is aol/iChat down??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
can't get on (should go to bed anyway)....anybody else having problems with either AIM or iChat? thanks g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    message i get at iChat connection attempt:

Could not connect to AIM. Try again. The server message was Auth:ResvMapErro

message i get at Aol Instant Messager (SM):

An error occurred while trying to complete the connection to the host. Please try again. sucker

ok...i added the sucker part....g
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Yes, I mentioned this in another thread.

Mac.com names fail to connect in any client. Regular AIM names, though, work fine in any client. The official client gives a slightly more detailed error. Slightly.

[quote]The Instant Messenger service cannot accept any more logins right now. Try again later.<hr></blockquote>

BTW, this has been CONFIRMED by another mac.com user that works at Apple. He doesn't know what's up either, except that AOL's servers have been flakey as of late.

If you're already on with a Mac.com name, don't disconnect! As long as you stay on, it seems you're fine. It's only when you disconnect and attempt to reconnect that there are problems.

Â*

Â*

My guess?

Â*

AOL has only allotted 12 slots for Apple to use with Mac.com names on the AIM network. We're just going to have to take our turns.

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 10
    i have both a mac.com name and an AIM name....i always use my AIM name...still can't connect...was on earlier...should have stayed on i guess....but i was bored (not an uncommon occurence and my boredom was also CONFIRMED by an unnamed apple source)...thanks for the info (though i'm not sure i know what the hell is happening any better now than i did before)....g

only 12 slots...hell, that means Brad's multiple personalities alone will use up more than half of them....no wonder i can't get on

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    So, you're saying your regular AIM name isn't working either? Hmm... let's see here...

Hot damn.

I just tried another AIM name of mine and couldn't get in either. WTF? Cripes. I'm glad I'm still logged in on iChat with my old AIM name, even though almost nobody knows of it these days.

AOL. Yeesh.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I'm using AIM on my PC, and I get the message "The AOL Instant Messenger Service is temporarily unavailable".
  • Reply 6 of 10
    thanks bri for the info...helps....doesn't help me get on AIM, but helps me decide to hit the sack....g
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I think you may have gone off to sleep a little too soon, g.

The service is back up again.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    yeah...sleep is overrated...g
  • Reply 9 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Yes, well, sometimes AIM goes down. Is this really a surprise?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    No, it's no surprise that AIM goes down from time to time. Though, for the majority of this outage, it was ONLY the Mac.com names that were being blocked. Wouldn't you find that a little odd?

I guess I was a little mad too because I had JUST started writing <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001514"; target="_blank">my iChat tutorial</a> when it crapped out.