Apple seeds iOS 10 & macOS Sierra GMs to public beta testers

Posted:
in iPhone
Following up on Wednesday's developer releases, Apple on Thursday issued matching gold masters (GMs) of iOS 10 and macOS 10 Sierra to people in its public beta testing program.

Existing iOS 10 beta users should be able to perform an over-the-air update, while macOS users can upgrade through the Mac App Store's Updates tab. People not already in the Beta Software Program can sign up on Apple's website.

At this stage, however, there may be relatively little point in joining the program, as a GM is essentially finished code and the final releases of both operating systems are imminent. iOS 10 is coming on Sept. 13, while mac OS Sierra is due Sept. 20.

iOS 10 will add a number of new features, including support for third-party apps in Siri, a redesigned lockscreen with improved notifications, and a centralized Home app for HomeKit devices.

macOS Sierra will bring Siri to the Mac for the first time, but also add features like a universal clipboard, deeper iCloud storage integration, and Apple Pay on the Web.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ...last chance to buy new hardware before an #.#.0 release is the only officially Applecare supported option...
    :0
  • Reply 2 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Other than the unlocking animation speed being too slow and still funky since iOS 7.0, iOS 10 is the most bug-free OS Apple has released in a long, long time. And the fine design details and touches throughout the OS are superb.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I've been enjoying iOS 10 on my 12.9" iPad Pro for several months now.  The biggest issues I've had with it are 3rd party apps.  The OS itself has been stellar.  Anyone kicked the tires on Sierra?  Thinking about putting it on my iMac since I just got a GM download code for participating in the iOS 10 public beta...
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wreighven said:
    I've been enjoying iOS 10 on my 12.9" iPad Pro for several months now.  The biggest issues I've had with it are 3rd party apps.  The OS itself has been stellar.  Anyone kicked the tires on Sierra?  Thinking about putting it on my iMac since I just got a GM download code for participating in the iOS 10 public beta...
    I've had the public Sierra beta since it came out and it's been fantastic on my late 2013 15" rMBP. Only a one little weird issue. My wish list in iTunes disappeared (although I could still see it in our other non-Sierra Macs. I sent in some feedback on it and within a few days got an email from Apple saying they'd fixed the issue (they did and it's working fine now). Really looking forward to the watchOS 3 release next week so I can use the new auto unlock function. Not much risk left in taking the plunge.
    ireland
  • Reply 5 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    wreighven said:
    Back up first and you'll be dandy.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Downloaded the GM last night. Anyone else notice it's 10.0.1?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    wreighven said:
    I've run macOS Sierra since developer beta 1 on several Macs; a 2013 Mac Pro, 2010 MBP, 2016 MBA and a 2014 Mac mini.  I am now on the GM.  I've never had a single issue other than a short wait for support by apps like CCC but only a few days. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    A quick question. If i upgrade to GM version, and Apple releases future updates for public release, will the GM version receive these updates or?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    A quick question. If i upgrade to GM version, and Apple releases future updates for public release, will the GM version receive these updates or?
    You will.  A couple of OSes (IOS8 or IOS7, I forget which) ago had a change between the GM release and the public release.  My phone automatically updated to the public release upon release.
    Whiteness87
  • Reply 10 of 11
     It's pretty dumb that iMessage on Sierra does not display some of the new effects from iOS devices! Like when use the background of lasers it just says sent with lasers in parentheses. Fail !
  • Reply 11 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
     It's pretty dumb that iMessage on Sierra does not display some of the new effects from iOS devices! Like when use the background of lasers it just says sent with lasers in parentheses. Fail !
    iOS and macOS have a ton of differences.  Try running FinalCut Pro on your iPhone ;)