Survey suggests iPhone 7 more popular than Apple's 6s, not as big as 6

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
Apple's newly released iPhone 7 lineup is poised to outperform its predecessor, the iPhone 6s, a new survey suggests. But outdoing the blockbuster performance of the iPhone 6 series remains a tall order.

The UBS Evidence Lab Global Smartphone Survey polled nearly 6,500 consumers across five countries, and found that demand for the iPhone 7 is especially strong in the U.S., where almost half of respondents said they are "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to purchase.

In fact, in America alone, demand for the iPhone 7 is even greater than during the iPhone 6 cycle two years ago. That's offset, however, by China, where demand for the iPhone 7 was tracked lower than the previous two product cycles.

The poll also found that consumer interst is rising for the jumbo-sized 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus, which exclusively features a new dual-lens camera design.

The results gave analyst Steven Milunovich confidence in his estimates, which call for the iPhone 7 series to post 6 percent year over year growth in fiscal year 2017. That would be a change from fiscal 2016, when the company saw its first-ever decline in iPhone sales.

The key factor was pent-up demand for larger-screen iPhones, which led to a so-called "super cycle" for the launch of the iPhone 6.

Apple is widely expected to introduce an all-new form factor iPhone next year, which Milunovich believes could help propel sales once again. He is currently forecasting iPhone unit growth of 16 percent in fiscal year 2018.

UBS has maintained a "buy" rating on AAPL stock with a 12-month price target of $127.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A survey! Gosh I hate Wall St.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 2 of 10
    This reminds me of a reply I did exactally 1 year ago about the 6s outperforming the 6 and 5s article.
    Again........ 
    Shocking :D
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Thank you Captain Obvious. Keep up the good work!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I don't think any phone can top the sales of 6/6 plus in the near future. It's not that sales of the 7 or so is lagging. It's the fact the 6 had unbelievable demand. 
  • Reply 5 of 10
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    jungmark said:
    I don't think any phone can top the sales of 6/6 plus in the near future. It's not that sales of the 7 or so is lagging. It's the fact the 6 had unbelievable demand. 
    It seems like the iPhone7 should atlas equal the P6 considering the problem Samsung has had.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Nothing will be as big as the iPhone 6 for the foreseeable future, in terms of growth, for a myriad of reasons.  So let's stop with those insane and irrational expectations. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Wonder if they say this due to the limited supply on the iPhone 7 Plus.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,098member
    I ordered my 7 plus sim free on oct. 13 and it just shipped yesterday, planned arrival nov. 7.. This thing was announced almost 2 months ago and still on backorder. Either they made a small amount or the demand is huge. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,278member
    Wall Street has it wrong...it shouldn't be iPhone sales they should track but the persistent expansion of the user base.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    An anecdotal story: I was at Costco today. Naturally I gravitate towards the tech section where the cell phone companies have their booth. While I was there, a discussion between the AT&T rep and a woman. She was asking what is the best smartphone to get and the rep said the iPhone 7. She seemed to be adamant on getting a Samsung phone. The AT&T rep said that for her to be happy and feeling secure, he strongly recommends the iPhone 7. He also said that there are fewer problems with the iPhone 7 plus it's more secure. She will have fewer headaches with the iPhone 7. She still was going for a Samsung but in the long run, she changed and purchased the iPhone 7. Just reporting what I saw at a place that's in neutral territory.