Apple ramping up iPhone 7 production to take advantage of Samsung's Note 7 woes - report

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is reportedly increasing its iPhone production orders in the fourth quarter in a bid to take marketshare from Samsung, still reeling from the end of the Galaxy Note 7.

Samsung, for its part, has increased orders for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge to compensate for missing phone numbers, according to DigiTimes. Smartphone makers in general have allegedly been ramping up orders, such that it's impacting computer makers, as suppliers delay parts shipments to them.

A number of memory suppliers have been switching their focus from computers to phones, resulting in computer memory delays between 10 to 20 weeks or more, DigiTimes said. It's unknown if this might affect shipments of Apple's new MacBooks, expected to be revealed at an event on Thursday.

Computer production should continue uninterrupted for a short time, as suppliers are said to keep 3 to 4 weeks' worth of inventory as backup. A crunch could take hold after November, however, unless suppliers realign their production or computer makers pull back demand.

Samsung had intended the Note 7 to be a serious challenger to the iPhone 7, which like the iPhone 6s is mostly an evolutionary improvement. While tne Note 7 initially met with positive reviews, a series of battery fires prompted a recall and the eventual death of the product. Samsung is expecting to lose billions of dollars, and could suffer more depending on the outcome of legal action.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    The iPhone 7 is an evolutionary improvement? Everything including the case has changed, what more could Apple have changed?
    Deelronjbdragoncaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 30
    netmage said:
    The iPhone 7 is an evolutionary improvement? Everything including the case has changed, what more could Apple have changed?
    This is AppleInsider, the site that must ding Apple especially if the article is primarily positive or contains Samsung or Google reference. I think there is a ding quota that must be met on a daily basis.
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 30
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    netmage said:
    The differences between apes and humans are evolutionary improvements.  All kidding aside, why do you think the difference between an iPhone 6s and 7 is more than than evolutionary? It's all basically the same but a little better.  And really, the case changed?  It changed so much that I was able to move my Incipio case from my old 6 to my new 7 (two generations of "revolutionary" changes mind you) and it fits fine.
    caliafrodri
  • Reply 4 of 30
    The Note line only sold a fraction of what the iPhone sold. If Apple is responding it'sbecause they think the Note 7 disaster will cause sales of all Samsung devices to fall (like the S7).
    longpathcaliwatto_cobraration al
  • Reply 5 of 30
    So Apple is ramping up iPhone 7 production in Q4 to take advantage of the Note 7 woes not because Apple needs to meet its own seasonal customer demand for the iPhone 7/Plus, eh?

When Apple reduces production in Q1, it will not be due to seasonal decreasing customer demand for iPhone 7/Plus. It will be due to lackluster features. I know the script. 
    cali
  • Reply 6 of 30
    The Note line only sold a fraction of what the iPhone sold. If Apple is responding it'sbecause they think the Note 7 disaster will cause sales of all Samsung devices to fall (like the S7).

Exactly. And even then, meeting the Note 7's demise is probably one afternoon of extra production for Apple's suppliers. 
    brucemcjbdragoncaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    sog35 said:
    williamh said:
    netmage said:
    The differences between apes and humans are evolutionary improvements.  All kidding aside, why do you think the difference between an iPhone 6s and 7 is more than than evolutionary? It's all basically the same but a little better.  And really, the case changed?  It changed so much that I was able to move my Incipio case from my old 6 to my new 7 (two generations of "revolutionary" changes mind you) and it fits fine.
    The iPhone7 case is a huge change over the 6s.

1. Water proof. That is a massive change in the case. Just because its deeper than the skin does not mean its not a massive change
    2. Stereo Speakers
    3. Hidden Antenna lines. Makes the phone look so much sleeker
    4. Solid State button

Those are pretty massive changes. Just as massive as the jump from the 4s to the 5
    1. The 6s is water resistant. Waterproof is better but not huge. 
    2. Yeah right. The stereo separation is how much?
    3. Since most people immediately put a case on the phone, you're literally talking about a hidden feature. 
    4. Who cares?  A lot of people prefer the old button. (I'm not one of them.)
    singularity
  • Reply 8 of 30
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    [repost - I initially posted this in a less relevant article]

Note this zinger on Samsung from national political news.

