HDD swap and first OS reinstall on a Mac, please advice.

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hello guys, here my situation, hope someone can throw some light:

My notebook: 
MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010),

The problem: My HDD is dying, I can't access to my Machintosh HD partition anymore and I can't reinstall OS because I have SMART errors. Before my format and reinstall attempt, my computer was loading slowly, random errors, etc. So I definetly think the HDD is close to dead. My plan is to replace my HDD for a blank SSD, I have performed this task several times on Win computers but for MAC I am wondering how I will load the OS again.

Questions:

• I am able to do a bootable USB wthrough the recovery partition tools? (I still have access to the recovery partition). Unofrtunately I don't have more Macs available to create the bootable USB through itunes. But on the other hand, I also have all the original packaging somewhere, so If there is a CD I can use, I definetly can get it.

• This computer have the function to get the recovery tools through internet if I swap to a blank HDD? (Option-Command-R) I am not sure I am understanding correctly that feature.

• Do you believe I will see some advantage with the SSD instead of a HDD? I hope to replace my computer soon, so I was thinking to choose an inexpensive one, something like this PNY: https://www.pny.com/ssd-CS1311 which have some reviews on MacBooks and don't cost too much more than a Toshiba 500GB HDD. I believe my laptop don't have SATA III but this HD should be compatible right? It says: SATA-III 6Gb/s; backwards compatible with SATA-II 3Gb/s. My second option is the SanDisk SSD Plus.

I really appreciate your help, please don't hesitate to share any advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    MRISX said:
    Hello guys, here my situation, hope someone can throw some light:

My notebook: 
    MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010),

The problem: My HDD is dying, I can't access to my Machintosh HD partition anymore and I can't reinstall OS because I have SMART errors. Before my format and reinstall attempt, my computer was loading slowly, random errors, etc. So I definetly think the HDD is close to dead. My plan is to replace my HDD for a blank SSD, I have performed this task several times on Win computers but for MAC I am wondering how I will load the OS again.

Questions:

• I am able to do a bootable USB wthrough the recovery partition tools? (I still have access to the recovery partition). Unofrtunately I don't have more Macs available to create the bootable USB through itunes. But on the other hand, I also have all the original packaging somewhere, so If there is a CD I can use, I definetly can get it.

• This computer have the function to get the recovery tools through internet if I swap to a blank HDD? (Option-Command-R) I am not sure I am understanding correctly that feature.

• Do you believe I will see some advantage with the SSD instead of a HDD? I hope to replace my computer soon, so I was thinking to choose an inexpensive one, something like this PNY: https://www.pny.com/ssd-CS1311 which have some reviews on MacBooks and don't cost too much more than a Toshiba 500GB HDD. I believe my laptop don't have SATA III but this HD should be compatible right? It says: SATA-III 6Gb/s; backwards compatible with SATA-II 3Gb/s. My second option is the SanDisk SSD Plus.

I really appreciate your help, please don't hesitate to share any advice.

Thanks!
    If your hard drive completely breaks leaving you without a bootable install option, the internet recovery mode (command-alt-R) will reinstate the recovery options directly from Apple and put them on a new drive allowing you to then install an OS.

You will see an advantage to an SSD. It makes no noise, is lighter and doesn't break mechanically like a hard drive and is much faster. SSDs are especially good with small file writes. Mechanical drives jump all over the place writing small files but SSDs don't have moving parts. It makes everything very responsive like web pages loading very quickly, apps opening as soon as you click them, saving and loading documents is quicker and fewer beachballs. You can also feel safer just shutting the lid of a laptop like you would put an iPhone on standby. You don't have to shut it down when transporting it.

If you plan to replace the machine, a cheaper SSD is a good idea. The newer Macs come with them and you won't be able to install the one you bought. It improves the resale value of the old laptop though. The price of that PNY one looks good. Samsung make good SSDs but any of them would be ok:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-750-EVO-2-5-Inch-MZ-750500BW
    https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-480GB-2-5-Inch-SDSSDA-480G-G25-Version/dp/B018X8LB2G
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MRISXMRISX Posts: 2member
    Thanks Marvin,  I used the Internet recover and I am a happy camper now.  It is much more responsive with the SSD.  Thanks for the encouragement. 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I have a mid 2009 MBP and putting in a budget SSD (Micron M500), more RAM, and a new battery totally revitalized mine. It feels like a new computer.