Apple to open seventh Shanghai store on Dec. 10

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is preparing to launch its next Chinese store in Shanghai on Saturday, Dec. 10, throwing open the doors at 10 a.m. local time.




The outlet will be based out of Vanke Mall in Qibao, located in the suburbs of the city. Hours will run from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week, unlike many of Apple's stores in Europe or North America, which normally have reduced hours on one or more days and can sometimes shut down entirely on Sundays.

The Qibao shop will be Apple's seventh in Shanghai, cementing the city's status as one of the most densely-covered in terms of Apple stores. The company is up to 489 locations worldwide, and is likely to hit 500 early into 2017.

Although China hasn't proven the growth market Apple anticipated -- largely due to intense competition from local smartphone makers like Huawei and Oppo -- the country is still a major source of revenue, second only to the Americas and likely to take the lead in the next few years.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    holyoneholyone Posts: 377member
    Man does it suck every time I read this kind of stuff, wish apple could some how give every region that has a dedicated page on the web site at least one store, middle child syndrome :(
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Somehow, I have a feeling that China may have plateaued on Apple Stores. I don't have a good feeling about how well American businesses, esp. in tech, are going to do there in the short term (1-4 years) given the likely relationship -- or lack of it -- between Trump and China. (Not that I am against China being put in is place; it's about time a US President had the guts to take on their belligerence in international affairs as well as their barriers to US tech companies doing business there).
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 3 of 12
    My concern is that CCP is ready and itching to pull the rug out from under Apple in China as a big stick in the eye against the US. I understand that Apple must participate and advance its strategy. Yet, the leverage, the antagonism and nationalism stoked by the CCP against this particular company bodes badly for investors and clients of Apple products. A totalitarian government has no qualms in nixing a brand or rejigging their manufacturing base, excluding the Fruit. How Apple will remove itself from this Pandora's box is anyone's guess. But, putting a blinder on just won't make a lick of difference.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    sog35 said:

    ... Cook has put all his eggs in the China basket.
    He has not. He's aggressively pursuing India for precisely that reason.

    Moreover, Apple is far from the only company that suffered from having China exposure.
    edited December 2016 caliroundaboutnow
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dougddougd Posts: 181member
    How about Taiwan? 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sog35 said:
    IMO, this is a big mistake.

    All this emphasis on China will bite Tim Cook in the butt.

    Instead of growing new services/products in the USA, Europe, and Japan - Cook has put all his eggs in the China basket.

    The last year that risk has back fired and Timmy has egg whites all over his face.
    Using words like "Timmy" make sure you sound juvenile and even less credible than normal, if such a thing is possible. 
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

    ... Cook has put all his eggs in the China basket.
    He has not. He's aggressively pursuing India for precisely that reason.

    Moreover, Apple is far from the only company that suffered from having China exposure.
    Well Cook didn't give India attention until China started to tank.

    Just look at last year, Tim didn't give a crap about India. Only now he does because the China gravy train is over.

    Cook's massive exposure to China is hurting Apple big time. Instead Cook should have put his energy to grow products/services in the USA, Europe, and Japan. Services and products like Search engine, Live TV package, a 4G/3G smartwatch, iMac, Mac Pro. 4k AppleTV, more games on Apple TV, redesigned iPhone, new iPad Air, ect, ect, ect, ect.
    Who cares what the reason is. Leaving aside the fact that China exploded only with iPhone 6, and a lot of career and other agreements had to get in place, which involved on-trivial effort, he now gives a crap. End of story. Don't make up stuff.

    The last para of your post is blather, and hence ignored.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

    ... Cook has put all his eggs in the China basket.
    He has not. He's aggressively pursuing India for precisely that reason.

    Moreover, Apple is far from the only company that suffered from having China exposure.
    Well Cook didn't give India attention until China started to tank.

    Just look at last year, Tim didn't give a crap about India. Only now he does because the China gravy train is over.

    Cook's massive exposure to China is hurting Apple big time. Instead Cook should have put his energy to grow products/services in the USA, Europe, and Japan. Services and products like Search engine, Live TV package, a 4G/3G smartwatch, iMac, Mac Pro. 4k AppleTV, more games on Apple TV, redesigned iPhone, new iPad Air, ect, ect, ect, ect.
    Who cares what the reason is. Leaving aside the fact that China exploded only with iPhone 6, and a lot of career and other agreements had to get in place, which involved on-trivial effort, he now gives a crap. End of story. Don't make up stuff.

