Apple gives retail employees T-shirt, keepsake credo for holidays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "Give more than we take..."

Except when it comes to money, where they take a lot more than they give.
    singularityperkedel
  • Reply 22 of 58
    dachar said:
    Christmas is a time for giving gifts and New Year for making resolutions. The credo should have been handed out in early January. In comparison with the previous year it appears all that the staff received for a year's hard work is just a t shirt. It is not even a jolly colour. This gives all the wrong messages. For such a succesful  and valuable company Apple appears to be undervaluing its retail staff. Or perhaps they got a bonus as well?
    Given the fact that shopping at an Apple store is such a lousy and frustrating experience that is all they really deserve.  The shirt looks like something you'd see at a Grateful Dead concert. The shirt will go with the cargo shorts and the stocking caps that the employees wear.  Andrea, your stores need a lot of work. 
    Well...I am forecasting that Chipotle is about to lay off thousands of employees next year. Thousands of full sleeved, gauged ear, and other odd body modified employees that will fit nicely in the Apple Store workforce.

So I think an approved for work t-shirt that can not be read from a distance is appropriate. 
  • Reply 23 of 58
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Where I work employees don't get gifts for the holidays. I'd rather get nothing than a cheap t-shirt. I think last year Apple retail employees got Beats headphones.
    "Oh wait, do you have anything else, like, oh I dunno, maybe something I can use, like a tee shirt...?"
    baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Where I work employees don't get gifts for the holidays. I'd rather get nothing than a cheap t-shirt. I think last year Apple retail employees got Beats headphones.
    My first job in data processing was with a Jewish toy company.  The celebrated both Jewish and Christian holidays -- the best!  Back then the big month for Christmas toy orders was August -- and then November for After Christmas sales.

My daughter had a job with a small company that had a party at the end of each month to celebrate their monthly performance vs objectives.   Rather simple affairs -- coffee and doughnuts...  But the real reward was that each employee received an envelope containing one or more $100 bills... that never showed up in their payroll check stub.

• Reply 25 of 58
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    My first job in data processing was with a Jewish toy company.  The celebrated both Jewish and Christian holidays -- the best!  Back then the big month for Christmas toy orders was August -- and then November for After Christmas sales.

My daughter had a job with a small company that had a party at the end of each month to celebrate their monthly performance vs objectives.   Rather simple affairs -- coffee and doughnuts...  But the real reward was that each employee received an envelope containing one or more $100 bills... that never showed up in their payroll check stub.

I didn't get anything from AI this year! :'(

*runs away crying*
    *slams bedroom door*

*Muffled sounds of heavy metal emanate from room*
    bobroosingularitybaconstang
  • Reply 26 of 58
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    altivec88 said:
    Or how about, "Thank you for the TShirt and the Apple Credo". Also, "thank you for reminding me that I work for a wonderful company, with good ethics and that cares about all its employees. Thanks for all the other perks I get throughout the year. And, Apple I understand that you can't get extravagant with the gifts, considering you have tens of thousands of employees and a fiduciary responsibility to the investor/owners.
    And, especially, thanks for the job!".

that would be my approach. 
    although I understand what you are trying to say and in general I agree with you but this yet again shows how disconnected Tim Cook is. 

The point of giving a gift is to show appreciation and how much they value you. Giving something that cost you a few cents to make in China is more of a slap in the face than anything. It would be the equivalent of your boss stopping you in the hall and giving you a penny and words of wisdom (don't eat yellow snow) then expecting you to be oh so appreciative.  I would rather them say "sorry, we aren't giving out Christmas bonuses any more" then this read between the lines message they just doled out to their employees.
    I agree... he is out of touch with his employees and always has been (so was Steve) and this why Apple never gets high marks as the should as an employer. With what seems to be unlimited resources maybe one reason why Apple suffers in all that it does is that the does not attract or keep the best employeess because of the working environment. Its not horrible but could be so much better. Other than the prestige which there is some (not an easy job to get on any level as some might think) once that wears off well you start to think.

If you want to be treated well this is not the place to work (retail is worse but corporate is not as good as other silicon valley techs). This is coming from someone who worked for Apple. What does T me is so many here slam the retail staff? They work so hard and most do an excellent job for low pay and no job opportunities because they believe in this company. Apple takes advantage of this sometimes but as customers now and someone who own lots of stock they DO need to be appreciated more and this is not the way to go about it. 

Its really a top down issue and a management issue. There are so many stories of selfish, legendary upper management at Apple especially in retail. There HR and internal propaganda are legendary and they run a very tight ship (if you don't comply you will suffer). Its like working for an good old boys club wrapped up in a fancy wrapper. All the glitz distracts you that Apple run like an most old fashion companies...

Here is one on the retail level from day long age. Apple had at the time large HDTV's use for the Apple TV display (this was back when TV's like that where 2K or more). They decided to raffle them off to employees and in one instance in Ohio a level senior management person who ran a region of stores included himself in the drawing. Guess what he won them both! He should of never even put himself in the drawing in the first place. Totally greed! His major salary was enough for him and this was an low level employees gift. This was not intended for someone like that but it was allowed (management did nothing and looked the other way, no one complained because this is and how its always been). My point this is exactly what the problem is. Its about respect and this T-shirt thing is very much in line with whats is describe above. 

