tvOS 10 for Apple TV launches minus single sign-in feature for cable credentials

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A promised feature for tvOS 10, single sign-in for cable companies, is not available yet and is listed as "coming soon" on the Apple TV page.

The single sign-in feature revealed at the 2016 WWDC will ultimately allow users to enter a cable company's login information once, with automatic propagation across all installed apps that support the feature. It is not known if the feature was slated for launch, or if it was planned to appear in a "point" update to tvOS.

Currently available in the tvOS 10 release is dark mode, and Siri enhancements similar to that in the iOS 10 release.

The tvOS update is available for fourth generation Apple TV owners, through the Apple TV itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    This is a remarkably small update. Biggest feature I noticed was dark mode, and in Canada the new Siri queries don't even seem to work. Can't find many other changes besides some updated animations etc.
    williamlondoncalidoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Let me guess: the f***ing cable companies have somehow prevented this from rolling out due to technical issues.

North Korea, please aim your missiles at Comcast HQ.

On a related note, it's now more of a pipe dream that Apple will be able to make a set-top box, what with the FCC's defeat in the face of high-powered cable company lobbyists.
    edited September 2016 doozydozenlmagoowatto_cobra[Deleted User]palomine
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mtbnut said:
    Let me guess: the f***ing cable companies have somehow prevented this from rolling out due to technical issues.
    Probably a very good assumption. Cable companies in the US would fuck up a free meal if it were offered to them.
    dysamoriacalidoozydozenlmagoowatto_cobra[Deleted User]palomine
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mtbnut said:

On a related note, it's now more of a pipe dream that Apple will be able to make a set-top box, what with the FCC's defeat in the face of high-powered cable company lobbyists.
    Are you referencing the municipal broadband defeat?

that sucks. 
    doozydozenlmagoo
  • Reply 5 of 22

I will be the first to admit to being a fan of Apple products, most of my consumer electronics are Apple products.  That being said what is going on with them lately.  One of the biggest features of the new iPhone 7+ is the dual cameras that allow for better portraits.  They spend what seems like a quarter of the event going over the feature, then at the end tell everyone the feature would not be available at launch, but should be available later this year.

Now the only real feature of TVOS 10 is the one click feature.   I was super excited this morning when I read that the TVOS is available, now I found out that the one feature I was going to use is not available and is coming soon.  In other words, since there is no date of timeframe, I am guessing it will not be available until next year, if the cable companies allow it at all.

dysamoriacali
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I'm guessing this is being delayed due to a lack of support from developers. Apple probably wants the feature to work, which will require devs to update their tvOS apps. We'll probably see it in the next month or two.
    TurboPGTdoozydozencaliwilliamlondonjkichlinewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    omakone said:

Now the only real feature of TVOS 10 is the one click feature.   I was super excited this morning when I read that the TVOS is available, now I found out that the one feature I was going to use is not available and is coming soon.  In other words, since there is no date of timeframe, I am guessing it will not be available until next year, if the cable companies allow it at all.

Initially I had the same feeling - except, I've already logged on to all of my services wonder why I should get bent out of shape about this. This feature will be great for new AppleTV owners, but for those of us already signed in on our apps, it's a bit of a nonissue (until new services roll out, that is).
    doozydozentomkarlwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Gotta say....super disappointing.
    calilibertyforall
  • Reply 9 of 22
    omakone said:

Initially I had the same feeling - except, I've already logged on to all of my services wonder why I should get bent out of shape about this. This feature will be great for new AppleTV owners, but for those of us already signed in on our apps, it's a bit of a nonissue (until new services roll out, that is).
    It goes way beyond that...for one, the Apps with own mechanisms have a tendency to log you out after a period, requiring the whole horrid process to start again. Not even to mention if you ever reset/restore/buy new Apple TV.

Also, there is supposed to be a single page on the App Store to show you all of the Apps that you are now authenticated with after signing in, making discovery better.

I am really looking forward to this because honestly, many of those Apps, if I open and see that login screen, I immediately exit and move on to something else, because its not worth it.
    dysamoriadoozydozencalilibertyforallmacsince1988airbubblepalomine
  • Reply 10 of 22
    omakone said:

I will be the first to admit to being a fan of Apple products, most of my consumer electronics are Apple products.  That being said what is going on with them lately.  One of the biggest features of the new iPhone 7+ is the dual cameras that allow for better portraits.  They spend what seems like a quarter of the event going over the feature, then at the end tell everyone the feature would not be available at launch, but should be available later this year.

