B&H claims Apple's BeatsX earbuds will go on sale Dec. 16

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple will finally launch its BeatsX earbuds -- equipped with the company's proprietary W1 wireless chip -- on Dec. 16, according to retailer B&H.

A listing on B&H's website was pointed out by AppleInsider reader Bryce. Apple has never given an official release date for the earbuds, except that they should ship sometime before Christmas.

Indeed B&H's date could just be a reasonable prediction -- but Apple would presumably share information with retailers when it's ready, especially for a product that isn't supposed to be a major secret.

For full disclosure, B&H is an AppleInsider partner, most notably in our Mac Price Guide.

While also working with third-party hardware, the W1 chip allows for quicker pairing with Apple devices, and in fact several of them simultaneously thanks to iCloud. The chip also offers extreme range, possibly up to 400 feet or more in the case of the Beats Solo3 Wireless, the first headphones with the technology.

So far, the only shipping products with the W1 include the Solo3 Wireless and the Powerbeats3 Wireless. Apple's self-branded AirPods have been delayed, though they might finally arrive later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Too late for holiday shopping unfortunately.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Hopefullly this means AirPods will go on-sale sooner. I've always said Beats X won't go in-sale before the AirPods. 
    webweasel
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I don't understand why Apple has two lines of headphones: Beats, Apple

I guess the answer is "brand loyalty" -- there are many people who like the Beats brand, and Apple wants to keep them in the family.  But the purist in me says that Apple need to reconcile these overlapping product lines into a single (and single-branded) offering.
    schlackwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 20

I guess the answer is "brand loyalty" -- there are many people who like the Beats brand, and Apple wants to keep them in the family.  But the purist in me says that Apple need to reconcile these overlapping product lines into a single (and single-branded) offering.
    Beats is a higher end brand. Apple sound quality is bad to ok, and their top of the line AirPods go for $160, where as the entry level Beats go for $150 and sound better.
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 20
    schlack said:

Beats is a higher end brand. Apple sound quality is bad to ok, and their top of the line AirPods go for $160, where as the entry level Beats go for $150 and sound better.
    Ah, thank you.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I was actually thinking of buying these, but want to read the reviews first.  From what I gathered if you find earpods uncomfortable, airpods would not be any better.  Plus going into/out of subway I need to adjust volume, and airpods don't do that, you have to ask siri to do that, which is sure to be annoying.  Need to find that if these have dedicated buttons for that.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    romanmar said:
    Plus going into/out of subway I need to adjust volume, and airpods don't do that...
    Yeah, I will likely buy AirPods, but this lack of "finger control" for volume is disappointing.  I like being able to reach up and quickly adjust the volume as the background noise in my environment changes.  We'll lose that ability with AirPods, apparently.

I'm wondering if AirPods have any ability to gain features (e.g., this volume control) issue through some sort of software / firmware update from Apple in the future...?  Probably not, as there is no data connection into them and therefore no way to load any updated software.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    romanmar said:
    I was actually thinking of buying these, but want to read the reviews first.  From what I gathered if you find earpods uncomfortable, airpods would not be any better.  Plus going into/out of subway I need to adjust volume, and airpods don't do that, you have to ask siri to do that, which is sure to be annoying.  Need to find that if these have dedicated buttons for that.
    You'd otherwise need to adjust the volume from your device which is how I most commonly do it now with most headphones.
    williamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    schlack said:

Unless you like boomy, exaggerated bass, Beats products certainly do not sound better than virtually anything.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mike1 said:
    romanmar said:
    You'd otherwise need to adjust the volume from your device which is how I most commonly do it now with most headphones.
    Sure, but for $150 I want volume buttons that's available on the headphones that come with the phone. 
  • Reply 11 of 20
    romanmar said:
    Plus going into/out of subway I need to adjust volume, and airpods don't do that...
    Yeah, I will likely buy AirPods, but this lack of "finger control" for volume is disappointing.  I like being able to reach up and quickly adjust the volume as the background noise in my environment changes.  We'll lose that ability with AirPods, apparently.

I'm wondering if AirPods have any ability to gain features (e.g., this volume control) issue through some sort of software / firmware update from Apple in the future...?  Probably not, as there is no data connection into them and therefore no way to load any updated software.
    there is most certainly a data connection b/w a phone and airpods, how else is music transmitted to it.  I'm sure Apple has a protocol that can update firmware in the airpods, as far as adjusting volume based on background noise, cool idea, I have that in my car, but somehow I doubt it they will be implementing that, considering they are so late with airpods delivery.  From the delays, I personally think airpods will be a half baked.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    mike1 said:
    schlack said:

Unless you like boomy, exaggerated bass, Beats products certainly do not sound better than virtually anything.

Just FYI, according to one reviewer who is pretty critical of Beats for their exaggerated bass, the BeatsX demo pair he tested were far less exaggerated than any other Beats headphone product he's tested.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Have to admit these look rather nice, I'm an earbud fan, but I am put off by the excessive bass of which many, many people warn. The new Air Pods are gorgeous, I love the idea, love the tech, but my ears are funny shape I think, I can never use the inbox ones that come with the iPhone and I'd be afraid the new APs will fall out. These, however, appear to solve that problem, will be interesting to hear what people on here, if anyone buys a pair, think of them, really interested.

Edit: one more thing, can we assume non lossless audio with these, has that been definitively answered? Just curious, thx.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 14 of 20
    sog35 said:
    use your Watch to control volume
    You're right.  Thanks for the reminder.

(It's tricky during winter when my wrist is buried under sweatshirts and jackets, but your suggestions is a good reminder that solutions do exist.)
  • Reply 15 of 20
    schlack said:

How would you know what sounds better when neither of these products are on the market yet?
    The_Martini_Catentropys
  • Reply 16 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mike1 said:
    schlack said:

I believe you're out of date.  Most reviews of Beats headphones from the past couple of years say they've abandoned the bass heaviness of their early models.  The Studios in particular are rather highly regarded.
    lolliver
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I have listened diligently to both airpods and beatsX in my imagination, and while they both sound terrific, they're too expensive for my pocketbook.  The airpods have much better microphone pickup though, so if you need to make phone calls, these are the best ones to imagine buying.
    entropyslolliver
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Definitely suggests that AirPods won't arrive until January.

That means anyone who bought an iPhone 7 in September, who upgrades every year, will have not had use of signature technology to mitigate the loss of the headphone jack for 1/3 of the products useful life for them. If demand is high, and shipments low, some might have to wait even longer.

Pretty sad state of affairs.
    entropys
  • Reply 19 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    B&H reportedly now says it may be 2-3 months before they receive any stock of BeatsX, pushing to February/March?