Apple needs to purge their old ways and create a culture of real giving. Start with your own people are then work outward. Don't act like you change lives when you can't even change the lives of the people who facilitate your success in the first place. T-Shirts are not an proper gift for the holidays. No gift should be given then. How about just thanks... employees are not stupid and they will see through your attempt to seem generous. 
    robertwalter
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Apple really went all out for employee holiday gifts this year, didn't they?
    zonesingularityholyoneGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 58

So your daughter's employer found a way to pay a part of her salary while skipping out on taxes and social security obligations. Not cool. 
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Don't think if I was an employee that I would be enthusiastic about a company t-shirt and a group think brainwashing card.

Only thing worse is if the shirt were a handkerchief and the card were laminated and pocket-size. 

Basically someone has co-opted the traditional holiday demonstration of gratitude to turn it into a company self-congratulatory promotion turning on an advertising t-shirt and an employee reminder of the company mission statement. 

As shareholders, my siblings and I are rather disgusted by this.

We thought AirPods would be both a great gift and a great advertisement of the company's generosity and a great advertisement. 

I was musing that an AirPods gift would hit the bottom line for 30 million until my sister (an artist, no less) said "you calculated with retail price, not manufacturing cost". (LoL.) So then its 20M$ for a bunch of happy employees and a lot of positive buzz.

Instead, I can't imagine another "gift" with better potential for making employees feel less motivated and possibly even insulted.
    GeorgeBMacspliff monkey
  • Reply 30 of 58
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    What Apple should have done is give every employee a chance to work in location they like for a week with full expenses paid. 

Just a thought. 
  • Reply 31 of 58
    KJSKJS Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Once AppleCare sent me an extra iPhone. It was a mistake and when I called to let them know, they had no record of it. I called three times trying to find a person who was willing to organize the return of the iPhone. Without my persistence it would have been lost to them and I would have sold it for $400. Finally this rep acted graciously and said that Apple wanted to offer me a gift for my honesty and being such a quality customer. I was thinking "Wow, maybe I'll get something really cool, like some Ubeat headphones or an iPod or something. I ended up with a plastic dashboard mount clip for my phone. I was pretty disappointed. While this T-shirt is cool, I'm sure the employees have come to understand that the company precident for employee gifts is always better than a t-shirt and they are disappointed too. Apple can do whatever it wants, its there prerogative, but it seems that they could have easily given iTunes cards out as well at very minimal cost.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Apple is entering a world where "insanely great products" are from a past world and entering a world of who offers the highest quality product-- and the product is more than just an electronic gadget.   It is the user experience ...
    ... That means that they need to transition from insanely great gadgets to insanely great people behind those products...

When I worked for an IT company the company president stood up in front of us, looked us in the eye and told us:  "The most important person in this company is not me, it's not the level 4 tech guy, it's the first line guy on the help desk who picks up the phone.  It is at that point the entire reputation of the company rests in his hands and how he handles that call".

Apple needs to treat that first line person with respect.  They need to treat them as professionals by supporting them.  They need to support them by showing that they value them  and also by providing training that makes them better employees....

When I call Apple I expect to talk to somebody who believes in the company and the product -- and who knows more about that product than I do...
    ... I doubt that a T-Shirt and propaganda card will get them to that point.
    singularity
  • Reply 33 of 58
    hucom2000 said:
    I too wonder about the credo:

"Short term profit maximisation at the expense of the most loyal customer base on the planet"

maybe?
    But that isn't how apple manages itself. If it was they wouldn't care about designing a few solid products and would instead pull a Samsung by throwing lots of spaghetti against the wall.

Also, Apple has the highest consumer satisfaction ratings and brand strength, so there goes your theory. (or is "next year" the year they're doomed?) 
    mac_128
  • Reply 34 of 58
    ireland said:
    "Give more than we take..."

Except when it comes to money, where they take a lot more than they give.
    I believe the point of a corporation is to take in money, not give it away. Are you thinking of a charity? Tho Apple gives to some of those, as well as relief funds, as well. 
    mac_128
  • Reply 35 of 58

zone said:
    altivec88 said:
    Or how about, "Thank you for the TShirt and the Apple Credo". Also, "thank you for reminding me that I work for a wonderful company, with good ethics and that cares about all its employees. Thanks for all the other perks I get throughout the year. And, Apple I understand that you can't get extravagant with the gifts, considering you have tens of thousands of employees and a fiduciary responsibility to the investor/owners.
    And, especially, thanks for the job!".

that would be my approach. 
    although I understand what you are trying to say and in general I agree with you but this yet again shows how disconnected Tim Cook is. 

