Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board as firms prep driverless cars

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
Alphabet executive David Drummond, leads a number of Google investment arms including GV, recently stepped down from Uber's board as the two companies work to bring their respective self-driving car projects to market.

As confirmed to The Wall Street Journal on Monday, Uber said Drummond departed several weeks ago amid concerns over conflicts of interest. Drummond took a position on Uber's board after GV, formerly Google Ventures, invested $250 million in the ride-hailing firm in 2013.

"I recently stepped down from Uber's board given the overlap between the two companies," Drummond told the publication. "GV remains an enthusiastic investor and Google will continue to partner with Uber."

Earlier today, The Information reported Drummond was shut out from board meetings and denied access to sensitive information regarding future initiatives. Board "observer" and GV chief David Krane was also blocked from attending those same meetings, the report said.

Uber and Alphabet are developing driverless cars that could make their way to market in the near future. Uber, for example, is already testing a self-driving hybrid Ford Fusion on the streets of Pittsburgh, and earlier this month acquired self-driving truck firm Ottomotto to bolster its autonomous vehicle technology portfolio. Alphabet is also said to be mulling an entry into automated ride-hailing, according to the WSJ report.

Drummond's departure recalls a move former Google CEO Eric Schmidt made in leaving Apple's board of directors in 2009. Schmidt had served on Apple's board from 2006, but Google's development of a new mobile operating system -- later revealed as Android -- presented a major conflict of interest. It was later learned that late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs felt betrayed by Google's move into iPhone territory.

As tensions rise between Uber and its tech giant investor, Apple is said to be preparing its own self-driving electric car platform in "Project Titan." Most recently, the initiative is said to have undergone a shake-up that puts former product executive Bob Mansfield at the helm in place of Steve Zadesky.

In addition to shadowy skunkworks, Apple more directly impacted Uber's operations with a recent $1 billion investment in Chinese ride-hailing service Didi Chuxing in May. According to some reports, Apple's backing was a deciding factor in Uber's decision to abandon its bid for China, a plan realized when Didi purchased Uber China for $1 billion earlier this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Betraying Steve Jobs and Apple comes back to bite Giggle in the ass a decade later.

...and this won't be the last time.
    Herbivore2anantksundaramtallest skillostkiwifotoformatbadmonkjony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Earlier today, The Information reported Drummond was shut out from board meetings and denied access to sensitive information regarding future initiatives. Board “observer" and GV chief David Krane was also blocked from attending those same meetings, the report said.
    I wish Steve Jobs had done the same to Eric Schmidt. The world would be a better place.
    tallest skilcalifotoformatpalominepatchythepiratebadmonkjony0
  • Reply 3 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You can be sure Google has already stolen everything Uber did.
    anantksundaramcalilostkiwifotoformatpatchythepiratebadmonk
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Even Uber, with a significant capital investment from Google ventures doesn't trust Google and are making their own self driving cars. 

The self driving car market is now flooded with competitors. And Google expects to be able to make a profit. 

It won't happen. 

Too bad Apple didn't can Schmidt earlier. 

To to their credit, Google was the first to build an excellent search engine, profiting from it by selling ads. But the company has failed miserably in everything else they have done. 

Their ad revenue is being usurped by Facebook and now, even Uber won't let them be a part of the board. 

I won't be sad to see Google slide into oblivion. I use none of their products. Not even search these days. 
    anantksundaramlostkiwipalominepatchythepiratebadmonkjony0
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    After stealing all of Uber's plans...
    tallest skilcalilostkiwibadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 19
    lkrupp said:

Earlier today, The Information reported Drummond was shut out from board meetings and denied access to sensitive information regarding future initiatives. Board “observer" and GV chief David Krane was also blocked from attending those same meetings, the report said.
    I wish Steve Jobs had done the same to Eric Schmidt. The world would be a better place.
    If i remember correctly Eric Schmidt was repeteadly negated access to board meetings that discussed the iphone.
    singularity
  • Reply 7 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp said:

If i remember correctly Eric Schmidt was repeteadly negated access to board meetings that discussed the iphone.
    This is 2016. Uber LEARNED from Apple. Apple took the bullet for everyone else. Apple didn't know better at the time otherwise Steve wouldn't have had a snake like Shidt on the team.
    lostkiwifotoformatbadmonk
  • Reply 8 of 19
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Well, we all know Android existed prior to iOS and that Google is one of the pioniers in self driving cars...

