Rumors of Apple team-up with e-ink keyboard maker appear to spring from single, questionable source

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2016
Rumors have been flying that Apple is considering teaming up with a company building customizable keyboards with individual e-ink keys, but the claims, including alleged "confirmations," appear to spring from a single report that may be little more than self-promotion of an upcoming product.

On Oct. 12, AppleInsider was informed that Sonder, a company attached to the Foxconn accelerator program, had demonstrated a keyboard with individual keys composed of small e-ink displays. This would allow for users to customize the keyboard with associated graphical adornments displayed on each key.

PSA: Keyboard developed by a startup attached to Foxconn's accelerator program. Not an Apple prototype. https://t.co/qYmSb8HELD

-- Mikey Campbell (@mikeycampbell81)

A lengthy Reddit thread ensued from the source that tipped us, with much confusion by readers about what the keyboard demonstrated represented, or if it was an Apple product. After investigation, AppleInsider determined that it was a pre-production prototype of an upcoming stand-alone cross-platform keyboard, and not an Apple prototype -- and this is borne out by the source's own remarks on the matter in the thread, and Sonder's own remarks on the matter.

On Wednesday The Wall Street Journal reported on the company's keyboard, and a rumored presentation of the technology to Apple CEO Tim Cook while he was touring China recently. The Journal cites other media outlets' coverage on the same Reddit thread as "confirmation" that the product is an Apple prototype, and that the company is being examined for a potential buyout, potentially to debut in MacBooks as soon as 2018.

However, on Monday Sonder denied that the company has met with Cook, but would "would very like the opportunity[sic]" to do so.

The data on Reddit presented by the original poster about the presentation of the keyboard, as well as some claims by the original poster that the company was going to be purchased by Apple, were deleted a few days after the original post.

Apple and customizable keyboards

Officially, Apple has no comment on the report, nor does Foxconn. However, on Oct. 12, AppleInsider spoke with sources on the matter inside Apple who had no idea who Sonder was, or what they were offering.

A technology similar to what Sonder is shipping in its own product will likely come to pass in an Apple device, has already been executed once in the very expensive Optimus keyboard -- and will likely be designed and developed by Apple.

There is no tangible evidence that the product originally "leaked" in the Reddit thread is anything more than an effort to market the upcoming keyboard by Sonder, and convince others that the company will be acquired by Apple, thereby generating more press for the product launch.

The marketing effort appears to have worked. Besides just Journal's coverage, since we were tipped by the "Foxconn Insider," the Sonder Design Twitter feed has grown by more than 1,000 followers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Are they real OLED or E-ink like many other sites are reporting?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    This would be nice for Apple as they could just program the default layout for different countries (languages) and not have to produce 50 different keyboard combinations. This isn't really anything new as far as programming a key. These are already out there. Cool stuff though. 
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 15
    So Apple's going to re-design Macs in 2016 and then again in 2018? I doubt it. Unless this is for the iPad Pro?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    evilution said:
    Are they real OLED or E-ink like many other sites are reporting?
    It's e-ink. http://petapixel.com/2015/06/11/sonder-keyboard-uses-e-ink-to-put-shortcuts-icons-at-your-fingertips/

Some comments I read on the story implied that Apple could actually save money by going with e-ink. There would be no more need for numerous different language-specific keyboards. One SKU to stock.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Wherever the rumor comes from, it's common sense that keyboards do this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This would be badass if they could get the illumination right and give it Apple-like design. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    It's a bit ugly with the e-ink elements recessed from the top of the key. That would need to be "fixed" to match an Apple esthetic.
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 15
    This whole article is incorrect, it's E Ink, not OLED. I literally just created a profile to point out the terrible journalism here.

Did you even email the two journalists?

I emailed author at Guardian, she said she validated the source from several sources from multiple companies excluding Sonder.  It's the Guardian, not some rag where they post rumors.

I emailed the WSJ and the author hasn't responded but the lead editor said they require three levels of verification, so like, email from company email, photo of ID and a phone call to verrify sources; and they need several sources for a story.

The fact you contacted one person at Apple, a company of thousands and they had no idea stupid, besides; Apple will never comment on R&D.

The startup issued a statement saying the meeting never happened on that day; your point is totally contradicted by their statements.

jasenj1
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    JackLZ said:
    This whole article is incorrect, it's E Ink, not OLED. I literally just created a profile to point out the terrible journalism here.

Did you even email the two journalists?

I emailed author at Guardian, she said she validated the source from several sources from multiple companies excluding Sonder.  It's the Guardian, not some rag where they post rumors.

I emailed the WSJ and the author hasn't responded but the lead editor said they require three levels of verification, so like, email from company email, photo of ID and a phone call to verrify sources; and they need several sources for a story.

The fact you contacted one person at Apple, a company of thousands and they had no idea stupid, besides; Apple will never comment on R&D.

The startup issued a statement saying the meeting never happened on that day; your point is totally contradicted by their statements.

We fixed the e-ink thing even before you left this post. My error, apologies. Did you even read this article, though? We KNOW that Sonder's own comments contradict what the Guardian and the WSJ claimed. FTA: "However, on Monday Sonder denied that the company has met with Cook, but would "would very like the opportunity[sic]" to do so." We've been on this story before the Guardian and the WSJ picked it up. Neither did a very good job.
    edited October 2016 fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    We fixed the e-ink thing even before you left this post. 
    On Oct. 12, AppleInsider was informed that Sonder, a company attached to the Foxconn accelerator program, had demonstrated a keyboard with individual keys composed of small OLED displays.
    As of 11:147 EDT. Sorry, not fixed. The article on the front page is fixed, but the copy of it in the forums is not.

P.S. I find myself more and more just clicking the "comments" link rather than reading the article. The whole article is at the top of the forum thread, and I want to see what people have to say and possibly participate in the conversation. The article link only adds another click to my life.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Its as fixed as it can be. There's no way for editorial staff to edit titles in the forums, and the vast majority of our traffic comes from the homepage.
    edited October 2016 fastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 15
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    So Apple's going to re-design Macs in 2016 and then again in 2018? I doubt it. Unless this is for the iPad Pro?
    Or for a new "Mac" line-up that will be running Apple's custom ARM SoC
  • Reply 13 of 15
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad with built-in two-port hub sporting USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) 2nd Generation (10 Gbps).
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Unsurprised. Once I saw those keys, I immediately thought "Apple would never use that design and I would never buy it". For me, they're too deep and hard on the eyes. For Apple... Well, they don't care about readability any more, but Jony Ive would despise how non-flat they are.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Its as fixed as it can be. There's no way for editorial staff to edit titles in the forums, and the vast majority of our traffic comes from the homepage.
    you're not getting it -- sure we all come in on the homepage, but from there many of us simply click the comments link rather than the headline. and it doesn't make any damn sense for the headline to be fixed in one spot but outdated in another. you're supposed to be a tech site, and that's a simple tech problem to solve. 

im guessing there are no full time developers working on AI, are there?

(heck if there were we'd be able to click back to a quoted comment's source comment number -- you know, like we used to be able to before the new system went online...)
    edited October 2016