Trump, Thiel invite Silicon Valley executives to round-table discussion in NYC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
President-Elect Donald Trump and his transition team have invited Silicon Valley tech industry leaders to a meeting in New York City on Dec. 14, and AppleInsider has learned that Apple is amongst the invitees, but may not attend.




According to USA Today, the invitation was sent by Trump's Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, and co-signed by Peter Thiel, and Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner.

The exact list of invitees is not known, but AppleInsider sources within Apple have confirmed that CEO Tim Cook and his cadre have been invited to the discussion. However, what has been called a "long-ago scheduled meeting" may prevent the CEO from attending, and it is not known at this time if a substitute will attend in his place.

"Most of Silicon Valley is moving from the 'surprised and in denial' phase to accepting the change that's coming," said Semil Shah, general partner at venture capital firm Haystack Fund. "Some of that change, such as immigration, creates anxiety and uncertainty. Some of that change, such as potential for economic stimulus at a national level, gives some folks business confidence."

Apple, Google, and Facebook were notably absent from the chairs of a business council formed by Trump's administration. Named to that board are leaders of Boeing, GE, GM, and IBM, all four of which have a significantly lower net worth than Apple.

Specific topics of discussion are not known, but based on campaign trail remarks by the President-Elect, overseas cash repatriation, manufacture of goods in the U.S. instead of China, and encryption implementation are likely on the table.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    Silicon Valley needs economic stimulus? Talk about out-of-touch.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Some of that change, such as immigration, creates anxiety and uncertainty

    While I have doubts it will happen, slamming the door on these scumbags abusing the H1B visas would be nice.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    1.  If Apple is forced to manufacture in the US, also force the Chinese ripoff companies to do so. 

    2.  Ban technology that infringe on American company's patents. 
    oneof52kamiltonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    thrangthrang Posts: 765member
    Tim should go, regardless of his personal politics. It's a no-brainer.
    randominternetpersondaren_mitchelloneof52slprescottSpamSandwichkamiltonravnorodom[Deleted User]allmypeoplejony0
  • Reply 5 of 31
    thrang said:
    Tim should go, regardless of his personal politics. It's a no-brainer.
    Agreed.  Even if they disagree with and oppose everything that's said, they should be in the room.  And frankly Trump seems to latch onto cool sounding things he hears, so go there with some compelling "asks."
    kamiltonravnorodom[Deleted User]jony0
  • Reply 6 of 31
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,650member
    Some of those open-borders and anti-American scumbag companies need to be smacked down!


    kamiltonboltsfan17
  • Reply 7 of 31
    cali said:
    1.  If Apple is forced to manufacture in the US, also force the Chinese ripoff companies to do so. 

    2.  Ban technology that infringe on American company's patents. 
    Mmm...

    It wouldn't surprise me if Sammy decided to manufacture phones in the US  just to one-up Apple.

  • Reply 8 of 31
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,563member

    Folks, Trade is not a bad thing and Trump knows this, The issue that exist today is not that US companies build in other countries, the issue is the fact that countries like China and Mexico do not buy US made products. China forces US companies to build product in china to be sold in China, Also, US company can not hold majority ownership in any company in China, the Chinese have to hold 51% of the business, not true in the US. If the US start the discussion with other countries have to buy US made goods and service then we will be on a level playing field.

    One example, there was US company that made Wind Power Generation systems and their technology was the control system that controls the wind turbine. China made this company manufacture the control system in China to win business in China. This company was forces to set up a JV in China to build the control systems, turns out the JV who was 51% owned by the Chinese stole all the IP on the control system and began building them without the US companies involvement and then turned around and sold the systems in the US to various government entities. The US company is now out of business and trying to sue to recover their IP, and our government awarded the business to the lowest bidder which was JV Chinese company.

