Apple's latest ad brings iPhone 7 poolside to tout stereo speakers, waterproof design

Posted:
in iPhone
The latest minute-long television spot promoting the iPhone 7 showcases the handset's new, louder stereo speaker design, along with its water resistant chassis.

As with previous iPhone 7 ads, the commercial tells a story, making it more personal than a typical product placement. The ad shows a man lounging poolside, listening to music, before he decides to take advantage of the louder stereo speakers on the iPhone 7 to hear as he walks away.

On the stand beside his pool lounge chair is a puddle, subtly hinting at the waterproof design of the iPhone 7 as it not only rests in the water, but also causes ripples from the volume of the music.

Onlookers at the pool watch as the man climbs to the top of a diving platform and dives into the pool causing a splash on his music playing iPhone 7.

Though the waterproofing of the iPhone 7 plays prominently in the ad, the only feature specifically mentioned via text at the end of the spot are the stereo speakers. As with previous ads, it ends with the tagline: "practically magic."

Prior ads in the campaign showed off the new dynamic Messages, dual cameras in low light, and a biker preparing to use the iPhone 7 in a thunderstorm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    These devices aren't "waterproofed". They are water resistant. I wish writers would understand the difference.

in addition, I've been reading a lot about Apple/Samsung and others not warranting these products against water damage, and that they think it means that the products don't live up to the claims being made for them. That isn't true. There is no way for Apple, or anyone else to know what you've done with your phone. If you had it in three meters of water for an hour, which is well out of the specs, and it leaked, Apple can't tell that. Maybe someday, but not now.
    doozydozenjay-ttyler82lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cute daughter.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    The stereo speakers are indeed much louder than last year's iP6s mono speaker.

For example, I use a white noise app to gently lull myself to sleep at night. The iP7 only needs half the volume to achieve similar loudness, compared to a iP6s. Impressive!
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 4 of 13
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,098member
    melgross said:
    These devices aren't "waterproofed". They are water resistant. I wish writers would understand the difference.

in addition, I've been reading a lot about Apple/Samsung and others not warranting these products against water damage, and that they think it means that the products don't live up to the claims being made for them. That isn't true. There is no way for Apple, or anyone else to know what you've done with your phone. If you had it in three meters of water for an hour, which is well out of the specs, and it leaked, Apple can't tell that. Maybe someday, but not now.
    And if you dropped  your phone into the sink for 5 seconds and it stopped working, Apple would have no way of knowing that either, and you are out $900 when you thought you were getting a water resistant phone and you did nothing outside of the specs to damage it.

I ordered the 7 plus and am going into this with the full intention that it is in no way water resistant and should not get wet.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I don't even shower with my Apple Watch on. I know some people do, but I don't want my electronics to get damaged and then not be warrantied. If I get an iPhone 7 I'll probably still take pictures if it's raining a bit and not worry if it is getting wet outside or something. But I'd still probably be really careful since I often have my MacBook with me too.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Does this article include the video? My latest model MB Air with Safari 10.0 isn't displaying it even after 'reloading with plug-ins' under the View menu. There is a gap in the text after '...ripples from the volume of the music.'
  • Reply 7 of 13
    marmebbermanmarmebberman Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Does anyone know where that pool is? Italy?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Sailor guySailor guy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Where was this commercial filmed?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I'm pretty sure it's the Piscines Bernat Picornell in Barcelona, Spain. The've got built for the Olympics in 1992 and their main feature is that they are up in the Montjuic mountain so that they offer a spectacular city backdrop from the springboard/platform.

https://goo.gl/maps/3eT25WGiatq

nolamacguyMr Food
  • Reply 10 of 13
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,278member
    Thanks Merc20.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gianniagnelligianniagnelli Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    does anyone know who the diver is?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    NancitaLopezNancitaLopez Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    what is the name of that diver?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Mr Food Mr Food Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Enzo Maiorca of Italy.  85 years old and died shortly after commercial aired. World record free diver.