WhatsApp says it will share some data with Facebook for ads & other purposes

Posted:
in iPhone
Messaging service WhatsApp on Thursday updated its user terms and privacy policy, revealing that it will start sharing phone numbers and some analytics data with its parent company, Facebook.

The change will let WhatsApp record metrics about how people use its service, as well as combat spam, the company said. On Facebook, though, phone numbers will be used to help push targeted ads, as well as improve friend suggestions.

WhatsApp is promising not to share message contents, which should already be encrypted end-to-end regardless. It also claims it won't post phone numbers on Facebook, or share them elsewhere, such as with advertisers.

People who want to opt out of the new terms can do so by unchecking a box when presented with them. If users have already agreed, they can still opt out within 30 days by toggling them off under WhatsApp account settings.

Despite safeguards the new terms could cause some users to jump ship for other secure messaging apps like Telegram, Signal, or Apple's iMessage if they own a Mac or iOS device. All three use end-to-end encryption.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    This is clearly going to alienate a lot of users. Why do they need to share phone numbers? What do they gain? Advertising revenue? Ah, so it's all just about screwing the user for half a cent every now and then? App deleted.
    cullyjahbladelostkiwilolliver
  • Reply 2 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Here we go. Whatsapp is free ? Not anymore.
    jahbladelostkiwilolliverwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    This was bound to happen sooner or later.  Facebook didn't pay $19b to just leave it alone.  
    jahbladebillomilllostkiwiGrimzahnsphericlolliverwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 13
    marsorry said:
    This was bound to happen sooner or later.  Facebook didn't pay $19b to just leave it alone.  
    Exactly. That's why I switched to Threema the day Facebook bought WhatsApp. Actually, I'm kinda surprised it took so long. Maybe they wanted to implement the end-to-end encryption first. But I suppose most users will still find this somewhat disconcerting.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Well this sucks. It goes totally against the principals that WhatsApp was founded on. 

• Reply 6 of 13
    Note to self : 1) WhatsApp delete
    start using "Signal" more, its encrypted too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)

edited August 2016
  • Reply 7 of 13

lostkiwi said:
    Well this sucks. It goes totally against the principals that WhatsApp was founded on. 

lostkiwi said:

I'm going with Signal , and deleted whats app, Signal works on iOS and Android and is encrypted end to end
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 8 of 13
    WHATSAPP PROMISES THE CHANGES WON'T LEAD TO A "SPAMMY" SERVICE- very funny - so they won't be giving your phone number to spammers? I have second used car for you, only one owner! that exactly whatt it means -

WHATSAPP PROMISES YOU WILL BE GETTING TEXTS FROM ADVERTISERS WHO PAY TO ACCESS YOUR PHONE! of course that was reason why Facebook wanted you to enter your mobile number for months. I suggest you remove that link if you don't want your account abused by fucktard: Mark Zuckerberg.

The anti privacy advocate Zuckerberg is an order of magnitude worse than Google. Facebook has  a far more sophisticated level of target advertising to tempt advertisers with and knows all your friends!

So exactly what kind of service, on their phones,will users be getting then? More calls and texts from advertisers trying to sell stuff obviously. I can't wait for the EU to stamp all over Facebook for this obvious antiprivacy move.
    edited August 2016 williamlondonlostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 13

darkpaw said:
    This is clearly going to alienate a lot of users. Why do they need to share phone numbers? What do they gain? Advertising revenue? Ah, so it's all just about screwing the user for half a cent every now and then? App deleted.
    IT may already be too late. even if you delete WhatsApp, if you entered your true mobile number into Facebook in the last year, then they know your number and can start texting and calling your phone with target texts robo calls. The only solution may be to delete Facebook account and even then it may be too late! Better get a new mobile number as well.
    this is the final straw for me. I just deleted my FACEBOOK  account  
    edited August 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 13
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Telegram? Let's not recommend that. Signal is the ticket. 
    edited August 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 13
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member

darkpaw said:
    IT may already be too late. even if you delete WhatsApp, if you entered your true mobile number into Facebook in the last year, then they know your number and can start texting and calling your phone with target texts robo calls. The only solution may be to delete Facebook account and even then it may be too late! Better get a new mobile number as well.
    I deleted my Facebook account *YEARS* ago, and never put my phone number on there. My friends on Facebook already had my phone number so I never saw any point volunteering up any extra info for Facebook to mess with.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    darkpaw said:

darkpaw said:
    I deleted my Facebook account *YEARS* ago, and never put my phone number on there. My friends on Facebook already had my phone number so I never saw any point volunteering up any extra info for Facebook to mess with.
    And yet Facebook may be tracking you anyway, especially so since you're in your Facebook friends contact lists. Agreeing to Facebook member account terms is no longer required. 
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/27/11795248/facebook-ad-network-non-users-cookies-plug-ins
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 13 of 13
    The user and all related content has been deleted.