Bluetooth SIG adopts Bluetooth 5 with 4X rage and 2X speed, devices due within 2 to 6 months

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
The Bluetooth Special Interest Group officially ratified the Bluetooth 5 standard on Wednesday, meaning Apple's next iPhone and iPad models could boast wireless accessory connectivity up to four times the distance of current specification devices at double the speed.




With faster speeds, extended broadcast range, larger packet capacity and other enhancements, the Bluetooth 5 specification promises to further drive the world's ecosystem of connected device, Bluetooth SIG said in an statement. Products integrating the protocol are expected to hit market in the next two to six months.

In addition to increased reliability and operating range for audio accessories, the latest Bluetooth revision promises to revolutionize the so-called Internet of Things by introducing stable connections and mobilizing the adoption of low-energy beacons.

"This means whole-home and building coverage, as well as new use cases for outdoor, industrial, and commercial applications will be a reality," said Mark Powell, Executive Director of Bluetooth SIG. "With the launch of Bluetooth 5, we continue to evolve to meet the needs of IoT developers and consumers while staying true to what Bluetooth is at its core: the global wireless standard for simple, secure, connectivity."

First outlined in June, Bluetooth 5 offers four times the range, two times the speed and eight times broadcast message capacity as compared to the current Bluetooth 4.2 protocol. The new version also includes upgrades that reduce interference with other wireless technologies, a provision designed to streamline IoT device rollouts.

As a non-technical consideration, SIG is adopting a simplified naming convention with Bluetooth 5 and will no longer issue traditional version and point numbers. The exercise in branding should alleviate confusion stemming from the myriad variations seen with prior releases. Bluetooth 4.0, for example, is also marketed as Bluetooth LE, BLE and Bluetooth Smart, among others.

For Apple, a company known as an early adopter of new Bluetooth technology, Bluetooth 5 is expected to start making its way into product revisions next year. The iPad Pro could be the first of Apple's devices to integrate the technology, as a refresh is anticipated for release in the first quarter of 2017. Apple's iPhone, due out next fall, should also make use of the updated communications standard.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,788member
    So can we have our AirPods yet?
    Did Apple hold them back just in case the Bluetooth 5 spec were rejected and changed?
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 2 of 15
    schlackschlack Posts: 700member
    So do the new MBPs have the hardware to support Bluetooth 5?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,276member
    sockrolid said:
    Did Apple hold them back just in case the Bluetooth 5 spec were rejected and changed?
    Of course not.

    schlack said:
    So do the new MBPs have the hardware to support Bluetooth 5?
    Of course not.

    Did you two even read the article?
    fastasleepmacxpressgatorguymike1
  • Reply 4 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,012member
    Answer to BT critics that our BT accessories do not work reliably. BT5 standard is ratified,so soon BT5 chip will be available for inclusion.in next updates of iPhone. Not sure iPad will include it in Spring 2017 release but next update to Macbook will do. Now question is how W1 chip/protocol different from BT5 ?
    edited December 2016 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,276member
    wood1208 said:
    Now question is how W1 chip/protocol different from BT5 ?
    There may be aspects that bridge BT5 slightly closer to what the W1 is capable, but probably only because it's making connectivity more simplified and intelligent compared to BT 4.2 and earlier. I don't see it coming close to what Apple has done as that requires the BT stack with W1-chipset integrating with iOS, watchOS, and macOS to connect, not to mention using your iCloud account syncing and Watch pairing to your iPhone to make a single connection auto-connect with all other devices and switch between them as you need them. I'm sure Apple will use BT 5.0 benefits to make their W2-chip even better, but BT will still continue to be a protocol that will need a good OS and HW to interact properly with the stack.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    iSubiSub Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    You might want to fix up the article title… You have the speed and range increases swapped…
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I am hoping that the new standard addresses one of the annoying things about Bluetooth:   When it fails to connect it simply fails to connect.  Instead of giving any hint as to why, it basically just flips you the finger.   Very annoying.
    mike1am8449
  • Reply 8 of 15
    neilmneilm Posts: 640member
    "Bluetooth SIG adopts Bluetooth 5 with 4X rage"

    So how angry were the previous Bluetooth versions?
    edited December 2016 mike1brertechrcfa
  • Reply 9 of 15
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,791member
    iSub said:
    You might want to fix up the article title… You have the speed and range increases swapped…

    Bluetooth SIG adopts Bluetooth 5 with 4X rage and 2X speed...

    They should probably reserve "4X rage" headline for an article with political overtones. /s
    edited December 2016 mike1
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Just what we need, angrier Bluetooth. :)
    mike1jony0
  • Reply 11 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,979member
    Soli said:
    sockrolid said:
    Did Apple hold them back just in case the Bluetooth 5 spec were rejected and changed?
    Of course not.

    schlack said:
    So do the new MBPs have the hardware to support Bluetooth 5?
    Of course not.

    Did you two even read the article?
    They at least read the headline!

    People...the god damn AirPods will be ready when they're ready. I don't know why everyone is so stuck on when these things will be released. I'm assuming there's some kind of production issue. There's a lot of tiny advanced technology packed into a small package. I'd rather they get it right than force something out that isn't quite ready and is taking longer than planned. This reminds me of the white iPhone 4. 
    edited December 2016 Soli
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,449member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    sockrolid said:
    Did Apple hold them back just in case the Bluetooth 5 spec were rejected and changed?
    Of course not.

    schlack said:
    So do the new MBPs have the hardware to support Bluetooth 5?
    Of course not.

    Did you two even read the article?
    They at least read the headline!

    People...the god damn AirPods will be ready when they're ready. I don't know why everyone is so stuck on when these things will be released. I'm assuming there's some kind of production issue. There's a lot of tiny advanced technology packed into a small package. I'd rather they get it right than force something out that isn't quite ready and is taking longer than planned. This reminds me of the white iPhone 4. 
    People are hung up on it, because Apple screwed this one up badly. You would likely not be giving Samsung such a generous pass if they did the same thing. These AirPods were critical to the successful announcement of the removal of the headphone jack, and then like vaporware failed to materialize following the release of the phone, with no delivery date in sight.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    volcan said:
    iSub said:
    You might want to fix up the article title… You have the speed and range increases swapped…

    Bluetooth SIG adopts Bluetooth 5 with 4X rage and 2X speed...

    They should probably reserve "4X rage" headline for an article with political overtones. /s

    In other news:

    A man who is half Japanese and half Jewish attacked Pearl Schwartz on December 8th...

  • Reply 14 of 15
    I wonder if any of Apple's current devices are Bluetooth 5 ready and just need a software update to support the new spec? Impossible you say? Well it has happened before. When Bluetooth 4.0 was released, certain iOS devices got firmware updates several months after their release to support the new spec. Does the iPhone 7 have the hardware to support Bluetooth 5 built in already? Only time will tell.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 15 of 15
    rcfarcfa Posts: 781member
    neilm said:
    "Bluetooth SIG adopts Bluetooth 5 with 4X rage"

    So how angry were the previous Bluetooth versions?
    Rage against the machine...
    ...times 4!
Sign In or Register to comment.