Apple AirPods now shipping to preorder customers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
Customers lucky enough to have snagged a pair of Apple AirPods when product sales went live last week recently received word that their orders have shipped, and are scheduled to arrive as promised on Dec 21.

As seen above, early bird buyers who placed orders within the first two hours of AirPods availability began to receive shipping confirmations by email Saturday morning.

AirPods, Apple's first branded wireless headphone product, went up for sale on Dec. 13 after a month of delays. A hotly anticipated item, initial supply was quickly depleted, pushing back shipment estimates to four weeks mere hours after release. Apple's webpage shows current delivery dates moved into February.

Alongside preorder shipments, AirPods are rumored to land in brick-and-mortar Apple retail stores, as well as mobile carrier outlets and Authorized Apple Resellers, as soon as Monday. Exact store allotments are unknown, but judging by preorder demand, supplies will be extremely constrained.

Prior to last week's surprise release, some speculated Apple would miss the lucrative holiday shopping season due to unforeseen production issues related to audio syncing. AppleInsider's own sources corroborated reports of engineering problems, but said AirPods was on track to ship before year's end.

Earlier this week, AppleInsider took an early look at a production model and came away impressed with the hardware. Flawless syncing between each earbud, combined with deep software integration and touch controls, makes for an immersive experience not found with competing products.

For those who didn't make the preorder window, AppleInsider is giving away a pair of AirPods to one lucky winner. To enter, subscribe to our YouTube channel and leave a comment in our AirPods giveaway video or follow us on Instagram. The entry period ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Dec. 21, and the winner will be announced in a video posted to our YouTube channel on Dec. 22.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Mine are poised for Dec 20 delivery! (Canada)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Mines are on the way, for delivery on the  21th, can't wait 
    watto_cobrastevenoz
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Someone got theirs early.

edited December 2016 jleemStrangeDaysjSnivelyjustin freitaswatto_cobrastangaddictstangaddictnamechanged - contact staffboredumbmacgui
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Mine are due the 21st! BOOM!
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I really like this news site and will likely always come here for Apple news, but this is pretty bad in terms of positive slant. 

Apple missed the holiday season big time with this one. They touted an end of October release and over shot that date by a country mile. You rightfully point that out, but I'd hardly call this releasing in time for the holiday season. A handful of people who happened to order within a couple of hours of a release that was a surprise (December, not October) will luck out. However, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people this holiday season. 
    anantksundaramrogifan_newavon b7mac_128entropys
  • Reply 6 of 36
    I really like this news site and will likely always come here for Apple news, but this is pretty bad in terms of positive slant. 

Apple missed the holiday season big time with this one. They touted an end of October release and over shot that date by a country mile. You rightfully point that out, but I'd hardly call this releasing in time for the holiday season. A handful of people who happened to order within a couple of hours of a release that was a surprise (December, not October) will luck out. However, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people this holiday season."

If your holiday is ruined because of a pair of headphones, you have bigger things to worry about.
    StrangeDayslkruppmac_128gticusstevenoz
  • Reply 7 of 36
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator

Apple missed the holiday season big time with this one. They touted an end of October release and over shot that date by a country mile. You rightfully point that out, but I'd hardly call this releasing in time for the holiday season. A handful of people who happened to order within a couple of hours of a release that was a surprise (December, not October) will luck out. However, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people this holiday season. 
    You should listen to our Podcast for @nhughes thoughts on the shipping delay. In fact, everyone should go listen to the podcast. : )
    ai46
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Unfortunately, my ears are built to be not AirPod-worthy (or Apple earbud-worthy, for that matter). I would love to have ordered a pair that fit better. I think I'll wait for the Beats with the W1. 

It does seem, however, that Apple may have missed blockbuster sales opportunity for the Christmas season. 
    avon b7dewmeai46entropys
  • Reply 9 of 36
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Mine are due the 21st! BOOM!
    I missed the opening bell, but I have a set coming on Dec 29th
  • Reply 10 of 36
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member

Well, think of the disaster that would have followed if they were released on time, but didn't work right.  
    StrangeDaysanantksundarammacxpressmac_128dewmeai46
  • Reply 11 of 36

Some people are totally clueless, or at least unappreciative, of what it takes to get a new product thought of, designed, engineered, tooled, production/supply lines set up, packaging designed and produced, pricing, marketing/advertising, logistics, etc., etc.,—over literally YEARS!! No, none of that matters if one's precious holiday shopping season is ruined because Apple cares enough NOT to release a product until it's really as good as they can make it.

This will most likely be yet another shining new product to add to Apple's ever-more-attractive ecosystem of products, which continues to attract more and more customers every year. This next trip around the sun will bring us yet another holiday shopping season before you know it.
    anantksundaramdewmemac_128tmayStrangeDaysNotsofast
  • Reply 12 of 36

Some people are totally clueless, or at least unappreciative, of what it takes to get a new product thought of, designed, engineered, tooled, production/supply lines set up, packaging designed and produced, pricing, marketing/advertising, logistics, etc., etc.,—over literally YEARS!! No, none of that matters if one's precious holiday shopping season is ruined because Apple cares enough NOT to release a product until it's really as good as they can make it.

This will most likely be yet another shining new product to add to Apple's ever-more-attractive ecosystem of products, which continues to attract more and more customers every year. This next trip around the sun will bring us yet another holiday shopping season before you know it.
    Why did Apple announce them in September with end of October shipping if, other than for a handful of people, they wouldn't be available until the new year? If this was any other company people here wouldn't be so generous.
    mac_128
  • Reply 13 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member

Your comment is rather unfair. If your 'years in development new product' is not ready for prime time, then don't announce it, much less give an eestimated ship date.

Should you decide to announce it, then have to delay, be aware that you will face some flak, more so if your product is the perfect accessory for another product you announced jointly with it.

