Philips Hue app adds iPad support, 3D Touch widgets for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
Philips on Tuesday pushed out an update for its Hue connected lightbulb and accessories controller app, adding iPad support and new home screen widgets for iPhone users running iOS 10.

The updated Philips Hue app brings the remote lighting control software to Apple's tablet for the first time since the connected home product line launched in 2013. Previously, iPad users had to rely on third-party apps or hubs to manage individual lights.

Alongside iPad support, iPhone owners can access preset widgets via a 3D Touch press on Hue's app icon. This feature is particularly useful when users need to quickly change scenes or activate macros like turning room lights on and off.

In addition, today's app update includes an improved scene edit tool, allowing users to customize lighting scenes both with and without a reference picture. Previously, the Hue app required users to select a color scheme from a camera roll photo or a stock image provided by Philips.

The Hue app also includes the usual bug fixes and improvements.

Today's release builds on Philips' "Gen 2" Hue app, which delivered a raft of features to its HomeKit-enabled lighting products, including routines, voice control options and Notification Center widgets.

The Philips Hue app is a free 73MB download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Where's the Watch support?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mac_128 said:
    Where's the Watch support?
    The Apple Watch is supported.  Go to iTunes and it says, 'Offers Apple Watch App for iPhone'.  The watch support is not a new feature.  That was added back in July to the new Philips Hue app, and added back in April 2015 with the original Philips Hue gen 1 app.
    edited November 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 7
    About time. Not like it's a complicated app. iPad support could have been completed in half a day.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    But why do we even need this? Isn't it already incorporated in Apple's own Home app?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    But why do we even need this? Isn't it already incorporated in Apple's own Home app?
    The Hue App does way more than Apple's own Home app. The Home App only controls your favorite scenes and you can turn on/off individual lights. You need the Hue app to control colors, room setup, etc. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Prior to this, the Hue app was Universal, so it function on iPads. Many times, a dedicated iPad app only annoys me, so I'll use an app's iPhone version instead.

I'm waiting for my first Hue Starter kit to ship next month. So far, Philip's Hue app seems to average low ratings. I'll pay more attention once I get my kit.

Where are 75/100W equivalent Hue bulbs? 60W is only ambience lighting for me. I'd also like real room lighting without using a bunch of 60W eq. bulbs. 'Regular' 100w eq. LEDs are getting pretty stable now, so c'mon Philips!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    after setting up my rooms and scenes, i use the iOS widgets to toggle multi-room scenes 99% of the time. i sure do wish these widget items would sync between devices.