How Apple achieved water resistance with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
At its press event last week, Apple described the iPhone 7 as its first "water-resistant" smartphone. What does that mean, though, and how does the technology work?
Unlike the Apple Watch Series 2, the iPhone 7 isn't truly waterproof -- if you go swimming with it, you're liable to end up with a very expensive paperweight. Instead it has an IP67 rating for water and dust resistance, which means that it can submerged in a meter (just under 3.3 feet) of water for 30 minutes. Effectively, this protects owners when dropping their phone in a toilet or a bathtub, or getting caught in a rainstorm. Even showering with the phone is off-limits, and Apple warns that what protection the phone does have could deteriorate with normal wear and tear. The iPhone 7 is at a slight disadvantage next to IP68 phones from the likes of Sony and Samsung, which can theoretically survive depths beyond the 1 meter mark, if not by much. Apple has largely been silent about how it made the iPhone 7 water-resistant, except to say that it re-engineered the iPhone "from the inside out" in many respects, also developing new seals and adhesives.
In practice this would have to translate into glues that can keep the chassis perfectly intact, with improved seals around any and all possible ingress points. That may have been one incentive for Apple to remove the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. In fact, though, the iPhone 6s was already partially water-resistant. Apple added rubber seals and gaskets to various areas, but didn't advertise this as a selling point, not the least because it wasn't enough to prevent the device from shutting down if exposed to enough liquid for a few minutes. Parts leaks, however, show how Apple went further with the iPhone 7 design. For example, an iPhone 7 SIM tray that was revealed before the product's announcement showed that it now features a rubber seal to help keep out water. Another change is to the home button, which no longer clicks on the iPhone 7, instead providing users with the sensation of a click featuring Apple's Taptic Engine. By eliminating another moving part --?and a point of potential entry --?Apple has prevented wear and tear while improving the resistance to water.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 18
    Short answer: By studying Samsung's exact technology. 
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Kinda misleading headline.
    No details.
    So: "with seals".
    Wow; great scoop.
    baconstang[Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mac-daddy said:
    Short answer: By copying Samsung's technology. 
    Lol, well- we will know that is true if Consumer Reports buys two of them in a row & they both fail the submersion test! =P
    cintosstanthemanradarthekatbaconstang[Deleted User]alexmacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mac-daddy said:
    Short answer: By copying Samsung's technology. 
    Technological progression over the past 50,000 years:  "Hey...look what that dude did with a rock, fire, wheel..........rubber gasket".     Samsung has been studying Apple's exact technology for nearly a decade...with some obvious success.    I would guess that Apple Watch tech/improvements are also a resource on the phone side.   Both appear to be taking a big step forward this go-round.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,008member
    Misleading article.  It does not say Samsung Galaxy phones failed water protection test. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Apple uses seals to keep water out of iPhone 7, whereas Samsung's Note 7 is able to expel water from the case by steaming it out. Advantage Samsung!
    punkndrublicradarthekatbaconstang[Deleted User]studiomusicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    mac-daddy said:
    Short answer: By copying Samsung's technology. 
    Right... Samsung "invented" seals.... Sure they did... Do you know what sludge turds you yap?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    foggyhill said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Short answer: By copying Samsung's technology. 
    Right... Samsung "invented" seals.... Sure they did... Do you know what sludge turds you yap?
    No, but Samsung invented the idea of waterproof phones. It's ok to admit that Apple copied a marketing ploy from its rival, it doesn't make the iPhone any less of a spectacular device. 

    How do those turds taste now?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Actually, I invented the "idea" of waterproof phones after I dropped my flip phone into a pool in 1996. WTF does "inventing an idea" even mean? You make no sense.
    edited September 2016 alexmactycho24watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    A side note on water-proofiness: the Apple Watch 2 is waterproof. As in, take it swimming. I will bet that a part of the "no cellular" decision was that they can't yet make a SIM tray waterproof. Splashproof - yes, waterproof - no. This is, of course, one of the reasons why Apple wants to get rid of the physical SIM and use an internal, programmable SIM. It's the carriers who are preventing that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Apple uses seals to keep water out of iPhone 7, whereas Samsung's Note 7 is able to expel water from the case by steaming it out. Advantage Samsung!
    Yeah right before the Kaboom
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    mac-daddy said:
    foggyhill said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Short answer: By copying Samsung's technology. 
    Right... Samsung "invented" seals.... Sure they did... Do you know what sludge turds you yap?
    No, but Samsung invented the idea of waterproof phones. It's ok to admit that Apple copied a marketing ploy from its rival, it doesn't make the iPhone any less of a spectacular device. 

