Question HDD swap and first OS reinstall on a Mac, please advice.

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hello guys, here my situation, hope someone can throw some light:

My notebook: MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010),

The problem: My HDD is dying, I can't access to my Machintosh HD partition anymore and I can't reinstall OS because I have SMART errors. Before my format and reinstall attempt, my computer was loading slowly, random errors, etc. So I definetly think the HDD is close to dead. My plan is to replace my HDD for a blank SSD, I have performed this task several times on Win computers but for MAC I am wondering how I will load the OS again.

Questions:
I am able to do a bootable USB wthrough the recovery partition tools? (I still have access to the recovery partition). Unofrtunately I don't have more Macs available to create the bootable USB through itunes. But on the other hand, I also have all the original packaging somewhere, so If there is a CD I can use, I definetly can get it.

This computer have the function to get the recovery tools through internet if I swap to a blank HDD? (Option-Command-R) I am not sure I am understanding correctly that feature.

Do you believe I will see some advantage with the SSD instead of a HDD? I hope to replace my computer soon, so I was thinking to choose an inexpensive one, something like this PNY:https://www.pny.com/ssd-CS1311 which have some reviews on MacBooks and don't cost too much more than a Toshiba 500GB HDD. I believe my laptop don't have SATA III but this HD should be compatible right? It says: SATA-III 6Gb/s; backwards compatible with SATA-II 3Gb/s. My second option is the SanDisk SSD Plus.

I really appreciate your help, please don't hesitate to share any advice.

Thanks!