If the delay is really due to something that just came out of the blue, then come forward and explain it.

Let's not be fooled, they announced the product knowing the risks. They took the risk because Xmas is a key shopping season and just announcing the product would have people holding their cash back, waiting to order.

If in the end you screw up, just accept the blame.
    anantksundarammac_128rogifan_newentropysstangaddict
  • Reply 14 of 36
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Why did Apple announce them in September with end of October shipping if, other than for a handful of people, they wouldn't be available until the new year? If this was any other company people here wouldn't be so generous.
    If we knew the actual reason why they were delayed your question would be answered, but we'll probably never know other than speculation. I don't think Apple intended on shipping these that late. Obviously something came up pretty important that delayed the shipping of this product. Would you rather they rushed it out and had a flop of a product off the bat? Then, people would be all over Tim Cook about shipping products before they're ready now just to make a few extra bucks for the holiday season. You know people would have done that. There are people all over these Mac sites just waiting for Tim to screw up so they can call him out on it. Plus, you typically only get one chance to make a first impression with a new product and if they would have shipped these with known issues they might not be very successful. 
    mac_128StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    My purely outsider guess is that Apple would have rather had these ready earlier than later, and that contrary to what some people seem to think, that the late shipping date was something they wanted and was planned. 

OF COURSE they wanted to ship these as originally planned. And they COULD HAVE, but some problem UNFORESEEN issue must have arisen, or they WOULD HAVE.

So among their options were to ship a product that fell short of their design goals, and deal with the flak, or wait until they deem the product ready, then ship and deal with the flak. 

They had a scheduled date, something came up, they announced a delay, and after a short delay started shipping. It will take time. These I WANT MINE NOW temper tantrums and mindless bitchfests would be funny if not so pathetic. 

On the flip side, congratulations to those who got in on the first wave. The fickle goddess Opportunity slammed the window shut before even I knew it was open. Because a ton of people will be haunting the stores for these, I'll probably make one attempt since I want to make one trip anyway. Otherwise I'll just order and wait. In the meantime I'll make like Diogenes and look for honest reviews as they surface.
    mac_128StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    LoneStar88 said:

Very true. I once worked on a fairly large new product line release and we discovered a very serious communication issue within days of the planned release of the first wave of products. While the likelihood of the problem manifesting itself in the field was fairly low the customer impact would have been exceedingly high. We incurred a 2-3 month delay to fix the issue and verify that the issue was in fact fixed. Some customers were very pissed and our management was irate with the team, but when it shipped it worked and was reliable. Most customers will soon forgive & forget most shipping delays if the product delivers and is reliable. Shipping a product "on time" that suffers from functional, performance, or reliability issues is rarely if ever forgiven and can lead to companies going out of business. There's a big difference between pissing off customers and harming customers (materially, financially, or physically), or at least when you're not Samsung.

To the point of "they shouldn't have announced it" - you'll have to understand the dynamics between design, engineering, marketing, partnering, supply chain, sales channels, setting customer expectations, etc. Many of these functions require lead time, planning, logistics, and basically lots of teams working in parallel towards a coordinated release.  Of course there is an expectation that all participants will hold up their end of the deal to make the dates when they "go public." But with any complex engineering endeavor there can be unexpected late breaking surprises in any function, not just engineering, that throws a monkey wrench into the release. Dock workers can go on strike and your raw material or finished goods are stuck in transit. Stuff happens and you deal with it. Empty Christmas stockings are a bummer but that's life.
    edited December 2016 mac_128LoneStar88StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 36
    macxpress said:

If we knew the actual reason why they were delayed your question would be answered, but we'll probably never know other than speculation. I don't think Apple intended on shipping these that late. Obviously something came up pretty important that delayed the shipping of this product. Would you rather they rushed it out and had a flop of a product off the bat? Then, people would be all over Tim Cook about shipping products before they're ready now just to make a few extra bucks for the holiday season. You know people would have done that. There are people all over these Mac sites just waiting for Tim to screw up so they can call him out on it. Plus, you typically only get one chance to make a first impression with a new product and if they would have shipped these with known issues they might not be very successful. 
    No I'd rather they just wait and not ship until they had sufficient quantity. Shipping to only a handful of people just so they can say they got these out in time for the holidays is no good imo.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:

No I'd rather they just wait and not ship until they had sufficient quantity. Shipping to only a handful of people just so they can say they got these out in time for the holidays is no good imo.
    So you'd rather they sit on inventory they have and really piss people off? I'm glad you don't run a company...
    StrangeDaysNotsofastmac_128brucemc
  • Reply 19 of 36

uh really? because they ran into unexpected problems, obviously. as Gruber's birdies suggested it was manufacturing problems at scale. this shit isn't easy. 

its like some people are personally offended that stuff happens. but you want to talk about people being generous to certain companies -- see samsung. phones literally explode, no big thing. ditching the headphone jack, no outcry. only Apple. 
    edited December 2016 anantksundarammac_128macxpressbrucemc
  • Reply 20 of 36

avon b7 said:

Your comment is rather unfair. If your 'years in development new product' is not ready for prime time, then don't announce it, much less give an eestimated ship date.

Should you decide to announce it, then have to delay, be aware that you will face some flak, more so if your product is the perfect accessory for another product you announced jointly with it.

If the delay is really due to something that just came out of the blue, then come forward and explain it.

Let's not be fooled, they announced the product knowing the risks. They took the risk because Xmas is a key shopping season and just announcing the product would have people holding their cash back, waiting to order.

If in the end you screw up, just accept the blame.
    What does accepting the blame mean to you? It's a new product so they delayed it, there's nothing more to be done. They don't need to take a full page ad out and apologize. Perspective, people.
    edited December 2016 mac_128brucemc