    How do those turds taste now?
    How do you invent an idea agin ? I forget
    tycho24watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    mrboba1 said:
    Actually, I invented the "idea" of waterproof phones after I dropped my flip phone into a pool in 1996. WTF does "inventing an idea" even mean? You make no sense.

    Please tell me your panties wouldn't be in a bunch if Apple came out with waterproof technology first and then Samsung follows suit a year later. PLEASE tell me you wouldn't be slamming your fingers into your keyboard on this forum. :smile: 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quite a waterproof - warranty void if it has got moisture related issues   :o
    How can you even advertise that feature?
    singularity
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mac-daddy said:
    holyone said:
    mac-daddy said:
    foggyhill said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Short answer: By copying Samsung's technology. 
    Right... Samsung "invented" seals.... Sure they did... Do you know what sludge turds you yap?
    No, but Samsung invented the idea of waterproof phones. It's ok to admit that Apple copied a marketing ploy from its rival, it doesn't make the iPhone any less of a spectacular device. 

    How do those turds taste now?
    How do you invent an idea agin ? I forget

    Please tell me your panties wouldn't be in a bunch if Apple came out with waterproof technology first and then Samsung follows suit a year later. PLEASE tell me you wouldn't be slamming your fingers into your keyboard on this forum. :smile: 
    As sammy takes technical direction from Apple all the time with great efficiency that be pointless, and please get you're facts correct Apple did not coppy any thing from Samsung with regards to water resistance, if you do a little research you'll find that like everything, Apple has been working on this and many such technologies for some time and Sammy being the little scoundrel that she is looks at Apple's patent filing and jumps on the " idea" and pondering that Apple revels in patents, often with poor and rushed implementation, as most here know Apple takes a long time before introducing new tech because Apple's vesion of anything originally borrowed from it, through patent shopping, has to JUST WORK, as it usually does, as you may or may not know
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,318member
    mac-daddy said:
    Short answer: By studying Samsung's exact technology. 
    Wrong. Apple’s water resistance feature works. Samsung’s doesn’t as Consumer Reports reported when it tested the so-called Samsung water resistant phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    holyone said:
    mac-daddy said:
    holyone said:
    mac-daddy said:
    foggyhill said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Short answer: By copying Samsung's technology. 
    Right... Samsung "invented" seals.... Sure they did... Do you know what sludge turds you yap?
    No, but Samsung invented the idea of waterproof phones. It's ok to admit that Apple copied a marketing ploy from its rival, it doesn't make the iPhone any less of a spectacular device. 

    How do those turds taste now?
    How do you invent an idea agin ? I forget

    Please tell me your panties wouldn't be in a bunch if Apple came out with waterproof technology first and then Samsung follows suit a year later. PLEASE tell me you wouldn't be slamming your fingers into your keyboard on this forum. :smile: 
    As sammy takes technical direction from Apple all the time with great efficiency that be pointless, and please get you're facts correct Apple did not coppy any thing from Samsung with regards to water resistance, if you do a little research you'll find that like everything, Apple has been working on this and many such technologies for some time and Sammy being the little scoundrel that she is looks at Apple's patent filing and jumps on the " idea" and pondering that Apple revels in patents, often with poor and rushed implementation, as most here know Apple takes a long time before introducing new tech because Apple's vesion of anything originally borrowed from it, through patent shopping, has to JUST WORK, as it usually does, as you may or may not know
    That was a crazy long run on sentence. 
  • Reply 18 of 18
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
Sign In or Register to comment.