“The president recently compared Obamacare to a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, and he's right: this disastrous law is blowing up. But at least you can return the phone,” Rep. Ryan added.

Obama's comments were actually on the topic of the Note 7 catching fire, stating that "you don't repeal smartphones" and "go back to rotary phones."  Instead, he says, "you go fix the problem."

That all seemed a little complicated, so instead I just scanned the FAA's list of hazardous materials and bought the phone that wasn't listed as a fire hazard to planes.

I'm quite happy with the iPhone 7.
    longpathcaliafrodriwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    sog35 said:
    netmage said:
    If you want to see real revolutionary change look at the Google Pixel.

First phone made entirely by Google. Well except for the CPU...and the GPU. Oh and the case. Oh and its being built by HTC. Oh and the screen. But it was 100% designed by Google! That has to count for something right? Except it was actually designed by a few Apple employees or should I say some stolen CAD drawings of the iPhone6. But still it has the Google logo on it!!!! It must be different!!!

Also the Pixel is revolutionary because it has something called a digital assistant. In other words you can actually talk to your phone! Amazing! Revolutionary!

So there you go.

Apple should be more revolutionary like Google
    As an aside if you want "revolutionary" check out Xiaomi's latest phone, the Mi Mix officially announced yesterday. No it's not just a concept device, it's actually being produced and available to order (if you're in China).

Borderless 6.4" display in the same footprint as an iPhone 7+. Over a 90% screen to body ration. Eliminated the earpiece by using a piezoelectric ceramic driver instead. Got rid of the standard infrared proximity sensor by moving to ultrasonics. All ceramic case. A 50% smaller front camera module engineered to fit that relatively smallish case assembled with a unique tenon joint design with no plastics or adhesives used to hold it together.. . .  

and selling for the US equivalent of less than $520.
    http://en.miui.com/thread-392623-1-1.html

Personally I expect at least a couple of these innovations to appear in the 10th Anniversary edition of the iPhone. I think Apple has big plans for that one. 
    EDIT: I see 9to5 posted up an article just now with that same "coming to the iPhone" theme. 

edited October 2016
  • Reply 10 of 30
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Exactly. And even then, meeting the Note 7's demise is probably one afternoon of extra production for Apple's suppliers. 
    Very relevant comment.  The small amount of Note 7 purchasers, and potential future purchasers after the recall, that would move from Samsung to Apple would likely be in the (very) low single digit millions at best.  Apple makes more than 1M iPhones per day in the holiday quarter.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    What about the 256GB storage option? That's why I bought my iPhone 7 Plus. I can never have enough storage space. I'm a horder.
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    williamh said:
    sog35 said:
    williamh said:
    netmage said:

3. Since most people immediately put a case on the phone, you're literally talking about a hidden feature. 
    Assuming you don't have an iPhone 7, but the audio quality has improved massively over the 6/6S. Not just for movies/music/speakerphone, but also just for normal conversations, as the earpiece speaker is way more dynamic than the previous one.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 13 of 30
    sog35 said:
    williamh said:
    sog35 said:
    williamh said:
    netmage said:
    The iPhone7 case is a huge change over the 6s.

1. Water proof. That is a massive change in the case. Just because its deeper than the skin does not mean its not a massive change
    2. Stereo Speakers
    3. Hidden Antenna lines. Makes the phone look so much sleeker
    4. Solid State button

Those are pretty massive changes. Just as massive as the jump from the 4s to the 5
    1. No. There is a HUGE difference between the water resistence between the 6s and 7. The 6s when dipped in water would damage the speakers almost immediately.  And get to 6+ feet and the 6s is toast. Stop minimizing the importance of water resistence. It is a big change in case design. If you don't appreciate it, that's your problem. 

