New York Times to shut down app-based NYT Now news service

Posted:
in iPhone
The New York Times has announced it will officially pull NYT Now -- a cheaper, slimmed-down, app-based alternative to its core news services -- from app stores on the week of Aug. 29, blaming its downfall on weak demand.

Available for iPhone and Android, the app peaked at 334,000 unique users in May 2015, but has averaged just 257,000 in the last three months, the newspaper said. NYT Now was first launched in 2014 at a price of $8 per month, making it much cheaper than the $15 for a regular digital Times subscription. Floundering in spite of this, NYT Now switched to a free model last year.

Some of the app's features are being folded into the Times' main app, such as morning and evening news briefings. Content updates will stop sometime in September -- the app itself, though, should be pulled from the App Store and Google Play prior to then.

The aim of the service was to pull in younger mobile readers, but the Times noted that it has adopted a different, more successful strategy in this area, hooking into outside platforms like Facebook and Twitter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    Weak demand or product?
    bigbaconstangbigpics
  • Reply 2 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The NY Times really is a failing "paper".
    allmypeoplebigmacseeker
  • Reply 3 of 27
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    So I won't be able to get yesterday's new for free anymore? Part of the problem with legitimate news (as in professional writers, journalists) has to compete with opinion as news, blogg fools and a very culpable population that believes everything they find online. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 27
    spice-boy said:
    So I won't be able to get yesterday's new for free anymore? Part of the problem with legitimate news (as in professional writers, journalists) has to compete with opinion as news, blogg fools and a very culpable population that believes everything they find online. 
    Look at it this way. One's idea of what is news is entirely personal, so people only follow sources which interest them. There really is no such thing as news, there are only trusted sources.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Good. It would be wonderful if the print version also went out of business.
    macseeker
  • Reply 6 of 27
    apple ][ said:
    Yeah why don't we shutdown all this pesky Journalist thingy and have people Tweet pictures of cats instead that would deficiently safeguard a democratic society. 

And while we are at it lets elect Trump, he is an awesome tweeter..
    steinm88299dasanman69baconstangsagaciousanantksundaramspice-boynolamacguysingularitybigpics
  • Reply 7 of 27
    jblongz said:
    Weak demand or product?
    Au contraire.  Probably too much demand cannibalizing their uber-expensive $180 annual plans. They can't run their bloated payroll for less than $120/subscriber/mo.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    chelin74 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Yeah why don't we shutdown all this pesky Journalist thingy and have people Tweet pictures of cats instead that would deficiently safeguard a democratic society. 

The NYT is a threat to any democratic society, a corrupt, lying paper, whose main objective is to protect corrupt, lying, establishment politicians.

As for Trump tweeting, it sure beats a brain damaged, unhealthy, sick, old woman deleting tens of thousands of emails with classified info and endangering the entire country and all of its' citizens, and then continuously lying about it, while the lie-media covers for her.

SpamSandwichallmypeople
  • Reply 9 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    chelin74 said:
    apple ][ said:

Mainstream media is no longer trusted by the public to be objective and fair. Be it left or right the "reporting" is as biased as it gets. MSNBC watchers love to denigrate Fox News watchers and vice versa. News outlets today are little more than ideological operatives on both sides. The editorial page used to be the place where opinions and politics were presented without the pretext of objectivity. Now every article turns into a political or social diatribe. News reporters are now ideologues cloaking themselves in the mantel of "journalism." And each side would like to muzzle the other if they could... and have tried to. So we watch the channel that best reinforces our own bias and ideology. 
    edited August 2016 bigpics
  • Reply 10 of 27
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    spice-boy said:
    The "legitimate news" as you term them has stopped being gatekeepers and instead have become partisan advocates under the guise of "analysis."

People don't pay to be told what to think. The NYTimes could still make money if they could figure that out.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    lkrupp said:
    chelin74 said:

Mainstream media is no longer trusted by the public to be objective and fair. Be it left or right the "reporting" is as biased as it gets. MSNBC watchers love to denigrate Fox News watchers and vice versa. News outlets today are little more than ideological operatives on both sides. The editorial page used to be the place where opinions and politics were presented without the pretext of objectivity. Now every article turns into a political or social diatribe. News reporters are now ideologues cloaking themselves in the mantel of "journalism." And each side would like to muzzle the other if they could... and have tried to. So we watch the channel that best reinforces our own bias and ideology. 
    Well I do not watch TV, this is just one of the reasons why. On the other hand you can hardly argue that neither MSNBC nor Fox employs any journalists, can you?
    Their shows are pure entertainment.
    Reading an investigate piece in any great newspaper will provide you with information and not just some bobble head ejaculating point of views.

baconstangsplifnolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 27
    apple ][ said:
    You would only be happy when we return to the dark ages? I noticed all your comments reek of libertarian or dog eat dog, only the strong (should) survive, I got mine too bad if you got nothing, mentality. There should be islands where libertarians can live by themselves and not be subjected to needy others or those that prefer a society based on cooperation and kindness. 
    nolamacguyfastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 27
    spice-boy said:
    apple ][ said:
    You would only be happy when we return to the dark ages? I noticed all your comments reek of libertarian or dog eat dog, only the strong (should) survive, I got mine too bad if you got nothing, mentality. There should be islands where libertarians can live by themselves and not be subjected to needy others or those that prefer a society based on cooperation and kindness. 
    In what conceivable way is the New York Times keeping the "Dark Ages" at bay? They've been a politically Left mouthpiece for quite a while now.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I used to have both NYT apps on my phone, and only last week I deleted NYT Now.  Why?  Basically because I was getting the exact same notifications from both.  It just doesn't make sense for them to maintain two apps which are largely the same.  Additionally, for me personally, the ten free articles per month, per browser/platform is enough for me because I enjoy getting my news from many different sources.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    spice-boy said:
    In what conceivable way is the New York Times keeping the "Dark Ages" at bay? They've been a politically Left mouthpiece for quite a while now.
    Progressive ideas moved us out of the dark ages into the Age of Enlightenment. Not all NYT's writers have a Left perspective, you may not recognize the articles because they are not printed in ALL CAPS!. The dark ages came about when the church decided to burn books with idea's they did not agree with of fit the church's dogma. Masterpieces from ancient Greece and Rome were pagan and the science in those books counter the fantasies of Catholicism. I know 2 writers for the NYT and they are both highly educated people that do their best to research the stories before submitting them. Nobody should be silences because you disagree with them, but when extreme forces gain power that is the first thing they do, burn books and put away vocal critics. That is not what a democracy does. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 16 of 27
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    spice-boy said:
    it's not about the NYT, it's about the self-entitled bleak world view Apple ][ projects. he's obviously an old white male who's made it on the back of society's infrastructure, yet is under the delusion that he did it all by himself, which is why he wants to pull the ladder up after him. that's the problem. 

one can hardly believe he's an apple fan at all, considering his entire world view is at odds with Apple's (and its founders) idealogies. 
    singularityfastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 27
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

spice-boy said:
    Progressive ideas moved us out of the dark ages into the Age of Enlightenment. Not all NYT's writers have a Left perspective, you may not recognize the articles because they are not printed in ALL CAPS!. The dark ages came about when the church decided to burn books with idea's they did not agree with of fit the church's dogma. Masterpieces from ancient Greece and Rome were pagan and the science in those books counter the fantasies of Catholicism. I know 2 writers for the NYT and they are both highly educated people that do their best to research the stories before submitting them. Nobody should be silences because you disagree with them, but when extreme forces gain power that is the first thing they do, burn books and put away vocal critics. That is not what a democracy does. 
    well said. for all his pomp, if men with opinions like Apple ][ were in power the country would be a darker place, where knowledge and freedom were stamped out under self-righteous dogma. 
    singularityfastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 27
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    chelin74 said:
    apple ][ said:

But his tweets are great. They use words. Great words. So great they hurt of winning words
  • Reply 19 of 27
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    lkrupp said:
    chelin74 said:

The Times is an infuriating case.  With a depth of staff that produces some of the best in depth and off-beat feature journalism anywhere on the planet, but "news" that's fully bled over from their op-ed POV and which, while hostile to the right, is co-opted by the establishment left, and so is no refuge for the truly open-minded looking for fresh, post-left-right ideological ideas and who know our only chance is not just to start thinking outside the box, but to rebuild and change the shape of the box itself.

Meanwhile, while mixed, I shed no tears over the waning of the "news" paper that is the NY Times. 
  • Reply 20 of 27
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ said:
    chelin74 said:

The NYT is a threat to any democratic society, a corrupt, lying paper, whose main objective is to protect corrupt, lying, establishment politicians.

As for Trump tweeting, it sure beats a brain damaged, unhealthy, sick, old woman deleting tens of thousands of emails with classified info and endangering the entire country and all of its' citizens, and then continuously lying about it, while the lie-media covers for her.

Wanna talk about liars? How about Trump saying he witnessed the robbery of Lochte in Brazil.