GoPro unveils $799 Karma flying camera drone, plus handheld & mountable stabilizing grip

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
Karma, the long awaited first flying camera from GoPro, was unveiled on Monday with a starting price tag of $799, including a handheld stabilized grip for capturing shots on the ground. Also announced were waterproof and cloud-connected Hero5 and Session cameras, simplified video editing software for Apple's iOS, and a keychain-sized, Lightning-connected microSD card reader.

For $799, the Karma includes the portable, foldable drone and handheld gimbal attachment, but users will need to bring their own camera --?either a GoPro Hero4 or 5. For those who don't have a compatible camera, a bundle with the Hero5 Session will run $999, while a version with the standard GoPro Hero5 will cost $1,099.

The GoPro Karma also includes a backpack for carrying the drone and accessories. The product launches on Oct. 23.

Control of the device is accomplished with a clamshell-style controller with a touchscreen display and dual joysticks.

The Karma Grip can be used in a handheld mode, but the gimbal can also be attached to GoPro's assortment of mounts.

In a video presentation Monday, GoPro showed footage from the Karma Grip attached to a chest mount while the wearer rode a bike down a mountainside at high speeds. Though the bike rode across varied terrain and the environment flew by, the shots captured by the GoPro itself were smooth and steady thanks to the gimbal accessory.

Also announced Monday was the $399 Hero5 Black camera, capable of capturing 4K video at up to 30 frames per second and 1080p HD at 120 frames per second. It also has built-in GPS, voice control, and is waterproof without the housing up to 33 feet.

The Hero5 also includes electronic image stabilization and a 2-inch touchscreen display. It also captures 12-megapixel still images.

The smaller $299 Hero5 Session captures 4K video at 30 frames per second and 10-megapixel images, though it lacks GPS or touch display. Both it and the standard Hero5 are cloud-connected, and can upload photos and video while charging for paid subscribers to the GoPro Plus service.

Both the GoPro Capture and Quik apps for iOS will be updated with support for the new GoPro Plus service. The cloud-based storage and automated syncing solution will cost $4.99 per month.

Finally, GoPro CEO Nick Woodman also showed off a new product called the Quik Key, a microSD-to-Lightning card reader. When connected to an iPhone or iPad and used with GoPro's Capture app, users can quickly transfer their videos to their mobile device to edit and share on the go. The Quik Key accessory will cost $29.99.

sellerington

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Wow!! It's a drone!
    TripRapper
  • Reply 2 of 11
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    That's pretty awesome! These things are just getting better and better! Did I overlook battery life? The case should also contain a battery that will recharge the Karma when it is placed back into it, or even better, have a swappable battery in the case that will recharge, or can be changed out for the battery in the Karma.
    edited September 2016 TripRappersellerington
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Again. Again.

You'll see things you've never seen before like bog-standard demo footage.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    roake said:
    That's pretty awesome! These things are just getting better and better! Did I overlook battery life? The case should also contain a battery that will recharge the Karma when it is placed back into it, or even better, have a swappable battery in the case that will recharge, or can be changed out for the battery in the Karma.
    Tech specs says 20 minutes which is kind of dissapointing. Great kit anyway with grip & case included. Feature wise drone looks like lacking some cool features of DJI Phantom 4 but if it works and is rugged enough I'm interested.
    TripRapper
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jume said:
    roake said:
    Tech specs says 20 minutes which is kind of dissapointing. Great kit anyway with grip & case included. Feature wise drone looks like lacking some cool features of DJI Phantom 4 but if it works and is rugged enough I'm interested.
    Yeah the DJI P4 only does 28 mins...and is way more expensive than the Karma and way bigger and bulkier, but still probably the best drone for the money besides the Karma. You get the detachable gimbal with the Karma though...we need to see this stuff in the real world testing...but GoPro hit it out of the park...Apple will probably buy them one day...hehe!
    sellerington
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jume said:
    roake said:
    Yeah the DJI P4 only does 28 mins...and is way more expensive than the Karma and way bigger and bulkier, but still probably the best drone for the money besides the Karma. You get the detachable gimbal with the Karma though...we need to see this stuff in the real world testing...but GoPro hit it out of the park...Apple will probably buy them one day...hehe!
    Apple will not buy GoPro. They're just a marketing company. Apple could make a sports camera if they really wanted, but GoPro's market is being eroded by numerous cheap Chinese sports camera rip offs.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 7 of 11
    This was a big let down from GoPro - they having been pumping Karma for quite a while now, and the actual announcement seems relatively mid-pack and blah.

• Reply 8 of 11
    Good reporting!

All the other articles I have seen have missed the Quik Key altogether. I believe that the Quik app is currently limited to 1080p and transfers by Wi-Fi are really too slow for video. If the Quik Key can transfer data fast enough it could make editing video on iPad worthwhile. I wonder how this compares to Apple's Lightning to SD Card Camera reader?

The Karma grip is the product I have been waiting for. The myriad of electronic gimbals and stabilisers on the market for the GoPro have promised so much but have lacked quality and support. I am interested to see how this works particularly with the GoPro Hero 4 cameras. I wonder if this could work with an iPhone in a GoPro mount?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I was thinking wow that's cheap ... then I realized you still have to buy a camera!  lol
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    jume said:
    roake said:
    Which is almost 10 minutes more then Karma... And it's not way more expensive. With Karma you need to add GoPro camera and you are then at the same price so don't talk stories that are bullshit. 

Size wise you are correct, GoPro did a good job and also to include a pack for it is a great deal. But don't forget DJI is releasing it's own compact drone soon. Also it's to note DJI has years of experience and it's drones are in 4th generation already which means Go Pro will yet have to prove itself how it flies, shoots and handles. It's also lacking flying features like obstacle detection, automatic fly modes, follow...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I see some competition coming up between phantom and GoPro!