limited video quality to 480p the same way that the T-Mobile One package will, served to stress-test the network prior to the new unlimited offer.

T-Mobile One launches on Sept. 6 at T-Mobile stores nationwide and t-mobile.com for postpaid customers. Customers may retain existing plans, but T-Mobile One will be the only plan offered to consumers. Prepaid services will be available in the future.

Carriers frequently alter cellular data plans prior to an iPhone launch. On Wednesday, AT&T revealed new data plans skewed in favor of greater data caps, and accounts with fewer devices sharing one data pool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I want a carrier that charges only for what I use UP TO a maximum, and then it's free after that. Having to buy a bucket of data that I may never use ... that's the real crime in the industry.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    I'm sure glad I got my T-Mobile Unlimited Everything plan for $80 a month last year all together, before the price went up $20.  Video streaming at full strength.  Aw yeah.
    supadav03bobcat62latifbp
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Is it too much to ask to simply have some links *somewhere* in the story to the company page describing these things? All you have are links to your own stories. Just simply have it open in a new tab to keep your site around since you are so worried about people leaving the site.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    This is a joke of a plan..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    T-Mobile. Love Binge On. Love free texts and (low speed ) data when I get to other countries. Love the ideas. The actual USA phone part of the service? So far below my ATT experience it's sad. Reception issues. Dropped calls. Thus it have been great for everything except mobile calls (and data when no reception). I cannot recommend unless you travel abroad a lot.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Have you ever been throttled to 128 Kbps?  Thats like dial up speed and isn't good for much other than text or email
  • Reply 7 of 9
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    T-Mobile is awesome in Boston. Call reception is better for me than it was on Verizon and AT&T. The data speeds blow Verizon and AT&T out of the water. This is just icing on the cake!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I was planning to switch when the iPhone 7 came out, but this new plan will raise my rates for less flexibility. We never use more than 10gb a month, but I do use tethering sometimes.  With my work AT&T discount I can get 15gb for $100 for 2 phones. 

Very disappointing. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dougd said:
    …128 Kbps?  Thats like dial up speed…
    Oh boy, are we already to the generation of kids who don’t remember the horrors of dial up? I would’ve loved 16KB/s with dial up. On a good day I got 5.