You just knew it was coming...someone sues Apple over .mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014




<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/16.applesuit.php"; target="_blank">http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/16.applesuit.php</a>;



And he's not even American. I thought WE had the market cornered on whiny, silly and frivolous lawsuits!



This guy (and tons of others) is pissing and moaning about $49, although he'd pay three times that for scalped, front-row seats to see Oasis or Radiohead or whoever the "it" band-of-the-moment is.



<img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,215member
    Heheheh well I'd be curious to see what his arguement will be. Most EULA stipulate that changes can take effect at anytime.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Less people would be bitching if .Mac was worth a shit.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,261member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

    <strong>Less people would be bitching if .Mac was worth a shit. </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Troll.



    EDIT - decided to add the - my sarcasm is more easily detectable in chat. Don't want the whiners to say that "yet another" mod was being a jerk...



    heh heh



    [ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Is .mac basically the same as iTools? Just spiffied up a bit and some extra storage/tweaks added?



    I'm kinda confused by the whole thing a little bit.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

    <strong>





    This guy (and tons of others) is pissing and moaning about $49, although he'd pay three times that for scalped, front-row seats to see ... or Radiohead ...



    <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

    &lt;completely off topic&gt;

    Hey, now scates. You go insultin' radiohead and dem's fightin' words. They kick some serious ass. And I'd pay more than 3x that for front row seats, if I could afford it.

    &lt;/completely off topic&gt;



    BTW, I did join .Mac, so I guess I'm easy like that...
  • Reply 6 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wasn't slamming on Radiohead or anyone. Was slamming on the guy for bitching about $49 for a tangible, long-lasting service/benefit, but who would probably think nothing of spending 2-3 times that for a 2-3 hour concert.



    That's all. Not bagging on any bands. Oasis and Radiohead popped into my mind because this was a guy and he was British.



    If this had been a girl from Oregon, I would've said nSync and Lenny Kravitz.



  • Reply 7 of 19
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    .mac just sucks.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

    <strong>.mac just sucks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

    Thank you for that intelligent comment. Did you ever use iTools? Well, it is just the same thing with having to pay money for, so, in theory, the idea that .mac just sucks is not true but that paying for .mac just sucks, not the services provided, and will be <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
  • Reply 9 of 19
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

    <strong>

    Thank you for that intelligent comment. Did you ever use iTools? Well, it is just the same thing with having to pay money for, so, in theory, the idea that .mac just sucks is not true but that paying for .mac just sucks, not the services provided, and will be <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Use iTools all the time. Never really relied on the email though cause Apple's servers were too unreliable. But Homepage is cool and easy to use. iDisk is okay...too small and too slow, even under 10.2. For $100? It sucks. So yes, iTools is great for FREE. My opinion? I am sure that sometime in the next year or two there will be some bad ass advantages to iTools/.Mac. Applke should have waited until there was more to it than just iTools and virus software we do not need.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mediamanmediaman Posts: 169member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

    <strong>Heheheh well I'd be curious to see what his arguement will be. Most EULA stipulate that changes can take effect at anytime.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Ahh! but the EULA is on the inside of the packaging (ie you only get to see it after you have made the purchase) iTools is included in the list of features on the outside of the OSX box. This guy is going to say that Apple advertised/promoted iTools as part of the original software that was paid for, and now Apple has removed the feature.

    This is going through the UK Small Claims Court, no lawyer, no jury, just 2 people who have to convince a Judge one way or another. If it goes in the guy's favor it can still set a legal president though.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Uh, precedent, that is.



    Paul: .Mac adds virus scanning tools and a backup mechanism, neither of which are terribly good. (The folks at MacWorld NY kept reinforcing the point that it's 1.0 software from their standpoint after I mentioned some feature, UI elements missing.) It also lets you use your .Mac member name in iChat instead of registering with AOL for access to the AIM network. It will also host calendars and allow you to share slideshow screensavers with other .Mac members. anyway, it's not worth $100 yet, but for $50, I think it's probably useful enough. Hopefully some added stuff to the virus and backup utilities will make it more worth the full price.



