To Buy A MacPro or Not To Buy A MacPro, That is the Question ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Hi there....

Like a lot of fellow MacPro users I was totally devastated to see that Apple decided to pass over a refresh of the current, three-year old MacPro for a Touch Bar MacBook Pro.

They even dropped it from the Mac Line Up Official Marketing photos... showing an iMac, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air instead.

I want a new machine and I need a new machine. My current configuration is the following:

– MacPro (Mid 2010)
– Processor (2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon)
– Memory (64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3)
– Startup Disk (512GB SSD)
– Graphics (ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB)
– QTY 3 x 3TB Internal SATA Drives
– 15TB DroboS
– 27" Apple Cinema Display (Not Thunderbolt)

Today.... feel deflated about the new MacPro... I decided to revisit the current version and I build my dream machine.

Below are the specs that I selected:-
– New MacPro (Mid 2010)
– Processor (2.7GHz 12 Core with 30MB of L3 Cache)
– Memory (16GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC but I will get 64GB after delivery from Crucial Memory Uk)
– Startup Disk (512GB PCIe Flash Storage SSD)
– Graphics (Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM)

The total of the new system would be €7,257 + €1,669 VAT. TOTAL = €8,926
I can get a discounted on this making it €5,495 + €1,264 VAT. TOTAL = €6,759


I can claim back the VAT as I'm a VAT registered company.

Would you, based on the specifications of both computers think that this purchase would be justifiable.

Any comments of suggests most welcome.


Regards,
Anthony

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,228moderator
    amcliz said:
    Would you, based on the specifications of both computers think that this purchase would be justifiable.
    It's a bad time to be buying one if they will update it. If they did update it, the top model would be 18-core so the 12-core would be at a lower price point e.g 5900 euros incl tax. Once you add SSD and the best GPUs, it would be around 7459 euros. The discounted offer you have would be ok. What you'd lose out on is Thunderbolt 3, which is 40Gbps vs 20Gbps in the current one, the new AMD GPUs would be around 2x the performance and the SSD will be about 50% faster. I'd personally wait it out but the discounted offer is a reasonable option if you can't wait longer.
    edited October 2016
Sign In or Register to comment.