Pirates Of Silcon Valley

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today was the first time I saw 'Pirates Of Silcon Valley', If this has been talked about before please forgive me. I really enjoyed the movie but how close is this movie to the real story??? and what do you think of this movie?

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: MacMatt ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    what's Vallery ?

it's Valley. and no, I haven't seen the movie.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

[QB]what's Vallery ?

QB]<hr></blockquote>

Silicon Vallery must be a woman with breast implants. I guess the pirates were trying to pinch them.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

Silicon Vallery must be a woman with breast implants. I guess the pirates were trying to pinch them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ah !

that thought had crossed my mind...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I have yet to find that movie at any local video stores or rental places around my area. I wanna see that movie bad and add it to my collection of computer related movies.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    There are some of Woz' thoughts on the subject right about here: <a href="http://www.woz.org/letters/pirates/"; target="_blank">http://www.woz.org/letters/pirates/</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Reportedly Jobs invited Noah Wylie to his house to watch it. Wylie subsequently impersonated Jobs at a MacWorld keynote, so he (Jobs) must have been tickled by his performance at least. I don't think Jobs has many illusions about what kind of guy he is.

As for the story as a whole, it is broadly accurate, in a pat, TV-movie kind of way.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    I like Pirates. I've seen many better movies, but they did a good job with it. Everything looked real, and the actors looked just like their real life counterparts.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    They did a great job with Steve Balmer.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Back when the movie originally aired, I sent Woz an email, asking him some questions about the movie. Here is his reply:

[quote]Close to the truth in terms of key personalities and issues and conflicts

that were part of the evolution of our industry.

Actual incidents could never be portrayed very close to perfectly. That

means sets or people present or timing.

The significance of what was shown is debatable. I believe it's very good

though.

-- Woz &lt;mailto:[email protected]&gt; &lt;http://woz.org&gt;<hr></blockquote>;
  • Reply 10 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I loved it, it was a TNT original movie. I taped on VHS but have since forgotten what that was and look for it on DVD. Anytime I ask a PC user about Apple/M$ history and stealing Apple's UI, I ask if they saw the movie as it's the holy grail.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    s2s2 Posts: 11member
    I've got a script for the film from my father in-law. He's a senior set dresser in the feature film union in Toronto, they were considering shooting 'Pirates' there (but didn't).

I saw it on the toob a year or so after reading the script, kept wanting to give the young Billy Gates character a damn comb