    This is the problem that need to be fix, what every China requires to sell product in their market the same should be for China companies, they can not import unless the set up shop in the US and someone from the US have to have 51% ownership. This is not all about where is the cheap labor as everyone thinks, China is not as cheep as it was, US company can compete on price these days depending on the product and whether the manufacture can easily be automated.

    robbyxcroffordkamiltonpscooter63[Deleted User]jony0
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Is Trump a glutton for punishment? Does he relish the idea of getting schooled by people like Tim Cook on the realities of modern manufacturing?

    "Most of Silicon Valley is moving from the 'surprised and in denial' phase to accepting the change that's coming,"

    Accepting the change that's coming? Not likely. More like getting prepared to fight tooth and nail to delay or block anything Trump tries to put through that would affect their businesses, and ride out the next 4 years until Trump gets replaced.

    anantksundarampaxmanwatto_cobrasingularity
  • Reply 10 of 31
    mr4jsmr4js Posts: 55member
    Tim Cook needs to do what is best for Apple shareholders, or else Tim Cook needs to go!
    apple ][SpamSandwichanantksundaramkamiltonjdgazmonstrosity
  • Reply 11 of 31
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,527member
    maestro64 said:

    Folks, Trade is not a bad thing and Trump knows this, The issue that exist today is not that US companies build in other countries, the issue is the fact that countries like China and Mexico do not buy US made products. China forces US companies to build product in china to be sold in China, Also, US company can not hold majority ownership in any company in China, the Chinese have to hold 51% of the business, not true in the US. If the US start the discussion with other countries have to buy US made goods and service then we will be on a level playing field.

    One example, there was US company that made Wind Power Generation systems and their technology was the control system that controls the wind turbine. China made this company manufacture the control system in China to win business in China. This company was forces to set up a JV in China to build the control systems, turns out the JV who was 51% owned by the Chinese stole all the IP on the control system and began building them without the US companies involvement and then turned around and sold the systems in the US to various government entities. The US company is now out of business and trying to sue to recover their IP, and our government awarded the business to the lowest bidder which was JV Chinese company.

    This is the problem that need to be fix, what every China requires to sell product in their market the same should be for China companies, they can not import unless the set up shop in the US and someone from the US have to have 51% ownership. This is not all about where is the cheap labor as everyone thinks, China is not as cheep as it was, US company can compete on price these days depending on the product and whether the manufacture can easily be automated.

    An interesting perspective, and I know from my experience in the telecom sector, that rampant IP abuse happens with Chinese companies (many anecdotal accounts of stolen IP).  There was a big story a number years back after Nortel went bankrupt about all of the bugs/taps found in their HQ and the "evidence" was that it was from Chinese competition.  Look also to the Cisco / Huawei case - caught red handed copying the code.

    The question of course is how to structure things so as not to create a wave of backlash protectionism around the globe.
    anantksundaramkamilton
  • Reply 12 of 31
    brucemc said:
    maestro64 said:

    Folks, Trade is not a bad thing and Trump knows this, The issue that exist today is not that US companies build in other countries, the issue is the fact that countries like China and Mexico do not buy US made products. China forces US companies to build product in china to be sold in China, Also, US company can not hold majority ownership in any company in China, the Chinese have to hold 51% of the business, not true in the US. If the US start the discussion with other countries have to buy US made goods and service then we will be on a level playing field.

    One example, there was US company that made Wind Power Generation systems and their technology was the control system that controls the wind turbine. China made this company manufacture the control system in China to win business in China. This company was forces to set up a JV in China to build the control systems, turns out the JV who was 51% owned by the Chinese stole all the IP on the control system and began building them without the US companies involvement and then turned around and sold the systems in the US to various government entities. The US company is now out of business and trying to sue to recover their IP, and our government awarded the business to the lowest bidder which was JV Chinese company.

    This is the problem that need to be fix, what every China requires to sell product in their market the same should be for China companies, they can not import unless the set up shop in the US and someone from the US have to have 51% ownership. This is not all about where is the cheap labor as everyone thinks, China is not as cheep as it was, US company can compete on price these days depending on the product and whether the manufacture can easily be automated.

