Dead Logic Board?!

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hello, i have a question I am curious of what other people would have to say...

I have a macbook pro 15" unibody that always ran well. Recently changed the battery (not an official mac battery but compatible) and left it to charge overnight, next morning the battery haden't charged more than 50% so i reset the smc to see what would happen. The battery then showed full indicators green and charged 100%. However i was never able to boot again. Reset the smc many times, keyboard seems to works as well as the green light battery indicators and magsafe react. I opened the laptop to try to boot it with power pads since power button didint seem to work anymore, nothing to be done. What is yall take on this? Would the motherboard be dead or i guess parts of it because of a wrong battery voltage for example, but if the logicboard is affected, how comes the battery indicator still light up? Let me know what you think, thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    The green (or orange) light on the magsafe is controlled by a simple little power management unit that is separate from the logic board... no reason why it won't work properly even if the Logic Board is , indeed, toast.

Seems like too much of a coincidence to NOT suspect that the battery change is the cause of the problem.  Bad voltage to the board could indeed "fry" certain components that would render the board useless.  Since those batteries have the built-in charge indicators, they MAY have other "parts" built into the battery such as voltage regulation.  In that case, it's certainly possible that a bad battery unit could output slightly more voltage than the computer components could handle.  (No way of knowing if that's the case from here, but it's certainly possible.)

Either way, I think you'd have a hard time getting any sort of settlement out of the battery manufacturer, as proving it's fault (to THIER satisfaction) would be difficult at best.  It might just be time to accept a bit of bad luck and upgrade to a newer (or used) model... The HDD should be salvageable for data transfer.
    LaPeche
  • Reply 2 of 2

Thank's for your response, thats pretty much what i was thinking also, however are the battery indicators also controlled by an other unit? That is what got me wondering since they seem to be working perfectly on top of the magsafe light and the battery seems to charge fine even tho the computer wont power on.

The battery manufacturer is at least right now ready to refund the battery cost, wich is a start and of course HD has been transferred to an external case.

RIP my 15" haha! :pp

Thanks again!