Yahoo confirms at least 500M accounts impacted by 2014 security breach

Posted:
in General Discussion
Yahoo on Thursday announced that information associated with at least 500 million accounts was stolen in a security breach of its network in 2014, claiming a "state-sponsored actor" was behind the attack.

According to a statement released through Yahoo's official Tumblr page, the data leak includes names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, passwords and security questions. Yahoo does not believe unprotected passwords, payment card or banking account information was stolen in the breach, as such data was not stored on the compromised system.

Yahoo stumbled upon the breach this summer while investigating a separate incident involving data stolen from the company's servers, The New York Times reports. At the time, hackers posted an alleged cache of Yahoo user data to underground forums and marketplaces. While Yahoo's findings were inconclusive, the investigation unearthed a 2014 breach claimed to have been executed by a state-sponsored actor, the report said.

Though Yahoo declined to name the country it believes was involved in the attack, the company said an ongoing investigation found no evidence that the person or persons are currently on its network.

In addition to its own internal investigation, Yahoo is cooperating with law enforcement agencies to resolve the matter.

"An increasingly connected world has come with increasingly sophisticated threats. Industry, government and users are constantly in the crosshairs of adversaries," said Bob Lord, CISO at Yahoo. "Through strategic proactive detection initiatives and active response to unauthorized access of accounts, Yahoo will continue to strive to stay ahead of these ever-evolving online threats and to keep our users and our platforms secure."

Yahoo is in the process of notifying users who might be affected by the breach via email. Those impacted are urged to change their passwords and method of account verification. The company also suggests users who have not updated their password credentials since 2014 do the same. As a precaution, Yahoo invalidated unencrypted security questions and answers to deny unsolicited access into compromised accounts.

News of the security breach comes at a sensitive time for Yahoo, which is in the midst of being taken over by Verizon Communications in an acquisition worth $4.8 billion. The Times reports Verizon is still moving forward with the purchase, though what effect the breach might have on Yahoo's price is unclear.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Time for some more layoffs...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    There will be lawsuits, both class action from investors and especially from Verizon... they just bought this mess!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    And it also looks like this site was hacked. There's a dozen Chinese spammer threads now. Nice. Not!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Oh no, both of my spam aggregate e-mail addresses. Whatever shall I do without those throwaways…
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is why you don't post your real info on these sites.

"Yahoo will notify users by email"

except my email was hacked and I can't log in.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    If data was stolen from your server then surely time is of the essence. Tell people ASAP so they can change their passwords so the hackers can't gain access to their emails. Don't f***ing wait 2 years! The damage is well and truly done now. I hope they get brought to their knees by regulators and class action law suits.
    icoco3macseeker
  • Reply 7 of 16
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    evilution said:
    If data was stolen from your server then surely time is of the essence. Tell people ASAP so they can change their passwords so the hackers can't gain access to their emails. Don't f***ing wait 2 years! The damage is well and truly done now. I hope they get brought to their knees by regulators and class action law suits.
    My thoughts exactly. "We're right in it" with a 2 year delay does not cut it.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I've heard varying reports about the passwords being stolen. Perhaps they were stolen but surely they were MD5 hashed.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    icoco3 said:
    evilution said:
    My thoughts exactly. "We're right in it" with a 2 year delay does not cut it.
    Read the darn article. Yahoo didn’t wait two years to report the breach. They only discovered it this past summer when they were investigating another hack. Believe what you want. Fantasy is always better than reality I guess.

The question I have is about my long time AT&T email address. Yahoo has hosted AT&T’s email services for over ten years and the reports don’t mention if those email addresses were compromised.
    edited September 2016 nouser
  • Reply 11 of 16
    If there is any changes from Verizon, Yahoo and AoL Webmail in iCloud, Gmail and Verizon Yahoo Mail, in the iOS Mobile Apps , Google Play Mobile Apps, Windows Mobile Web Apps for Yahoo Mail is on Verizon Yahoo Mobile Appstore on the Website of "Verizon Yahoo 5Z Premium Networks Subscribers Only. In order to be secure and safety.