    I think it's fair to make a case like this, though I myself don't remember specifically thinking that it's really free for life. I'm absolutely positive that the EULA didn't say this. But while I don't want people protected from their own stupidity, I think if ample evidence shows misleading marketing of the iTools product, then they should be responsible for misleading its customers. I don't want this to be another Pizza Hut vs. Pappa John's lawsuit (the one where Pizza Hut sued Pappa John's over the motto "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza") that proves us to be all too gullible.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

    <strong>Is .mac basically the same as iTools? Just spiffied up a bit and some extra storage/tweaks added?



    I'm kinda confused by the whole thing a little bit.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Since everyone else decided to just argue amongst themselves , I'll answer this.



    .Mac is essentially iTools with a few extra features. Mostly, you get more storage space (100 MB), more email space (20 MB), the ability to backup data to your .Mac storage and a free copy of Virex anti-virus software.



    You'll also be able to use iCal to instantly update your schedule and sync it to a web page on your .Mac account, for sharing with colleagues. (I believe a password can be required, if you want to keep it within a set circle of people.)



    In addition, you can now get extra 'email only' accounts for an additional small fee ($10 each). These only have 5 MB of email storage, and no seperate .Mac storage or other features. That saves Apple from people (like me, admittedly) who had multiple iTools accounts just for the extra email addresses.



    And of course, you've got the standard iTools features (Homepage, apps & files on your iDisk, etc.). Personally, I found it worth the price, especially with the introductory offer. Others might not.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

    <strong>I think it's fair to make a case like this, though I myself don't remember specifically thinking that it's really free for life. I'm absolutely positive that the EULA didn't say this.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Even if it did say this, it doesn't necessairly mean anything. I have some hiking boots that advertise as having a lifetime warranty. Turns out, the lifetime in question is not mine, but the lifetime of the boot. iTools was free for life. The lifetime of iTools. Bitch and moan all you want, it's the way the world works. (BTW, has anyone ever found any evidence of the "free for life" clause? Screenshots? Anything?)
  • Reply 14 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Kesh:

    <strong>



    Since everyone else decided to just argue amongst themselves , I'll answer this.



    .Mac is essentially iTools with a few extra features. Mostly, you get more storage space (100 MB), more email space (20 MB), the ability to backup data to your .Mac storage and a free copy of Virex anti-virus software.



    You'll also be able to use iCal to instantly update your schedule and sync it to a web page on your .Mac account, for sharing with colleagues. (I believe a password can be required, if you want to keep it within a set circle of people.)



    In addition, you can now get extra 'email only' accounts for an additional small fee ($10 each). These only have 5 MB of email storage, and no seperate .Mac storage or other features. That saves Apple from people (like me, admittedly) who had multiple iTools accounts just for the extra email addresses.



    And of course, you've got the standard iTools features (Homepage, apps & files on your iDisk, etc.). Personally, I found it worth the price, especially with the introductory offer. Others might not.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Whoopie. So how is this any good to someone like me right now who:



    1. Can't afford $49.00 a month for high-speed access.

    2. Can't afford $49.00 or $100.00 for .Mac

    3. Who is pissed that Apple couldn't allow former iTools members even the use of of their email address.



    .Mac, tools for the privileged few.



    Still, you have to think that the fee is there to help Apple cut costs...billion dollar company they are...



    Boy the cynicism is pouring outta Artman today... <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Even if he was to win this suit Apple would pay it off and continue with .Mac as a pay service, and plus if it was true that Apple was to leave itools for free to previous Mac owners iTools would probably turn in to nothing and would leave you no option but to upgrade to... .mac.



    Brian

    <a href="http://birish.home.mchsi.com"; target="_blank">http://birish.home.mchsi.com</a>;



    [ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: BrianMacOS ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    .
  • Reply 17 of 19
    This one is for "Mediaman"...can you post that video clip on your idisk, I would LOVE to have that!!



    Thanks!



  • Reply 18 of 19
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Got you covered Tommy. In <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/cserrano/.Public/jobsonms.mov"; target="_blank">mov</a> and <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/cserrano/.Public/jobsonms.mp4"; target="_blank">mp4</a>.



    [ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 19
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

    <strong>Got you covered Tommy. In <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/cserrano/.Public/jobsonms.mov"; target="_blank">mov</a> and <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/cserrano/.Public/jobsonms.mp4"; target="_blank">mp4</a>.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Just out of interest where is that originally from? I have a presentation coming up and I wouldn't mind using that. If I going to use it though I need the reference.
Sign In or Register to comment.