LifeProof opens preorders for rugged Fre cases for iPhone 7 & 7 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
Otterbox-owned LifeProof on Thursday launched preorders for its Fre cases for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, designed to offer extra protection not just from drops but the outside climate.

LifeProof Fre iPhone 7 case

Each case is drop-proof to a height of 6.6 feet, and waterproof to a similar depth, LifeProof said. They also block our dirt and snow, thanks in part to a built-in screen protector.

All ports and controls -- including the touchscreen -- remain accessible while one of the cases is on. To access a phone's Lightning port, owners have to flip open a lid.

The iPhone 7 version of the Fre is available in six basic color combinations: black, blue, red, gray, teal, and purple, each costing $89.99. Two camouflage variants cost an extra $10. Black models should be in stock as soon as Nov. 11, but some may arrive as late as December, and there's no firm date for the camouflage options.

The 7 Plus case comes in just five colors, namely black, blue, gray, teal, and purple, each for $89.99. Black units should be ready on Nov. 18 -- purple is due on Dec. 9, while the other colors are listed as "coming soon."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Cases that cutout for the logo are all kinds of ugly.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Wow, it costs $90 to make your phone ugly! 
    mike1ireland
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    ireland said:
    But now necessary if you want to board an airliner or train without uncasing your phone to prove it's not an exploding Samsung. 
    edited November 2016 icoco3watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jfc1138 said:
    ireland said:
    But now necessary if you want to board an airliner or train without uncasing your phone to prove it's not an exploding Samsung. 
    lol

Pull the stylus/pin out of its hole and watch them all take a dive.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Thanks, but I'll just "go commando" with my Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus.

(Just to avoid any confusion: "go commando" is American slang for "no underpants."
    So, in this context, it means "no case."  This is your American English lesson for the day.)
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MaxLeopoldMaxLeopold Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Where is the AVALANCHE WHITE Case Colour Scheme?!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MaxLeopoldMaxLeopold Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    And when can we expect the "FRĒ Power" Cases with Battery
    & this time for both Models please,
    not just the Standard Sized Models!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sockrolid said:
    Thanks, but I'll just "go commando" with my Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus.

(Just to avoid any confusion: "go commando" is American slang for "no underpants."
    So, in this context, it means "no case."  This is your American English lesson for the day.)
    I thought about doing that but just got a SaltClear RokForm iPhone 7 Plus Crystal Case for my Jet Black Plus. So  I can still see my shiny black beauty but it has protection in case it is, heaven forbid, dropped.  Added benefit of an optional wrist strap to prevent that as well as a soft rubber lip around the edge in case it lands face down.  So far I'm happy with the case as it doesn't make it too bulky or much heavier.