Apple ceases code signing for iOS 9.3.2 and iOS 9.3.3, blocks Pangu jailbreak

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday stopped signing code for iOS 9.3.2 and iOS 9.3.3, meaning device users who upgraded to the most recent iOS 9.3.4 version, or who have not yet upgraded from iOS 9.3.1, are no longer able to access the release.

Twitter bot @TSSstatus brought word of the change, which prevents users from installing a version of iOS susceptible to security breaches. The move also effectively blocks the Pangu jailbreaks for iOS 9.3.2 and iOS 9.3.3.

Apple pushed iOS 9.3.4 out earlier this month, calling the release an "important security update." An accompanying support document describing the contents of the security update noted a single memory corruption issue that could allow an application to execute arbitrary code. Team Pangu was credited for discovering -- and exploiting -- the vulnerability.

Apple first released iOS 9.3.2 in June with fixes for iPhone SE Bluetooth issues and the ability to use Night Shift in Low Power Mode. The update was pulled and re-released for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro after users complained of bricking issues.

iOS 9.3.3 was released as a maintenance update in July with a critical fix for a flaw resembling the Stagefright exploit that hit Google's Android platform last year. The vulnerability, discovered by a Cisco engineer, allowed for the surreptitious gathering of sensitive data with a text message.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple stuck the knife in and even twisted it a little when they credited Pangu with the patch that killed their jailbreak. Nice.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    An "important security update" eh?  I guess that's why I keep getting  annoying BS pop-ups 3x a day to upgrade from 9.3.3.  
  • Reply 3 of 10
     I really don't care what or how this affects the jailbreak community. I no longer jailbreak my phone anymore, As I don't see a need for it. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    An "important security update" eh? 
    Given that it fixes an exploit that allows root access and installation and execution of unsigned code I'd say it's a pretty important security update... 
    netmageSolilamboaudi4
  • Reply 5 of 10
    This is interesting... How long until they require an upgrade or an "I Agree" button to a "Apple cannot be liable to your decision to be susceptible to malware"
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
     I really don't care what or how this affects the jailbreak community. I no longer jailbreak my phone anymore, As I don't see a need for it. 
    I never have either but I was tempted recently.  I have several perfectly working slightly older iPhones and iPads that I keep powered and updated but they are not our current devices.  I read that it is possible to run CarPlay on an iPhone or an iPad so as to make it a head which can then be placed in your car that didn't come with CarPlay and function identically to those very expensive heads from Pioneer etc.  The only snag is you can only do this on a jailbroken iDevice.  What a shame Apple don't provide an app themselves to simply convert an iPad or iPhone into a stand alone CarPlay head.  I haven't done it yet but as I say I am tempted.  I don't see the downside to Apple other than pissing off the makers of CarPlay heads, but I guess that must be the reason.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    Jailbreaking is bad, terrible;) for the following reasons (at least in my case with the 6S Plus) since you get:

1. CarPlay on the beautiful large display, no need to plug cables + you can add any apps on the homepage of carplay. (bad, bad, bad:)
    2. You can customize icons, sizes, shapes, number of icons text badges, save the layout.
    3. 3d touch for folders and other apps
    4. CCSetings with added many shortcuts for convenience on the control center
    5. Numeric wifi, for accurate wifi signal. Useful when connect ting to a new network.
    6. Amount of free ram in the status bar and the ability to free it.
    7. Several enhancements to the email app to preview attachments and to send more photos
    8. detailed battery life in settings
    9. Navigate from maps
    10. Delete forever option  
    11. iCleaner pro 
    12. Move more icons at once
    13. Play youtube in the background
    14. Remove Youtube ads
    15. Download youtube videos or audios
    16. Incognito messages (hide typing indicator)
    17. Speed intensifier
    18. VirtualHome (touch id home button)
    19. KeyVibe - Haptic Feedback on keyboard press
    20. AlwaysMore for Spotlight (adds a second row of recent apps in spotlight)

Ok I am getting tired typing, these are just few reasons. Use the phone for all banking and finance investments without any security issue whatsoever.

edited August 2016
  • Reply 8 of 10
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Sorry mods either your database is having issues or it doesn't like macOS Sierra beta 7.  Every time I try to post nothing happens for several minutes then if I click to save again I see either nothing still or suddenly several posts.
    It's something with the DB or server. Same problem here over the past few days with Chrome on Windows 7.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    johnbear said:
    Jailbreaking is bad, terrible;) for the following reasons (at least in my case with the 6S Plus) since you get:

1. CarPlay on the beautiful large display, no need to plug cables + you can add any apps on the homepage of carplay. (bad, bad, bad:)
    2. You can customize icons, sizes, shapes, number of icons text badges, save the layout.
    3. 3d touch for folders and other apps
    4. CCSetings with added many shortcuts for convenience on the control center
    5. Numeric wifi, for accurate wifi signal. Useful when connect ting to a new network.
    6. Amount of free ram in the status bar and the ability to free it.
    7. Several enhancements to the email app to preview attachments and to send more photos
    8. detailed battery life in settings
    9. Navigate from maps
    10. Delete forever option  
    11. iCleaner pro 
    12. Move more icons at once
    13. Play youtube in the background
    14. Remove Youtube ads
    15. Download youtube videos or audios
    16. Incognito messages (hide typing indicator)
    17. Speed intensifier
    18. VirtualHome (touch id home button)
    19. KeyVibe - Haptic Feedback on keyboard press
    20. AlwaysMore for Spotlight (adds a second row of recent apps in spotlight)

Ok I am getting tired typing, these are just few reasons. Use the phone for all banking and finance investments without any security issue whatsoever.
    Because if your iPhone is pwned you would certainly know it?
    ai46lamboaudi4
  • Reply 10 of 10
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    linkman said:

Because if your iPhone is pwned you would certainly know it?
    don't want fear to hold me back from fully enjoying the iPhone