Apple stops signing iOS 9.3.5, halting any downgrades from iOS 10

Posted:
in iPhone
As of Wednesday Apple is no longer signing iOS 9.3.5, effectively preventing anyone already on iOS 10 from downgrading to iOS 9.

The company has also stopped signing iOS 10.0.1, making the latest versions of iOS -- iOS 10.0.2, and 10.0.3 on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus -- the only releases anyone can install without unsupported workarounds.

Apple regularly stops signing updates as a security measure, but today's step could theoretically cause problems for people with older devices who are experiencing performance or compatibility problems with iOS 10. New versions of iOS typically don't perform as well on devices that are several years old -- some tests have suggested though that iOS 10 is friendlier in this regard than past updates.

Separately, Apple has stopped signing tvOS 9.2.2 for the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 10 introduced features like a dark mode, and upgraded Siri and HomeKit functions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Oh jeez, here it comes from the apple haters:
    I owned an iPhone and and the original iMac (and ever apple model since) but Im trading my iPhone for android now.  Apple ecosystem is loosing now, its a a walled prison where you can't even decide what OS you want to run. they are horrible, ever since Steve died... They are looser.... -o crap-... Eeeeiiiiiiiiiii!
    (frantically running around in circles as the samesung phone in back pocket bursts into flames) ;-)

mwhitefastasleepjony0watto_cobraracerhomie
  • Reply 2 of 7
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    indyfx said:
    Oh jeez, here it comes from the apple haters:
    I love when Apple does this. The haters cry so much their tears fertilize the earth and allow a beautiful crop of apples to spring forth.
    watto_cobraracerhomie
  • Reply 3 of 7
    This is a problem since there are still bugs in iOS 10 that Apple hasn't addressed. There is a significant bug on the iPad that for many apps the font resizing doesn't work.  This was known for a long time even before the release and still hasn't been fixed. Only workaround is the downgrade to 9
    greginnj
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    This is a problem since there are still bugs in iOS 10 that Apple hasn't addressed. There is a significant bug on the iPad that for many apps the font resizing doesn't work.  This was known for a long time even before the release and still hasn't been fixed. Only workaround is the downgrade to 9
    Are you in the beta program? 
    racerhomie
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Are you in the beta program? 

No but the developer thread on it shows this error is still not fixed in 10.1 beta 4 the latest for the iPad. Beta 5 is iPhone only.  The bug ticket with Apple has also not passed QA or been updated since 9/27.  This is a significant bug.  

• Reply 6 of 7
    I'm on iOS10 and I wasn't aware personally, (since I use TouchID to unlock my phone) but my wife and every other mother at her toddler group use slide-to-unlock and it's caused an uproar that those that upgraded can't now use slide-to-unlock. A few of em downgraded purely to get this back. I asked around at work and one or two guys there did the same, they don't want to use touchID and want to keep the familiarity of slide-to-unlock.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I regret updating my iPad to iOS 10. It is really buggy. Gave me an error 3194 when I tried iOS 9.3.5 and it destroyed my iPad and I've had to restore it from a backup. Also I won't buy a damn android tablet, these are even worse. Believe me, I sent feedback to Apple so they will let me downgrade to iOS 9.3.5 :DD