2. Give me a break. When the phone is held in landscape there is a big difference in volume if there is only 1 speaker. And especially if multiple people are watching. Stop poo pooing significant changes.

3. Just stop. With your logic no design would be major since a case always covers 60% of a phone. 

4. Who cares? Its not about who cares. Regardless it is a massive design change if you want to admit it or not.

I'm sorry if you think the iPhone7 should have been shaped as a triangle, but there were massive design changes with the 7. Waterproof, stereo speakers, first change in the home button since the original iPhone, and sleeker back. 

What do you expect?

A curved screen? LOL. That's a POS feature.
    Smaller bezel? The tech isn't ready. Just look at the Pixel. Samsung tried smaller bezel's and their phones are blowing up. Other companies have smaller bezel's but crappy home button on the BACK of the phone.
    I don't think the phone should be designed any different.  I liked the iPhone 6 design so much I bought another one, just newer, the model 7.  Even fits in the old case just fine.  
    edited October 2016 scartartlongpathafrodri
  • Reply 14 of 30
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,098member
    Apple needs to get on this ASAP.. I ordered my 7 plus Oct. 13 and it still says it ships in November. The "cancel order" option is tempting for someone not so tied to and passionate about Apple products as I am. I could see Apple losing a lot of potential customers and new converts because of supply issues with the 7 plus. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 15 of 30
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    netmage said:
    Apple didn't make a triangle phone!!!
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Wait, I thought everyone wanted BIG phones!!! The Note 7 is bigger then the S7. So the Note series should sell far more because it's bigger right? Oh wait, that's not happening. Samesung sells more S series phones then the Note by a pretty large margin.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    sog35 said:
    netmage said:
    If you want to see real revolutionary change look at the Google Pixel.

First phone made entirely by Google. Well except for the CPU...and the GPU. Oh and the case. Oh and its being built by HTC. Oh and the screen. But it was 100% designed by Google! That has to count for something right? Except it was actually designed by a few Apple employees or should I say some stolen CAD drawings of the iPhone6. But still it has the Google logo on it!!!! It must be different!!!

Also the Pixel is revolutionary because it has something called a digital assistant. In other words you can actually talk to your phone! Amazing! Revolutionary!

So there you go.

Apple should be more revolutionary like Google
    i still don't get it. What were the Nexus phones? Were those not Google designed phones, built by someone else? Google also owned Motorola and released a few phones from them also. maybe not 100% designed by Google,but Google owned the company and rleeased the phone, so it's still GOOGLE's. If/when the Pixel fails, mainly because of the high Android price tag. Will the next phone Google does, but the True 100% Google designed phone? I just find this all funny.
    calibadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    I ordered the first day and still haven't received mine, so I'm all in favor of Apple ramping up production.
    calibadmonkwatto_cobratyler82
  • Reply 19 of 30
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 747member
    williamh said:
    netmage said:

The processor is much better.  The screen is much better.  The home button is much better.  The camera is much better.  The casing is much better.  The haptics are much better. The speakers are much better.

I guess not much has improved aside from these items.
    edited October 2016 badmonkwatto_cobraration al
  • Reply 20 of 30
    igorsky said:
    williamh said:
    netmage said:

The processor is much better.  The screen is much better.  The home button is much better.  The camera is much better.  The casing is much better.  The haptics are much better. The speakers are much better.

I guess not much has improved aside from these items.
    Do people not understand that words actually have meanings?  Evolutionary means something.  Revolutionary means something else. (It's not a synonym for evolutionary). Sure those things are better. Who suggested they're not?

I referred to the definition for revolutionary since you guys are not only not going to think about it ,you're not going to look it up either.  The relevant meaning is radically new or radically innovative. All of those things you list are not radically new or radically innovative, they're just better. The original iPhone was revolutionary.  The subsequent versions have been fantastic phones but represent evolutionary change. 
    afrodricali