    The last para of your post is blather, and hence ignored.
    iPhone sales - MASSIVELY DOWN
    iPad sales - MASSIVELY DOWN
    Mac sales - DOWN
    Watch sales - MASSIVELY DOWN
    AppleTV - probably down

    Its obvious that Timid Tim did not work hard enough on Apple's hardware/services. Every single product category is down. He put all his hopes and wishes in China. Now has egg whites all over his face.

    2 years ago all we heard from Timmy was China this, China that, China here, China there. And look where it is now. Sales down friken 40% in China. Probably even worse this holiday quarter.
    Of course China's down. We know that. Their economy had a downturn, in case you didn't know. "Did not work hard enough on hardware/services" where? In China? How do you know?

    Do you have a point, vis-a-vis this article? Repeating yourself does not make the lack of anything substantive you have to say somehow suddenly become substantive.

    (Btw, I am told that egg whites are good for your complexion).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

    ... Cook has put all his eggs in the China basket.
    He has not. He's aggressively pursuing India for precisely that reason.

    Moreover, Apple is far from the only company that suffered from having China exposure.
    Well Cook didn't give India attention until China started to tank.

    Just look at last year, Tim didn't give a crap about India. Only now he does because the China gravy train is over.

    Cook's massive exposure to China is hurting Apple big time. Instead Cook should have put his energy to grow products/services in the USA, Europe, and Japan. Services and products like Search engine, Live TV package, a 4G/3G smartwatch, iMac, Mac Pro. 4k AppleTV, more games on Apple TV, redesigned iPhone, new iPad Air, ect, ect, ect, ect.
    Who cares what the reason is. Leaving aside the fact that China exploded only with iPhone 6, and a lot of career and other agreements had to get in place, which involved on-trivial effort, he now gives a crap. End of story. Don't make up stuff.

    The last para of your post is blather, and hence ignored.
    iPhone sales - MASSIVELY DOWN
    iPad sales - MASSIVELY DOWN
    Mac sales - DOWN
    Watch sales - MASSIVELY DOWN
    AppleTV - probably down

    Its obvious that Timid Tim did not work hard enough on Apple's hardware/services. Every single product category is down. He put all his hopes and wishes in China. Now has egg whites all over his face.

    2 years ago all we heard from Timmy was China this, China that, China here, China there. And look where it is now. Sales down friken 40% in China. Probably even worse this holiday quarter.
    Of course China's down. We know that. Their economy had a downturn, in case you didn't know. "Did not work hard enough on hardware/services" where? In China? How do you know?

    Do you have a point, vis-a-vis this article? Repeating yourself does not make the lack of anything substantive you have to say somehow suddenly become substantive.

    (Btw, I am told that egg whites are good for your complexion).
    My point is Apple has been putting too much energy and emphasis on China the last 2 years. And all these new retail stores are another example of this.

    Instead of wasting valuable time and money on China they should have built better hardware/software/services products that fit the consumer in the USA/Europe/Japan. You need to admit that all the products from Timmy have been China-centric the last 2 years - gold phones, gold watches, 18k gold watches, ect.

    There are so many  products and services Tim could have focused on but instead solely focused on China. And now that is biting him in the ass.
    1) Your point is data-feee, and therefore baseless. 

    2) I had a gold phone and now have a gold iPad Pro. I am not Chinese. 

    3) You have no clue about what they're 'focused on.' That's just blather (as I said before). I do, however, think that there are more interesting products and services they could be coming out with, and sooner. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    My concern is that CCP is ready and itching to pull the rug out from under Apple in China as a big stick in the eye against the US. I understand that Apple must participate and advance its strategy. Yet, the leverage, the antagonism and nationalism stoked by the CCP against this particular company bodes badly for investors and clients of Apple products. A totalitarian government has no qualms in nixing a brand or rejigging their manufacturing base, excluding the Fruit. How Apple will remove itself from this Pandora's box is anyone's guess. But, putting a blinder on just won't make a lick of difference.
    funny instead of CCP, i thought you were talking about DT.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,382member
    sog35 said:
    IMO, this is a big mistake.

    All this emphasis on China will bite Tim Cook in the butt.

    Instead of growing new services/products in the USA, Europe, and Japan - Cook has put all his eggs in the China basket.

    The last year that risk has back fired and Timmy has egg whites all over his face.
    Using words like "Timmy" make sure you sound juvenile and even less credible than normal, if such a thing is possible. 
    Nope, not possible. 
    edited December 2016
Sign In or Register to comment.