Apple opens up iTunes donations for Hurricane Matthew relief

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Monday began taking iTunes donations towards the relief of Hurricane Matthew, which recently tore through a number of Caribbean countries, as well as several U.S. states including Florida and the Carolinas -- killing hundreds, and leaving many more homeless or otherwise in need of aid.

The company is accepting donations in $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 increments, giving the whole of the money to its usual charity partner for disasters, the American Red Cross. Apple warns that people can't use existing iTunes credit to make a donation, and that people looking to write the money off on taxes are responsible for documentation.

Links to the donation page are currently visible from Apple.com, the iTunes Store, and the App Store.

Apple regularly sets up iTunes donations for well-publicized disasters. Some other recent examples include flooding in Louisiana, and the Fort McMurray forest fires in Alberta, Canada. In the latter case, Apple partnered with the Canadian Red Cross.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 10
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Why doesn't Apple make a big donation ? 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Clinton foundation should have tons of money left over from the last hurricane.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    dougd said:
    every thread. sigh. ok: 1) maybe they will, who knows they have in the past. 2) why dont you make a donation? 3) why are you worried about it? are you "concerned" apple isn't doing its part?
    singularity
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    dougd said:
    every thread. sigh. ok: 1) maybe they will, who knows they have in the past. 2) why dont you make a donation? 3) why are you worried about it? are you "concerned" apple isn't doing its part?

I wish Apple would not go through the Red Cross. Why can't it just build up its own funds from these donations and then donate on behalf of Apple users, maybe even kick on some itself? 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    dougd said:
    I don't care to
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dougd said:
    dougd said:
    I don't care to
    so you're just here to complain about how other people spend their money, got it. keep up the good work!
    watto_cobrasingularityjony0
  • Reply 8 of 10

macxpress said:
    dougd said:

I wish Apple would not go through the Red Cross. Why can't it just build up its own funds from these donations and then donate on behalf of Apple users, maybe even kick on some itself? 
    think about what that would entail. the overhead of having to manage a fund, then find ways to administer the funds, figure out who you're going to give the funds to, vet the recipients of the funds, deal with fraudulent recipients, etc etc...it'd become a job. meanwhile, there's already a well known organization that performs this same job. seems like a no brainer to allow that org to solicit donations at no charge and let your users decide whether the org is worthy of their donations. 

i realize red cross has its criticisms. but what other org can a person on the other half of the country or globe donate to instead? they have to have a good reputation and it has to be easy. 
    edited October 2016 watto_cobrasingularity
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Apple donates plenty I'm sure.

I just checked out the Samscum website. They don't have anything at all set up for the victims of our latest national tragedy. How they get any red-blooded American's devotion is beyond me. 

Maybe Apple should set up a donation page for the victims Samscum's exploding phones.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

macxpress said:
    dougd said:

think about what that would entail. the overhead of having to manage a fund, then find ways to administer the funds, figure out who you're going to give the funds to, vet the recipients of the funds, deal with fraudulent recipients, etc etc...it'd become a job. meanwhile, there's already a well known organization that performs this same job. seems like a no brainer to allow that org to solicit donations at no charge and let your users decide whether the org is worthy of their donations. 

i realize red cross has its criticisms. but what other org can a person on the other half of the country or globe donate to instead? they have to have a good reputation and it has to be easy. 
    HAHAHAHA!