Richard Sison Ferrer Sr.
    GMA- Google Microsoft Apple  
    iRS -Information Right Software...

• Reply 12 of 16
    This is not an isolated instance of hacking.  I had to redo all my email etc., name and password about two months ago including Yahoo for hacking.  Similarly, I've been on an annual credit card renewal cycle due to store sites getting hacked Home Depot, Target, etc.  

Its about time that law or regulation gets passed that requires prompt and full disclosure of hacking.  Also, there should be a huge penalty to stores, credit card companies, ISPs, email service providers, etc., if they do not offer and encourage the use of things like two factor authentication and ApplePay.  

Right now its considered a cost of doing business, but it is terrible inconvenience and in some cases financial crisis for users.  The big concern is NOT the pain and risk but rather the bad PR.  Their actions are to give users "free credit checking services."  This is grossly inadequate since it is troublesome, after the fact, generally a placebo for real correction, and dirt cheap.  

At a minimum there should be a $100 to $1000 fine for each account potentially hacked with the funds put into escrow for reparations and whatever is left over goes into general fund to research and deploy improved security measures by businesses.  

The criminally negligent deployment of smart credit cards in the US [note world wide for over a decade] should make clear the utter disregard that business has for customer privacy and protection.

Automatic encryption of all email and "data at rest" on computers and email servers should be required including mobile devices.  The Government interest in access to my data should be secondary to this capability.  
  • Reply 13 of 16
    gprovida said:
    This is not an isolated instance of hacking.  I had to redo all my email etc., name and password about two months ago including Yahoo for hacking.  Similarly, I've been on an annual credit card renewal cycle due to store sites getting hacked Home Depot, Target, etc.  

Its about time that law or regulation gets passed that requires prompt and full disclosure of hacking.  Also, there should be a huge penalty to stores, credit card companies, ISPs, email service providers, etc., if they do not offer and encourage the use of things like two factor authentication and ApplePay.  

Right now its considered a cost of doing business, but it is terrible inconvenience and in some cases financial crisis for users.  The big concern is NOT the pain and risk but rather the bad PR.  Their actions are to give users "free credit checking services."  This is grossly inadequate since it is troublesome, after the fact, generally a placebo for real correction, and dirt cheap.  

At a minimum there should be a $100 to $1000 fine for each account potentially hacked with the funds put into escrow for reparations and whatever is left over goes into general fund to research and deploy improved security measures by businesses.  

The criminally negligent deployment of smart credit cards in the US [note world wide for over a decade] should make clear the utter disregard that business has for customer privacy and protection.

Automatic encryption of all email and "data at rest" on computers and email servers should be required including mobile devices.  The Government interest in access to my data should be secondary to this capability.  
    It's a free email service. How much security are you expecting for free, exactly?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    gprovida said:
    So Yahoo should pay $50,000,000,000 to $500,000,000,000 for this breach? Not even Apple could come up with the funds on the upper end of that range. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My only reason for a Yahoo account is to use Flickr.  I logged in and changed my password using my Keychain's suggestion (or what ever suggests these things in OS X ... oops I mean macOS).  There was an option to see any 'activity' on the account and the only one in several years was the change of password a few seconds earlier.  I wonder if this 'activity' check would have shown anything related to a hack?  I doubt it since the a hacker would have known the genuine prior password so I wasn't all that comforted.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    digitalclips said:
     I doubt it since the a hacker would have known the genuine prior password so I wasn't all that comforted.
    I seriously doubt the hacker can access the password except by brute force. Everyone hashes passwords most with salt. They are not in clear text. Some of the password hints could be rather obvious though. Probably take like forever to brute force 500 million accounts, but even without the passwords, there is still a lot of value to the dark web with all the other personal information. Of course you could also run a script against the 100 most common passwords and pick up a substantial number of accounts.
    edited September 2016