The Three Stooges at the Apple Store.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Those guys at the Apple store have their head soooo far up their ass, I can't believe they actually sell computers. On August 19th, I ordered a Dual 867/SuperDrive/Radeon9000 BTO G4, with (2) 17" studio displays, iSub, ProSpeakers, and the DVI adapter. The total was $4340 (with edu discount). I get a call late monday from my CC company, letting me know an "unsual" volume of charges was made by Apple Computer on Friday..."How much?, I ask "$5640", they say. I decide to call Tuesday and straighten it out. I call Apple (and am on hold 37 minutes) and run them over the coals for the $1300 overcharge. "That is a mistake", is their response. "No shit." is mine. They'll remove the extra charges within 24 hrs, and they're "Really Sorry". When I wake up Wed, there's a box LEFT on my doorstep with the iSub and speakers. The Apple packing slip says the $150 DVI adapter should be with it, but it isn't. I call Apple again (23 minutes this time, WOHOO!) I ask why the package was left, and no sig was required. They inform me that it "hadn't shipped." I check the Apple site while I'm on the phone, and sure enough, the items hadn't shipped. They give me some mumbo-jumbo about drop shipping from tennessee, and the computer updates to the website not working. Well, they have no way of knowing if the DVI adapter should have been in the box or in another, 'cause they didn't show any of it shipping yet. Thursday, tracking numbers start appearing on the Apple store website. My CC company tells me that Apple has issued "no credits". Seeing as it's been more than 24 hours, I call Apple. "We promise in 8 hours from now it will show up, we'll turn this over to billing immediately." They tell me at this point one 17" HAS already shipped, and it has the DVI adapter with it. Hmmmm. At this point, I'm no longer at home (I had to hold 42 minutes this time) and I can't double check. Ok, I'll check when I get home from the office (which ends up being 4am). Here's what I see: The 17" LCD, speakers, iSub, and DVI adapter all have the SAME TRACKING NUMBER. I check FedEx's website, and it says that

I signed for the packages

Screw that, I didn't sign anything, it was left on my doorstep. I call FedEx and <TEAR> into them. They said no sig was required, so the package was left. No explanation for why the website says I signed for it. (Actually they might have attempted to explain towards the end of the conversation, after I gave them my address and tracking info and told them to get an indian tracker if that's what they needed to do to find my $1200 in missing merch.) Apple isn't open at this point. I wake up in time to call apple the MINUTE they open. (Hold time, 24 minutes) Before Apple gets on the line, a FedEz guy shows up at my door with the display. No adapter. Apple says the tracking numbers got jacked up. I already figured that out by looking at the FedEx info. Apple issued duplicate tracking numbers on their website, when the display had it's own number all along. I figure out at this point I'll wait til the CPU gets here (Wed) before I call Apple (and be put on hold for 1/2 hour or longer). If all the bits & pieces haven't showed up by then, then I'll get G.W. to declare Apple an "evildoer" and get Apple on the "Axis of Evil" list, right below M$.

Idiots. They are all idiots. This is customer dis-service. Almost 2 hours on hold, to point out THEIR screwups. Love the machine, hate the company. Steve-O are you lurking out there? Looking for leaked pics of your latest iDevice? I've got a tip: PEOPLE THAT SPEND OVER $4K ON A COMPUTER EXPECT TO GET MUCH BETTER SERVICE. Maybe you could move the 10 people you have scouring the internet for leaks over to the Customer service department, it might knock those hold times down a whopping 10 minutes.

I'm done.....for now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Hate to say it but it sounds like a typical apple customer service screw up. I've had many similar situations.

At least they didn't use the old, "We have no record of your call in our database" routine
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I spent 2600$ and I got great customer service and still do if I do call them. You have to expect mess ups like this to happen some times. You just hope it doesn't happen to you and when it does it sucks but that doesn't mean it will happen again. That stuff happens some times.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by BrianMacOS:

<strong>I spent 2600$ and I got great customer service and still do if I do call them. You have to expect mess ups like this to happen some times. You just hope it doesn't happen to you and when it does it sucks but that doesn't mean it will happen again. That stuff happens some times.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes but when something does go wrong it always seems as if they do a horrendous job at fixing it. it just gets worse and worse. very rarely does it seem anything is ever fixed right away
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

yes but when something does go wrong it always seems as if they do a horrendous job at fixing it. it just gets worse and worse. very rarely does it seem anything is ever fixed right away</strong><hr></blockquote>

Umm not really a lot of stuff get's done right the first time, rarely do people say how good of a job you get. Those one or two people every so often that have had a bad experience seem to stand out more in our heads then the positive things for some reason.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Simplest solution:

Buy your Mac hardware at a reseller, over the desk.

Lower prices and no hassle guaranteed.

G-News
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ok, you ordered 5 different things online all at the same time.

that was just an accident waiting to happen...

I agree about the hold times though...pretty crappy....
  • Reply 7 of 9
    LOL Gumby. Damn me for ordering so many items at once. Next time I'll order each component seperately over a few weeks time. This will make it easy for Apple to get it right. I guess I just expected too much (Like a CPU that doesn't sound like the Spruce Goose taxiiing for takeoff)

• Reply 8 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]At least they didn't use the old, "We have no record of your call in our database" routine<hr></blockquote>

Tell me about it. I'm not going into my PowerBook story again but it's easy to say that when Apple actually HAS your machine and can't find any indication of your phone calls, you get pretty upset.

[quote]yes but when something does go wrong it always seems as if they do a horrendous job at fixing it. it just gets worse and worse. very rarely does it seem anything is ever fixed right away<hr></blockquote>

Again, right on the money. When Apple realized they had a problem, they tried to cover it up. Every time I called, the story changed. Apple management didn't want to talk to me at all and it took a senior VP of Apple who my Dad knew through work to actually get my machine back after nearly 5 months of hell with tech support. Not only that, but I had an extended AppleCare warranty (which every time I call to get something fixed is another problem), and then they wanted me to PAY for the repairs!

Hopefully your problems get fixed since you're not dealing with the same fools I was.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    And here I thought quality was supposed to justify Apple's prices? 5 MONTHS!!! If anyone kept my machine for 5 MONTHS, what with the way computers depreciate, I'd expect a 40% refund cheque in the box with my long delayed, repaired, machine! That or a new machine.

Inexcusable, and far more indicative of Apple than the apologists would have people believe.

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>