    An interesting perspective, and I know from my experience in the telecom sector, that rampant IP abuse happens with Chinese companies (many anecdotal accounts of stolen IP).  There was a big story a number years back after Nortel went bankrupt about all of the bugs/taps found in their HQ and the "evidence" was that it was from Chinese competition.  Look also to the Cisco / Huawei case - caught red handed copying the code.

    The question of course is how to structure things so as not to create a wave of backlash protectionism around the globe.
    Honestly, I maintain that China should be kicked out of the WTO (World Trade Organization) for their policies.
    monstrosity
  • Reply 13 of 31

    Named to that board are leaders of Boeing, GE, GM, and IBM, all four of which have a significantly lower net worth than Apple. [sic]
    Their "net worth" (i.e., book value of equity) is not lower than Apple's, their market values of equity are.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 14 of 31

    Some of that change, such as immigration, creates anxiety and uncertainty

    While I have doubts it will happen, slamming the door on these scumbags abusing the H1B visas would be nice.
    Who's abusing H1B visas? Any evidence on who "these scumbags" are?
  • Reply 15 of 31

    thrang said:
    Tim should go, regardless of his personal politics. It's a no-brainer.
    It's not a no-brainer. CEOs get many things etched in stone many months -- sometimes years -- ahead, and they can't "jump" because some politician says so or woke up with a sudden idea. Get real.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31

    thrang said:
    Tim should go, regardless of his personal politics. It's a no-brainer.
    It's not a no-brainer. CEOs get many things etched in stone many months -- sometimes years -- ahead, and they can't "jump" because some politician says so or woke up with a sudden idea. Get real.
    Tim may or may not be able to go, but hopefully he is on top of this enough to send a qualified Apple representative in his place. It only seems prudent and in the interests of the company and the shareholders to stay in the loop.

    For my money, the diversity problem at Apple is the one having to do with the company's political opinions. At least get some Libertarians in there, for Chrissakes.
    edited December 2016 kamilton[Deleted User]
  • Reply 17 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,160member

    Some of that change, such as immigration, creates anxiety and uncertainty

    While I have doubts it will happen, slamming the door on these scumbags abusing the H1B visas would be nice.
    Who's abusing H1B visas? Any evidence on who "these scumbags" are?
    Disney is abusing the system. They fired hundreds of American workers and replaced them with low cost foreign workers under the H1B visa program. There needs to be much lower cap of H1B visas. 
    apple ][pscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Peter Thiel.... "But I must confess that over the last two decades, I have changed radically on the question of how to achieve these goals. Most importantly, I no longer believe that freedom and democracy are compatible ... " This comes from a ultra conservative gay man obsessed with spending his fortune of developing medicine and technologies which will allow (those who can afford it) to live very long extended lives. He hangs out with bigots such as Anne Coulter an enemy of personal freedoms. Is he looking into eugenics, a scientific practice made famous by the 3rd Reich? This is who Trump surrounds himself with. So any optimist here please forget about it being anything but a devastating term for freedom and the future of our great country. 
    ration al
  • Reply 19 of 31

    cali said:
    1.  If Apple is forced to manufacture in the US, also force the Chinese ripoff companies to do so. 

    2.  Ban technology that infringe on American company's patents. 
    Nobody is going to change where they manufacture, give up that dream. Trump is subject to the (thankfully) limits his office allows him. He will not finish his 4 years. 
    ration alpaxman
  • Reply 20 of 31
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,650member
    spice-boy said:

    He will not finish his 4 years. 
    Yeah, and he wont win the election either! Not a chance!

    Oh, wait! :#

    Your ramblings are merely delusional leftist thoughts and wishes that have no basis in reality.

    Enjoy your rubber padded room. B)

    Trump is here to stay for at least 8 years!

    I am going to put money on him to win in 4 years, just like I did in this election, and I will make a nice profit, just like I did this time.

    Meanwhile, leftists will only get more and more violent and more delusional as time passes. We will smack them all down. :D
    gtrmonstrosity[Deleted User]
Sign In or Register to comment.