Apple launches iOS 10, tvOS 10 & watchOS 3

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Apple on Tuesday made available iOS 10 for iPads, iPhones, and the iPod touch bringing mass enhancements to messages, Maps, Siri, Photos, Apple Music, News, and more.

The first version of iOS 10, version 10.0.1, can be downloaded free through iTunes or as an over-the-air update through the Software Update function in the iOS Settings app. The update has left some hardware behind, running on the iPod touch sixth generation, iPhone 5, iPad Mini 2, and iPad fourth generation and newer.

iOS 10 features a redesigned Control Center, a new Lock screen, a new widgets screen, implementation of a Siri SDK for developers, a "Home" app for HomeKit, a new Raise to Wake feature, and a redesigned Maps.

Apple Music has been overhauled with a new interface, a "My New Music Mix" feature with 25 tracks a week selected by a user's musical taste, and other refinements.

Messages is vastly improved, and has added a number of emoji-related enhancements, dynamic text bubbles, hooks for developers, and rich links with images automatically integrated into chats.

Apps for iOS 10 started arriving on the App Store on Monday, including apps with hooks into Messages.

Alongside iOS 10, Apple has also made available watchOS 3, and tvOS 10.

watchOS 3

Apple's watchOS 3 brings a great deal of battery life enhancements, and speed improvements to the Apple Watch. A user's favorite apps will be kept in memory, background updates will pre-cache data, and apps will launch instantly on the new OS.

Apple is also planning to launch a series of new customizable watch faces in watchOS 3, including a fitness-focused one that presents activity rings in a large size, and a new Minnie Mouse option. watchOS 3 also makes it easier to switch between watch faces with a swipe.

tvOS 10

Apple's revision to tvOS brings enhancements to the iPhone remote app, as well as ultimately implementing a unified credentialing process for entering cable subscription data once, with propagation to all the compatible apps simultaneously.

tvOS is downloadable directly from the Apple TV, and is only compatible with the fourth generation Apple TV.

iOS 10.0.1 IPSW files range between 2.17 GB for the iPod Touch, to 2.64 GB for the iPhone 5s. "Over the air" updates are around 1.1GB. The tvOS download is 1.33 GB.

Server load is heavy, and previous releases of Apple's OS suites have been wracked with slow downloads for the first few hours.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    My iOS 10 download for my iPhone 6 was only 1.1GB, and I wasn't running any betas on it, just stock 9.3.5. 

There's also new iTunes Terms and Conditions you'll need to accept before doing anything with the App Store or iTunes today. 
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Same here on a 6S running 9.3.5 - 1.1GB. It's cranking away on the update right now. iPad Air says 1.0GB.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm installing it on an iPad Air 2 right now, it says that it's only 1.0 GB. 

I'm also installing it on an iPhone SE at the same time, and that one is also only 1.0 GB.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 4 of 59
    Downloading on my iPad and iPhone presently...
  • Reply 5 of 59
    My iOS 10 download for my iPhone 6 was only 1.1GB, and I wasn't running any betas on it, just stock 9.3.5. 

There's also new iTunes Terms and Conditions you'll need to accept before doing anything with the App Store or iTunes today. 
    Same here - just requested, we'll see how long this takes

Edit: I should have brought my watch charger with me to get watchOS too ;)
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 6 of 59
    1.1 GB here too...iPhone 6S
  • Reply 7 of 59
    Christmas, part one :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 59
    The speed wasn't an issue here.. 8 mb per second, which is pretty much the limit of my connection (around 64MB). Did they improve their network?
  • Reply 9 of 59
    I'm most excited about watchOS 3...biggest changes there...and the most needed!
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 59
    lymf said:
    The speed wasn't an issue here.. 8 mb per second, which is pretty much the limit of my connection (around 64MB). Did they improve their network?
    They've continued to build out their CDN as of late, so I'd imagine things should continue to improve. 

It'll never be as bad as the iPhone 3G release date, when Apple dropped iPhone OS 2.0 the same day...
  • Reply 11 of 59
    I am running the IOS Golden Master, do I need to do anything to get the official release? Software update says that the software is up to date. Thanks for any help/comments.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    lymf said:
    They've continued to build out their CDN as of late, so I'd imagine things should continue to improve. 

It'll never be as bad as the iPhone 3G release date, when Apple dropped iPhone OS 2.0 the same day...
    They could have released iOS, watchOS, and macOS on the same day. I'm sure there's a very good reason macOS is being released next week instead of today or later this week. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 59
    mobird said:
    I am running the IOS Golden Master, do I need to do anything to get the official release? Software update says that the software is up to date. Thanks for any help/comments.
    No, the GM is the same version as the RTM version today. Same with macOS Sierra. 
    mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 59
    mobird said:
    https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

How do I get a shipping version of iOS back on my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

Always back up your iOS device before installing beta software. To get a shipping release of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can simply install the final version of the software you are testing when it appears in Software Update. If you would like to go back to a previously released version, you must first erase the beta software, then re-install the latest shipping version of iOS, and finally restore from your previously saved iTunes backup.

It probably just hasn't shown up for you yet. Sometimes it seems staggered...

edited September 2016 mobird
  • Reply 15 of 59
    2,15 GB and 55 minutes to go on my 5S…
  • Reply 16 of 59
    mrboba1 said:

Same here - just requested, we'll see how long this takes

Edit: I should have brought my watch charger with me to get watchOS too ;)
    Oh yeah! That's the upgrade I'm really looking forward to...
    mrboba1watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Uhhhhh! Update screwed my phone up and wants me to restore. :( After installing the iOS 10 update it rebooted with the iTunes logo with the lightning cord. Thanks Apple!
    manfred zorn
  • Reply 18 of 59
    2.15 GB on 5S.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Both my iPhone 6S and my iPad Pro crashed; they are showing the Lightning cable connect-to-iTunes splash screen. Had to plug them both in and iTunes brought up an error message stating a reinstall of 9.3.5 would have to be done.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    RezRez Posts: 19member
    It bricks my iphone 6S+, its telling me to connect to itune and now it is down grading back to ios 9 
    Sumting Wong