iPhone SE beats out iPhone 7 in LTE internet time, iPhone 7 Plus battery life king

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller may claim that the battery in the iPhone 7 Plus is the best yet, but the same does not hold true for the iPhone 7. According to Apple's own testing the smaller iPhone SE beats out the iPhone 7 by an hour when accessing the internet on LTE.

Apple's iPhone SE is listed as lasting on a full charge up to 12 hours on 3G with 13 hours on LTE, or Wi-Fi. Also claimed is up to 14 hours of talk, 13 hours of video playback, or 50 hours of audio playback. Standby time is up to 10 days.

The iPhone 7 also has 14 hours of talk time, and 12 hours on 3G. LTE time is one hour less at 12 hours, with Wi-Fi time exceeds that of the SE hitting up to 14 hours. Audio playback is 10 hours less at up to 40 hours, with video playback times matching the SE at 13 hours.

The iPhone 7 Plus has a dramatically better battery than either the iPhone SE or iPhone 7. Every metric exceeds or meets that of the smaller phones, with up to 21 hours of 3G talk time, 16 days of standby time, 13 hours of LTE or 3G internet access, 15 hours of Wi-Fi time, 14 hours of video playback, and up to 60 hours of audio playback.

The iPhone SE battery is a 1624 mAh unit. At this time, it is unknown what capacity the two devices in the iPhone 7 family have, but the similarly-sized iPhone 6s has a 1715 mAh battery, with the iPhone 6s Plus mounting a 2750 mAh battery.

Apple notes on its battery life estimates presented with all three devices that actual use patterns vary, and depending on circumstances may differ.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    It took a lot of courage to make that battery life claim.
    buddyrevellsmaffeicnocbuibaconstangfreshmaker
  • Reply 2 of 21
    However, if cared to check the way the testing was done, you would have found out, that on the iPhone 7 the Bluetooth was on and paired with headphones. Not quite the same, right? http://www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html
    londorcaliirelandmike1ai46
  • Reply 3 of 21
    It looks like they changed the metric on talk time, audio and video playback on iPhone 7 because it says (wireless). I think this talk time are with airpods on
    londorai46
  • Reply 4 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    High power Intel chips maybe?    I wonder if the rumors about Intel modems in the LTE versions are true.    Will need to sit back and read the reviews for the next couple of weeks.  
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jay-t said:
    However, if cared to check the way the testing was done, you would have found out, that on the iPhone 7 the Bluetooth was on and paired with headphones. Not quite the same, right? http://www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html
    Headphones were paired for the talk time, video playback, and audio playback tests — but not the LTE internet tests. The iPhone SE gets an extra hour of battery life when compared to the iPhone 7 in LTE internet usage in a straight comparison. 
  • Reply 6 of 21
    tailstoo said:
    Haha yeah. Schiller's "courage" remark cracked me up.
    smaffeibaconstangfreshmaker
  • Reply 7 of 21
    tailstoo said:
    iPhone 7… The "courage" to wait until next fall…
    baconstangfreshmaker
  • Reply 8 of 21
    The iPhone 7 uses LTE Advanced which provides better throughput however also takes more power via the modem that's used. The iPhone SE does NOT support LTE advanced which means speeds are lower and as a result requires less power... This isn't a good comparison of battery life. The headline might as well be "Slower modems use less power".
    londorSpamSandwichmike1ai46propod
  • Reply 9 of 21
    itpromike said:
    The iPhone 7 uses LTE Advanced which provides better throughput however also takes more power via the modem that's used. The iPhone SE does NOT support LTE advanced which means speeds are lower and as a result requires less power... This isn't a good comparison of battery life. The headline might as well be "Slower modems use less power".
    Actually that is incorrect. The iPhone SE does support LTE Advanced, according to the Verizon Website.
    nhughesJillxz
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Maybe the A10's controller likes to use those high performance cores a bit more when it comes to LTE web surfing...?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Perhaps because the new phones are not yet running the final, optimized version of iOS 10?
    coolfactorcali
  • Reply 12 of 21
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Nice. So the SE has 150mbps LTE vs the 7 at 450mbps and the slower LTE has longer battery life?  Strange.
    jkichline
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    It looks like they changed the metric on talk time, audio and video playback on iPhone 7 because it says (wireless). I think this talk time are with airpods on
    If so then that's pretty good.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    wizard69 said:
    High power Intel chips maybe?    I wonder if the rumors about Intel modems in the LTE versions are true.    Will need to sit back and read the reviews for the next couple of weeks.  
    The T-Mobile and AT&T versions have Intel modems. Thats why those models don't support CDMA.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tailstoo said:
    iPhone 7 Plus DOES have the longest lasting battery time. It's not a "claim" it's the truth.

If you had the "courage" to read a few sentences of the article you would know that.

Guys sorry for being hostile sometimes but I get sick of all the mindless bashing.
    edited September 2016 jkichline
  • Reply 16 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    smaffei said:
    tailstoo said:
    iPhone 7… The "courage" to wait until next fall…
    7S looks exactly the same as 7. Why wait?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Most people use internet over Wifi I'd imagine so the 7 bests.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    tailstoo said:

Dealing with all the criticism is, and doing unconventional things - does take courage.

I'll let Steve explain it:  

ai46hexclock
  • Reply 19 of 21
    If you remove power consuming headphones then sure you can get more battery life. Thiose headphones do use quite abit of power and not much savings can be made in that department. So making them wireless with independent batteries was aslo help. So what is battely life on headphones?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    tailstoo said:

Dealing with all the criticism is, and doing unconventional things - does take courage.

I'll let Steve explain it:  

Nice catch. This clip should be all over the internet this week. Thanks.
    Jillxz