Even more laughable is the claim that "search" is the only success that Google produced
  • Reply 9 of 19
    blitz1 said:
    Well, we all know Android existed prior to iOS and that Google is one of the pioniers in self driving cars...

Even more laughable is the claim that "search" is the only success that Google produced
    Android existed as a knockoff of BlackBerry's OS prior to the iPhone. 

tallest skilronnhzcstanthemanpalominepatchythepiratebadmonkjony0
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    blitz1 said:

Yup - they had a DOA operating system that they junked when they found something decent to copy. They have also pioneered self driving cars in a lab while Tesla and Uber are in the real world - gee I wonder who is moving quicker. Maybe Google will still win with cars because it will integrate with Google Glass... I mean Buzz... I mean Wave... I mean Google+... haha. At least the last one still pretends to be relevant I guess.
    ronnpalominepatchythepiratebadmonk
  • Reply 11 of 19
    blitz1 said:

Untrue
  • Reply 12 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    blitz1 said:
    Untrue
    Long proven.

hzcpatchythepiratebadmonk
  • Reply 13 of 19
    On a side note:  Is anybody frickin excited about future tech?  We are coming upon some great times my friends.  Can't wait.
    badmonk
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    blitz1 said:

Yes about that. 

Here's a little history lesson for you:

Vogelstein relays a quote from Google engineer Chris DeSalvo, who said, "As a consumer, I was blown away. I wanted one immediately. But as a Google engineer, I thought, 'We're going to have to start over.'"

That's what a Google Engineer said when he saw the iPhone for the first time. Yes, Google had written Android first, but when they saw the iPhone they realised what they'd written would be as popular as a turd in a swimming pool. 

They were facing a market disaster so quickly had to cobble together a new Android, which led to the shortcuts that have dogged them to this day (in case you wondered why they can't outperform an iPhone in real world tasks with twice as many cores). 

Here, educate yourself. 

https://www.engadget.com/2013/12/19/when-google-engineers-first-learned-about-the-iphone-what-we-h/
    edited August 2016 badmonk
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Even Uber, with a significant capital investment from Google ventures doesn't trust Google and are making their own self driving cars. 

The self driving car market is now flooded with competitors. And Google expects to be able to make a profit. 

It won't happen. 

Too bad Apple didn't can Schmidt earlier. 

To to their credit, Google was the first to build an excellent search engine, profiting from it by selling ads. But the company has failed miserably in everything else they have done. 

Their ad revenue is being usurped by Facebook and now, even Uber won't let them be a part of the board. 

I won't be sad to see Google slide into oblivion. I use none of their products. Not even search these days. 

• Reply 16 of 19
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Uber is doing the right thing by sending the barbarians outside the walls.
  • Reply 17 of 19

jaayco said:
    blitz1 said:

Yup - they had a DOA operating system that they junked when they found something decent to copy. They have also pioneered self driving cars in a lab while Tesla and Uber are in the real world - gee I wonder who is moving quicker. Maybe Google will still win with cars because it will integrate with Google Glass... I mean Buzz... I mean Wave... I mean Google+... haha. At least the last one still pretends to be relevant I guess.
    - who is "they"? Which operating system did "they" junk?

- The "self driving car in a lab", already drove over 1.7 Million miles. 1 (minor) collision in which it bears some responsibility. 
    - Tesla-the-quick already has one dead person in its track record.

- Car first integrates with maps (with all relevant destination and en-route information - you know, the application that's luckily unlike Apple maps)
  • Reply 18 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rayz2016 said:
    blitz1 said:

Yes about that. 

Here's a little history lesson for you:

Vogelstein relays a quote from Google engineer Chris DeSalvo, who said, "As a consumer, I was blown away. I wanted one immediately. But as a Google engineer, I thought, 'We're going to have to start over.'"

That's what a Google Engineer said when he saw the iPhone for the first time. Yes, Google had written Android first, but when they saw the iPhone they realised what they'd written would be as popular as a turd in a swimming pool. 

They were facing a market disaster so quickly had to cobble together a new Android, which led to the shortcuts that have dogged them to this day (in case you wondered why they can't outperform an iPhone in real world tasks with twice as many cores). 

Here, educate yourself. 

https://www.engadget.com/2013/12/19/when-google-engineers-first-learned-about-the-iphone-what-we-h/
    Well you already know that story couldn't be true. It's a known fact Schmidt stole all the iPhone details and took them back to Google. An engineer making believe they didn't already know all about it and were caught by surprise when it was finally revealed to the public? Yeah, right. BS. 

edited August 2016 singularitytallest skil