Logic board issue - Late 2011 Macbook pro 15"

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hey guys. Im just after some help on an issue I have with my late 2011 macbook pro 15"

So about 2 years ago I had an issue with the graphics. At this point there was nothing I could have done through apple because the warranty had run out, and there was no recall for this issue with the logic board at that time. I had this fixed elsewhere from a non approved apple shop. Its worked fine since then and I've upgraded the ram myself from 4 to 16, replaced the HD to SSD and also replaced the battery (which now needs a new one again as it wasn't genuine) Last week the issue has come back. I was told by a friend with the same issue that he had his sent back in as there was a recall and they replaced the logic board free of charge. He had upgraded the ram himself before this was done.
So I contacted apple to explain the situation now what they have told me is that they would need to take it in, check it is the logic board, if it is they would replace it ONLY if nothing else in the mac has been replaced (only if it was done by apple themselves)
Now since I have upgraded the ram, replaced the battery and put an SSD in, im in a bit of a jam. I could easily put the HD back in & ram, but I no longer have the old battery. Its virtually impossible to buy a genuine battery anywhere else apart from apple.
I've contacted a non approved apple shop and they said they could try a reflow on the logic board but it would cost £125 non refundable and its a 50/50 chance of success, and it could end up ruining the logic board.
I've been thinking about buying a new mac anyway but id prefer to save some money for now.

I was just after some advice on this please?

Thanks in advanced. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    On a 2011 model, ram and hard drive are user serviceable components on that model, so this shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if the self battery service would be a problem. The repair program ends in December, so contact Apple right away. I would  avoid spending much money on this, as it's not a very good fix. I wouldn't dump too much money into this thing.

Overall I've gotten several good months, followed by sending this thing in again when it starts to show artifacts. Because of that, I'll probably jump on a 15" when they release new ones. It's still a move from 17" to 15", but I can deal with it. Reflowing a broken board is a waste of money (imo). It is really just an engineering hack.