They have not changed in that they will wait until it is ready before releasing it. The thing that has changed is they have so much in motion on various fronts that they no longer hold everything until that one thing is ready. Like the two camera DOF portrait mode. Lots of good pictures will be taken between now and when it is ready. It isn't as if the phone/camera is crippled. Some of the photos posted had a decent blur, but just not to the extent as the portrait mode will.
    califastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    omakone said:

TurboPGT said:
    Gotta say....super disappointing.
    I would write to Apple and Tim Cook immediately and demand a refund. Threaten a class action lawsuit that you were duped into paying for this update...wait.....

ai46mwhitewilliamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Thankfully, this no longer affects me as I finally told my cable company where they could stick their overpriced TV service a couple of weeks ago following a year of consideration. Honestly, I haven't even noticed it's gone - there's plenty to watch using my lifetime TiVo connected to an OTA antenna and on Neflix/Hulu/Amazon. I could add several other streaming subscriptions and still come out cheaper than what I was paying for cable. First time in 35 years I haven't had cable or satellite TV...and it feels somewhat liberating!

I very much welcome "dark mode" - especially for the oversized TV in my bedroom that lights up brighter than the surface of the sun when the menu appears on my Apple TV.
    ai46caliwatto_cobrapalominestompylolliver
  • Reply 13 of 22
    TurboPGT said:
    omakone said:

It goes way beyond that...for one, the Apps with own mechanisms have a tendency to log you out after a period, requiring the whole horrid process to start again. Not even to mention if you ever reset/restore/buy new Apple TV.

Also, there is supposed to be a single page on the App Store to show you all of the Apps that you are now authenticated with after signing in, making discovery better.

I am really looking forward to this because honestly, many of those Apps, if I open and see that login screen, I immediately exit and move on to something else, because its not worth it.

That is the truth. I bought a new Appletv to send my 3rd gen to the bedroom TV. I am still logging into apps, 3 months later. I don't watch much TV, although football will change that some. When I sit down to watch 20 minutes or so while I eat dinner, the last thing I want to do is waste 5 minutes logging in and authorizing. Very un-Apple like experience. Fix it!
    palomine
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mtbnut said:
    It's almost like Tom Wheeler is a former cable-industry lobbyist who got the job to serve as controlled opposition...
  • Reply 15 of 22
    mtbnut said:

The FCC has a final proposal to be voted on the 29th so they may be waiting for that.
    They are also probably waiting for all participating cable providers to be ready.
    If one cable provider gets a head start, the others will lose many customer to the one with the head start.

Comcast actually suggested the proposal instead of a previous one and now they are bitching about it.
    https://consumerist.com/2016/09/08/comcast-already-crying-that-fcc-set-top-box-proposal-violates-federal-law/
    http://fortune.com/2016/09/08/fcc-caves-to-cable/
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 16 of 22
    slurpy said:
    This is a remarkably small update. Biggest feature I noticed was dark mode, and in Canada the new Siri queries don't even seem to work. Can't find many other changes besides some updated animations etc.
    You have to say, "Eh, Siri."
    watto_cobrastompylolliver
  • Reply 17 of 22
    This feature requires updates to third party apps. They are probably working to finish integration now that iOS 10 is ready. Once everything tests out, Apple will enable the feature to function, probably remotely.

This is a non-issue.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Pretty large let-down from Apple on this missing feature -- something which should have been included LAST YEAR!

Also, what's up with the lack of batch previous app installs to ATV and no cloud backup of settings or even to iTunes?!  Manually restore firmware and you loose every app!  FAIL!  Setup multiple ATVs and have to add the same apps one by one.  FAIL!  Apple sucks these days on ease of use and needs a hot poker to wake up.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    mtbnut said:

the Apple TV is a set top box. 

and if anything, defeating the cable companies insisting we should have to rent a box from them, helps the Apple TV
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mtbnut said:

So are cable companies the reason TV 4 launched without Bluetooth keyboard support, an updated remote app and Siri support for Music?