The point of giving a gift is to show appreciation and how much they value you. Giving something that cost you a few cents to make in China is more of a slap in the face than anything. It would be the equivalent of your boss stopping you in the hall and giving you a penny and words of wisdom (don't eat yellow snow) then expecting you to be oh so appreciative.  I would rather them say "sorry, we aren't giving out Christmas bonuses any more" then this read between the lines message they just doled out to their employees.
    I agree... he is out of touch with his employees and always has been (so was Steve) and this why Apple never gets high marks as the should as an employer. With what seems to be unlimited resources maybe one reason why Apple suffers in all that it does is that the does not attract or keep the best employeess because of the working environment. Its not horrible but could be so much better. Other than the prestige which there is some (not an easy job to get on any level as some might think) once that wears off well you start to think.
    Say what? Apple suffers in all that it does? Strange language. If by suffering you mean being the best selling X in multiple categories, sucking up all the profits in multiple sectors, being the largest company, AND having the highest consumer satisfaction ratings....then yeah, they're suffering mightily. 
    mac_128
  • Reply 36 of 58

Don't think if I was an employee that I would be enthusiastic about a company t-shirt and a group think brainwashing card.

Only thing worse is if the shirt were a handkerchief and the card were laminated and pocket-size. 

Basically someone has co-opted the traditional holiday demonstration of gratitude to turn it into a company self-congratulatory promotion turning on an advertising t-shirt and an employee reminder of the company mission statement. 

As shareholders, my siblings and I are rather disgusted by this.

We thought AirPods would be both a great gift and a great advertisement of the company's generosity and a great advertisement. 

I was musing that an AirPods gift would hit the bottom line for 30 million until my sister (an artist, no less) said "you calculated with retail price, not manufacturing cost". (LoL.) So then its 20M$ for a bunch of happy employees and a lot of positive buzz.

Instead, I can't imagine another "gift" with better potential for making employees feel less motivated and possibly even insulted.
    How do you imagine that would go over considering there isn't enough inventory to fulfill orders to actual customers?

Like a lead balloon. 
    pscooter63mac_128
  • Reply 37 of 58

adamc said:
    What Apple should have done is give every employee a chance to work in location they like for a week with full expenses paid. 

Just a thought. 
    So thousands in airfare and hotel, per retail employee? Uh huh. 

When some of you guys are responsible for the money you'll realize why these suggestions are fantasy. 

Meanwhile, working for a big national IT contractor I'll savor my gift -- absolutely nothing. 
    mac_128
  • Reply 38 of 58

Apple is entering a world where "insanely great products" are from a past world and entering a world of who offers the highest quality product-- and the product is more than just an electronic gadget.   It is the user experience ...
    ... That means that they need to transition from insanely great gadgets to insanely great people behind those products...

When I worked for an IT company the company president stood up in front of us, looked us in the eye and told us:  "The most important person in this company is not me, it's not the level 4 tech guy, it's the first line guy on the help desk who picks up the phone.  It is at that point the entire reputation of the company rests in his hands and how he handles that call".

Apple needs to treat that first line person with respect.  They need to treat them as professionals by supporting them.  They need to support them by showing that they value them  and also by providing training that makes them better employees....

When I call Apple I expect to talk to somebody who believes in the company and the product -- and who knows more about that product than I do...
    ... I doubt that a T-Shirt and propaganda card will get them to that point.
    1) When you call Apple you aren't talking to retail. 

2) Apple does train its people.

3) After your CEO told you how you guys were the most important people in the company, did he back it up by splitting his excessive salary amongst your own? If not, it was just talk and quite worthless IMO. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 39 of 58
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    There are links to comments from the 2 previous years of Apple giving employees a gift of some sort for Christmas and every year no matter what Apple gave people in the comments were saying how lame they are with their gifts. I guess everyone expects Apple to give out a free iMac or MacBook to all employees or something. Jesus people, this is retail, I don't care if its Apple or not. Retail is retail. How many companies give you anything for Christmas (retail or non-retail)? 

Last year it was Beats earbuds and a Free Apple Music Subscription and everyone complained about that. The year before it was an Apple branded InCase bag and everyone complained about that. I don't get it...People expect too much sometimes. Maybe next year they just shouldn't give employees anything at all since nobody is gracious enough for what they do offer. Apple offers retail employees all kinds of stuff throughout the year, most likely far more than Sears or Hollister does. Correct me if I'm wrong here but Apple typically pays a little more than most retail places, you get very good training, benefits, discounts on Apple products (sometimes significant discounts), Apple apparel, etc, etc. How many other places do that? Some places like Hollister pay you minimum wage and make YOU as the employee buy their stuff to wear to work as a requirement. They don't give it to you, you have to buy it. And, some of their clothing ain't cheap!
    edited December 2016 mac_128
  • Reply 40 of 58
    My imagining of 'perks' or potential perks throughout the year, Apple employees have access to would include,
     a. Possibility to buy products at a reduced price, also limited family discounts.
     b. Possibility to buy Apple stock at a slightly advantageous price.
     c. Possibility of giving to an approved charity, with an Apple matching gift.
     d. Possibility of help or assistance with continuing education or in house advanced education.

Also, I imagined that Apple finds ways to recognize 'worthy' or identified especially talented or dedicated people from the lowest ranks on up with the knowledge and other Good Job recognition. And, for those who really shine, the possibility of other 'bonuses', not shared with all retail,space employees.

edited December 2016