Power Mac 4 concerns

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As I finalize my decision to switch from 6 years of Dells to Power Mac G4 (dual 1GHz), several lingering questions remain and appreciate any input. First...the Mac will be used extensively for business applications; Internet including downloading files/videos/etc.; and CD burns for music and backup.

Now...my questions....will the noise be too high to enjoy music which I often play as background?

Is it possible to place a faster CD-RW in the open bay (such as the Yamaha CD-RW EIDE (16X10x40X)?

Is the Apple SuperDrive the best since it is very slow in CD burning and limited use for DVD-R?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    While I can't comment on the noise of the new Mirrored Drive Door G4s, I can tell you that my dual 1 GHz Quicksilver from Febuary is a bit loud. It's nothing that bothers me too much though, and certainly the noise is filtered out when I play my music. You might wanna check current hardware to see what owners are saying about the new models.

The open bay is a full size 5.25" drive bay, so yes you can place a fast CD-RW in there. I would recommend getting a Lite-On IDE burner, they are among the cheapest, but also among the best (kinda ironic huh?).

The SuperDrive is the "jack of all trades, master of none" drive. The CD burning speeds and CD/DVD write speeds are going to be slower than non-DVD-RW drives. This is the penalty you must pay in order to have DVD-burning capabilities.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>While I can't comment on the noise of the new Mirrored Drive Door G4s, I can tell you that my dual 1 GHz Quicksilver from Febuary is a bit loud. It's nothing that bothers me too much though, and certainly the noise is filtered out when I play my music. You might wanna check current hardware to see what owners are saying about the new models.

The open bay is a full size 5.25" drive bay, so yes you can place a fast CD-RW in there. I would recommend getting a Lite-On IDE burner, they are among the cheapest, but also among the best (kinda ironic huh?).

The SuperDrive is the "jack of all trades, master of none" drive. The CD burning speeds and CD/DVD write speeds are going to be slower than non-DVD-RW drives. This is the penalty you must pay in order to have DVD-burning capabilities.</strong><hr></blockquote>

uh.. I would consider it the master at DVD burning considering its the only choice! (besides crappy DVD+RW)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i remember seeing on macnn (though i can't seem to find the article not) that the bay is is a shortened version that apple uses and not all drives will fit.....i'd double check that, but i remember seeing something like that on macnn....though i'd check (maybe at an apple store if possible) in person to make sure
  • Reply 4 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I suggest some external speakers. I find it hard to listen to music through the internal speaker, mainly because I want to keep the machine itself so far away because it's so loud (last year's dual 800).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>i remember seeing on macnn (though i can't seem to find the article not) that the bay is is a shortened version that apple uses and not all drives will fit.....i'd double check that, but i remember seeing something like that on macnn....though i'd check (maybe at an apple store if possible) in person to make sure</strong><hr></blockquote>

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO...FOUND THE ARTICLE AS SHOWN BELOW:

New Power Mac users struggle to fit drives

Friday, August 23, 2002 @ 6:10pm

Although a key selling-point of Apple's latest Power Mac G4 is its ability to house two optical drives, some owners are already reporting shortfalls. The new Power Mac case layout is reportedly able to house optical drives no larger than its OEM offerings. This shortcoming presents itself when users attempt to install third-party CD or DVD drives -- which can have trays up to 20% larger than Apple's standard drives. MacNN reader Jim Richter explains that he attempted to install a Pioneer DVR-A03 (DVD-RW) drive from his "Sawtooth" Power Mac in his new dual-867MHz unit. Mr. Richter was unable to fit the drive into the case, even with the drive doors removed. Apple Tech support has been unable to offer assistance to users with this problem.