Apple issues second developer beta of iOS 10.1 with support for iPhone 7 Plus Portrait photos

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Tuesday supplied registered developers with a second pre-release beta of iOS 10.1, a forthcoming update that will introduce the new bokeh Portrait photo mode for owners of the newly released dual-camera iPhone 7 Plus.









The release comes less than two weeks after iOS 10.1 beta 1 was issued to developers. Beta 2 is identified as build 14B67.



Registered devices can be updated over the air via Software Update in Settings, or manually with iTunes on a connected Mac or PC. As usual, Apple has warned that the update should only be installed on devices intended for testing.



Apple announced Portrait mode for the iPhone 7 Plus when the handset was unveiled earlier this month. But the new feature will only be unlocked for the public after iOS 10.1 is finalized.





Via TechCrunch.




When shooting photos in "Portrait" mode, users must lock onto their subject to separate it from the background. This simulates what is known as a "bokeh" effect in photography.



Instructions at the bottom of the screen inform the user whether or not there is enough light in their shot, and also whether they are too close or too far from the subject. Photos captured in this mode are labeled with "Depth Effect."

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    I hope they fix the "Music" app. The new one included in iOS 10 stinks (to put it mildly). Who is in charge of the Music/iTunes interface? They should be fired. It just keeps getting worse and worse. Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave.

    They did away with the history list, and now have an unintuitive up next list. I (and everyone else I talk to) cannot figure out how to add something to the up next list. Even a tech at the Apple store said he doesn't know how. I did figure out how to add whole albums, but not individual songs.

    Another problem with the play next list is you cannot delete songs from the list. You can go through the process of deleting the songs, and it will appear as if you've deleted the songs, but when it come time to play your music and advance through the list, you'll be annoyed to find out that all the songs you deleted are still in the list.

    These are just a few of the issues, I could go on...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,195member
    safi said:
    mackymoto said:
    I hope they fix the "Music" app. The new one included in iOS 10 stinks (to put it mildly). Who is in charge of the Music/iTunes interface? They should be fired. It just keeps getting worse and worse. Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave.

    They did away with the history list, and now have an unintuitive up next list. I (and everyone else I talk to) cannot figure out how to add something to the up next list. Even a tech at the Apple store said he doesn't know how. I did figure out how to add whole albums, but not individual songs.

    Another problem with the play next list is you cannot delete songs from the list. You can go through the process of deleting the songs, and it will appear as if you've deleted the songs, but when it come time to play your music and advance through the list, you'll be annoyed to find out that all the songs you deleted are still in the list.

    These are just a few of the issues, I could go on...
    The music app is an utter piece of crap. The original iPhone app had such a clean design! 
    It had a "clean" design cause it had zero features and was literally a list of your music. The new Music app is more than fine, and a big improvement over the one in iOS9. What a bunch of whiners.
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 7
    slurpy said:
    It had a "clean" design cause it had zero features and was literally a list of your music. The new Music app is more than fine, and a big improvement over the one in iOS9. What a bunch of whiners.
    Okay, prove you're not just a troll and explain in what ways exactly the Music app in iOS 10 is better than iOS 9.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I thought iOS9's Music App was a step backward and hated it... but then I've gotten used to the interface.... now in iOS10, since I am already used to the "simpler interface"... it really isn't all that bad... My typical usage of the Music App is to go to 'Shuffle Music"... now it takes two clicks (inside of Music App: click on 'Songs', then click on 'Shuffle'). Works for me... I do like (just like in the new Photos App) the concept of being able to swipe upward and get to more 'things once you clicked on the songs you are playing currently.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 289member
    safi said:
    mackymoto said:
    I hope they fix the "Music" app. The new one included in iOS 10 stinks (to put it mildly). Who is in charge of the Music/iTunes interface? They should be fired. It just keeps getting worse and worse. Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave.

    They did away with the history list, and now have an unintuitive up next list. I (and everyone else I talk to) cannot figure out how to add something to the up next list. Even a tech at the Apple store said he doesn't know how. I did figure out how to add whole albums, but not individual songs.

    Another problem with the play next list is you cannot delete songs from the list. You can go through the process of deleting the songs, and it will appear as if you've deleted the songs, but when it come time to play your music and advance through the list, you'll be annoyed to find out that all the songs you deleted are still in the list.

    These are just a few of the issues, I could go on...
    The music app is an utter piece of crap. The original iPhone app had such a clean design! 
    I agree that the iOS Music app GUI has become increasingly less user-friendly with each iOS update, especially major updates. It is one of the reasons I now delay installing updates, including the current update from 9 to 10. The original GUI was clean, intuitive, and a pleasure to use. Now it's just a mess and annoying.

    Defenders argue that now there are a lot more bells and whistles so the interface can't be as simple as it used to be. Point taken, but that is no excuse for bad interface design. I wish people would stop making excuses for mediocrity and lowering the bar.

    And why does AI continue to misrepresent the new Portrait mode feature by referring to it as "bokeh", which it is not?
    The Portrait mode simulates depth of field, but it is not bokeh.
    http://digital-photography-school.com/understanding-depth-field-beginners/
    There was a significant discussion about this in another thread about the Portrait mode. I though the folks at AI would learn something from that, but obviously I was wrong. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mackymoto said:
    I (and everyone else I talk to) cannot figure out how to add something to the up next list. Even a tech at the Apple store said he doesn't know how.
    I take it "Play Next" is not what you're looking for?
Sign In or Register to comment.