Apple to debut new Macs at Oct. 27 event, report says

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
A report on Tuesday puts a date to rumors regarding an impending Mac hardware refresh, saying Apple will announce all new computer models at an Oct. 27 media event.

MacBook Pro render. | Source: Martin Hajek

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, Re/code reports the company intends to refresh its Mac computer lineup at an as-yet-unannounced special event on Oct. 27. The report fails to mention specific models set for debut, but recent rumors point to the release of three laptops, including a revamped MacBook Pro.

On Monday, a report citing Chinese supply chain sources said Apple would take the wraps off 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pro models and a new 13-inch MacBook Air iteration by the end of October. Those claims were reiterated in a separate report earlier today.

It's not clear what kind of upgrades the 13-inch Air might get, but the new Pros are widely rumored to be getting an OLED "Control Strip," with context-sensitive commands. Also rumored for the MacBook Pro is the addition of a Touch ID sensor, which might not only simplify security but enable Apple Pay without a separate device for authentication.

If Re/code's sources are correct, Apple's forthcoming Mac hardware release will arrive just in time for the lucrative holiday shopping season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    Yes! And none too soon... Bring it Apple!
    Solimagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 76
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Do you hear the people sing?
    wreighvenmagman1979
  • Reply 3 of 76
    It had better not just be laptops; their desktop Macs are also in dire need of a refresh. I'm itching to replace my 2010 Mac Mini, either with a new Mac Mini or an iMac.
    edited October 2016 longpathdysamoriaboredumbmrboba1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 76
    My body is ready, but my wallet is not!
    nolamacguyjahajaGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 76
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    It is the light before dawn.

In the trench young fanboys nervously tussle as they are formed into lines by wizened MacHeads riding 2011 iMacs. The fanboys nervously finger their credit cards, their minds turning over the stories told last night by their machead manager of the days when MacBook Pros were cutting edge and the laptop against which all other laptops were measured. They are not sure they should believe someone with grey streaks in his hair. What would they know about the world? But there is a nervous hope.

A French horn quietly lows in the distance, ta dah....ta dah...a tremble moves through the lines like a slow ripple on a quiet pond. Tim Cook slowly emerges from the fog behind the assembled troops. He is astride an i7 rMBP, the seat looking slightly uncomfortable as it has been some time since Cook took a macbook for a spin. With new focus, he realises his mind has been diverted to other, inconsequential matters for too long.

Cook rallies with a speech to rival that in Shakespeare's Henry V.  The fanboys check their iphones' Apple Pay button with new resolve and look ahead intently.

The night is getting lighter.

To be continued....
    edited October 2016 nolamacguyroundaboutnowjahajaGeorgeBMacsteveaubadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.
    edited October 2016 longpathmacxpressdysamoriatallest skilbaconstangappledapplemelodyof1974mrboba1
  • Reply 7 of 76
    New Skylake processors, Polaris GPU's, new instruction sets & DDR4-2133 RAM. The world awaits anxiously.
    baconstangcanukstorm
  • Reply 8 of 76
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I liked MagSafe but USB-C can transfer data and charge and power a display all at the same time. 
  • Reply 9 of 76
    I surely hope the Mac Pro sees an update at this event. My boss thought I was making it up when I mentioned that currently shipping Mac Pro cylinders are still the 2013 model, with no major upgrade in 3 years.
    dysamoriabaconstangjibberj
  • Reply 10 of 76
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Interesting, if true. Invites should be going out very soon.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    ireland said:
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.
    Yes...in a school its been an absolute life saver and everyone always asks me why other companies don't do this. I'm sure they'll have some stupid BS reason why we don't need it anymore. Something like well it has 15 hrs of battery so you shouldn't need to charge it during the day. 
    dysamoriairelandbaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 76
    A magsafe style USB-c connector seems like something Apple could do. IT's a shame about the Mac Pro-- it seems to me that it was a good design to make lower cost versions of and to refresh periodically without a lot of effort and cost. I expected them to expand the line up and down the pricepoints. I guess the initial sales were so terrible that Apple lost interest in it. (And I think the mac mini is on the way out too-- it was compelling to get switchers from windows, but hasn't seemingly found a niche lately.)
  • Reply 13 of 76
    And I think the mac mini is on the way out too-- it was compelling to get switchers from windows, but hasn't seemingly found a niche lately.)
    Naah, the more likely issue (sales-wise) is that, like the iPad 2, they just keep going, and going.  Mine has been good for half a decade in mission- and timing-critical applications. 
  • Reply 14 of 76
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    A magsafe style USB-c connector seems like something Apple could do. 
    No way. Accidentally disconnecting power on a machine with a battery is not problematic. Accidentally disconnecting a data connection can be catastrophic to your data and app stability.
    baconstangmrboba1
  • Reply 15 of 76
    Doodpants said:
    It had better not just be laptops; their desktop Macs are also in dire need of a refresh. I'm itching to replace my 2010 Mac Mini, either with a new Mac Mini or an iMac.
    The iMacs aren't exactly ancient; the 27" are on Skylake and the 21.5" are on Broadwell, mostly because Intel didn't have the right Skylake SKU's ready when they released them. They're some of the newest Macs in the lineup.
    baconstang
  • Reply 16 of 76
    There won't be Mac Pro.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    dysamoria said:
    No way. Accidentally disconnecting power on a machine with a battery is not problematic. Accidentally disconnecting a data connection can be catastrophic to your data and app stability.
    Unless its a charging only port. 
    jahaja
  • Reply 18 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.
    Useful, yes, but less needed with a USB-C connector when compared to Apple's pre-MagSafe power connectors.

Also, if we're talking about USB-C, a universal port interface, there's no reason not to expect multiple 3rd-parties creating offering a simple solution. This will also have the added benefit of allowing all notebooks, regardless of the vendor, the option of a magnetic power cable.
    jahaja
  • Reply 19 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    macxpress said:
    dysamoria said:
    Apple would never do that. They wouldn't gimp one of the USBc ports as it'd only cause user confusion. I'd go as far as to suggest that if it does use USBc for charging that any of the four will charge the machine.
    edited October 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 20 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    macxpress said:
    dysamoria said:
    Apple would never do that. They wouldn't gimp one of the USBc ports as it'd only cause user confusion. I'd go as far as to suggest that if it does use USBc for charging that any of the four will charge the machine.
    I sure hope so.
    baconstang